Steel Taipan Construction - Dreamworld Mack launched roller coaster

Blue Fire Feature   

153 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

Ah, I getcha. I did fumble my words a bit so I understand that you're confused. 

I'll elaborate; what I mean by this is that in the current thrills dominated market it's going to be very hard to dethrone rivals based on theming alone. If, for whatever reason, Steel Taipan is bad then no amount of theming will save it. If it's objective is to compete with rivals for that top spot then it's going to need to achieve that within the ride experience alone. Similarly, because that trend has been set, you're going to have a really hard time pushing anything like a dark-ride or slow-moving deeply themed experienced for the top spot because it's just not what our market is after.

5 minutes ago, Coasterlife said:

Something Huge!!!!

I WAS WAITING SO LONG FOR THIS VIDEO. The reveal of the train (to the GP of course)...

Very sorry for releasing such energy into this forum. Although the train looks good, those eyes... Just destroyed by the fact that they won't light up... But, fair call as to why they won't.

Edited by Im Hungry

1 hour ago, Im Hungry said:

I WAS WAITING SO LONG FOR THIS VIDEO. The reveal of the train (to the GP of course)...

Very sorry for releasing such energy into this forum. Although the train looks good, those eyes... Just destroyed by the fact that they won't light up... But, fair call as to why they won't.

Do we actually know it they will light up or not? I have not really had any word on it but i would hope that they did even though you would only likely see them lit up at night events. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coasterlife said:

Do we actually know it they will light up or not? I have not really had any word on it but i would hope that they did even though you would only likely see them lit up at night events. 

Given the following snake-headed zero cars, this zero car model tends to come with lights (this isn't saying much, as the standard model can be fitted with lights too):

ICON | The New Double Launch RollercoasterHelix (roller coaster) - WikipediaVelociraptor Roller Coaster at IMG World's Of Adventure in Dubai - YouTube

Steel Taipan will be the odd one out (unless the lights are present behind the eye and light the entire eye up to make it 'glow'):

image.thumb.png.72b2f3035a7ce7211fcbbe120059e0d5.png

Icon pic by Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Helix pic from Wikipedia

Velociraptor pic from Falcon's Creative Group on YouTube

Steel Taipan pic from Dreamworld on TikTok

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gazza said:

I think I'll be damn close, there will visitors that prefer ST to DCR or even SE because it "has loops" and a triple launch.

Im not sure how many people on here have ridden BF or it's clones but it's a top ride in the world with a really well balanced layout and the final roll is the best thing ever, a true WTF moment you have to experience to understand.

Would you prefer the final roll in Blue Fire or the initial roll in Takabisha?

Gawd, night and day.

The roll at the start of Takabish is not really too different to the initial roll on Abyss at AW, or even the final roll on GL. Both a bit slow with hangtime, still “fun” though.

Meanwhile the one on BF / ST is taken at full speed with a bit of whip and spins very rapidly.

(Which reminds me, the corkscrews on ST will be good as well, they have the flick at the top which gives you a bit of a head spin compared to the fairly continuous spiral you would get on Corkscrew/SV)

https://www.coastercrazy.com/forums/holiday-park-26-04-09-europa-park-27-28-04-09-t20459.html

This last barrel roll is the most intense element I have ever experienced, you really get the felling to fall out of your seat with great force. Damn what a awesome ride, best in the world possibly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/74r0t3/coaster_discussion_of_the_day_16_blue_fire_europa/

the final barrel roll (normally an element I dislike) has a shocking kick to it that's unlike anything else I've felt.

http://www.incrediblecoasters.com/BlueFirePhotos.html

A nice chance to...HOLY SH*T!!! OH MY GOD!!! We just PLOW through an inline twist, and if you thought those corkscrews were agressive, this final inline twist on Blue Fire is just...dumbfounding. It is the 2nd strongest inversion on any coaster, only losing out to Ispeed.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

I'll elaborate; what I mean by this is that in the current thrills dominated market it's going to be very hard to dethrone rivals based on theming alone..

Is it the guest or the theme parks pushing the thrills dominated market?  If you compare MW or DW to Disney, who has the most thrill rides?  How many Hyper coasters does Disney have?  How many spins and spews do they have?  How many Aussie families travel to the USA and visit 6 flags over Universal or Disney?

I believe people love non-thrill rides and if you put a good non-thrill ride against Rivals you could beat it.   (have you never played roller coaster tycoon?)

10 hours ago, Im Hungry said:

On second glance, it looks like Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon:

No.

10 hours ago, joz said:

Props to them for the video. That's the first bit of actual hype I've seen for any ride for a long time. 

I thought it was ok too but I thought the logo on the train was shown too many times, if I was to be picky.   (that's because I really don't like the logo)

@Slickit's always good to get your thoughts on this stuff?  (you can even tell us if it's yours😀)

13 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Can we get back to discussing concrete now?

