Steel