You need to drink a cup of cement and wait your turn.👍

9 minutes ago, New display name said:

Is it the guest or the theme parks pushing the thrills dominated market?  If you compare MW or DW to Disney, who has the most thrill rides?  How many Hyper coasters does Disney have?  How many spins and spews do they have?  How many Aussie families travel to the USA and visit 6 flags over Universal or Disney?

I'm referring to Australia here. It's been a long time since our theme parks have shown interest in anything beyond thrills except for Sky Voyager but even though its touted as 'Moderate Thrills' with an epic up-beat trailer on their website which shows you that they don't have faith in the themed experience of the attraction alone https://www.dreamworld.com.au/rides-experiences/family-rides/sky-voyager/ 

I feel VRTP and Ardent got stuck in a race to the bottom when they were competing for world records back in the day and that just set the trend for the industry. Even if you placed something like Mystic Manor in Dreamworld they'd have a really hard time selling that within the market they've created and I feel the lukewarm reception of Sky Voyager also shows this. 

believe people love non-thrill rides and if you put a good non-thrill ride against Rivals you could beat it. 

As do I. It's why people decide to travel internationally for a richer theme park experience, but within the domestic market you're basically just stuck with thrills. 

Great points and I absolutely agree with everything you say here, but in a way I feel it only shows further that locally our parks have no idea when it comes to rich, themed experiences. Integration, story, execution, etc. were all fumbled with the project and those can't just be simply palmed off. I still have no idea why they made some decisions like the facade when they could have just as easily made it look like a Victorian airline hanger that would fit the land and themed it to the early days of flight in Australia that leads into what the current film, but instead we got a modern airport baggage claim facility? I like Sky Voyager - It's a fun, solid experience once you actually get to riding it but nothing about the themed experience is inspiring. 

I've said it before but if our parks really want to move forward then they need to stop competing domestically and start having their eyes set on the world stage. A lot of people regard the early days of Movie World as being the peak of themed entertainment in Australia and it makes sense because it was designed by C. V. Wood who was the chief developer of Disneyland. Thanks to Disney getting trigger happy with their layoffs there is now a ton of really experienced designers, engineers and artists who are floating around waiting for their next opportunity and if one of our parks wants to get the leg up they should be scooping up that talent, or at least embracing the already brilliant creative minds that exist within Australia instead of executives feeling like each project is their personal clay pot that they need to mould. 

On that note, I think the painted concrete is nice. Don't @ me. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

Great points and I absolutely agree with everything you say here, but in a way I feel it only shows further that locally our parks have no idea when it comes to rich, themed experiences. Integration, story, execution, etc. were all fumbled with the project and those can't just be simply palmed off. I still have no idea why they made some decisions like the facade when they could have just as easily made it look like a Victorian airline hanger that would fit the land and themed it to the early days of flight in Australia that leads into what the current film, but instead we got a modern airport baggage claim facility? I like Sky Voyager - It's a fun, solid experience once you actually get to riding it but nothing about the themed experience is inspiring. 

I've said it before but if our parks really want to move forward then they need to stop competing domestically and start having their eyes set on the world stage. A lot of people regard the early days of Movie World as being the peak of themed entertainment in Australia and it makes sense because it was designed by C. V. Wood who was the chief developer of Disneyland. Thanks to Disney getting trigger happy with their layoffs there is now a ton of really experienced designers, engineers and artists who are floating around waiting for their next opportunity and if one of our parks wants to get the leg up they should be scooping up that talent, or at least embracing the already brilliant creative minds that exist within Australia instead of executives feeling like each project is their personal clay pot that they need to mould. 

On that note, I think the painted concrete is nice. Don't @ me. 

100% agreed - I think, simply put - as noted by imagineers in the case of Bermuda Triangle, we used to make really good shit for a lot less than anyone else. But during the GFC we traded passionate, skilled in-house creative for cost-savings and risk aversion, and we're yet to get the balance right. And finding that balance will require chairmen and CEO's who want to act less like Walt Disney (micro-managing decision making at every level) and more like Bob Iger (supporting and allowing space for professionals to flourish). 

Edited by Slick
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, New display name said:

I believe people love non-thrill rides and if you put a good non-thrill ride against Rivals you could beat it.   (have you never played roller coaster tycoon?)

Is that you, @pushbutton?

47 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Umm, no?

We're talking about the coaster, it's entirely relevant to the topic.

Quit trying to derail every topic or poll with what you think people should be talking about.

*whoosh*

Both the major parks have gone the way of a Maccas version of a theme park.  Yes, it might be profitable, but it never leaves you satisfied and sometimes it gives you gas. 

It feels like Village is going down the slippery slope of DW with their current management.  The state Bikash left SW in was crazy.  I have never seen so many bad reviews thrown at a theme park in such a short time.

2 hours ago, New display name said:

Both the major parks have gone the way of a Maccas version of a theme park.  Yes, it might be profitable, but it never leaves you satisfied and sometimes it gives you gas. 

It feels like Village is going down the slippery slope of DW with their current management.  The state Bikash left SW in was crazy.  I have never seen so many bad reviews thrown at a theme park in such a short time.

Shit, be careful or he might randomly appear to try and take legal action against you for pointing out his failures.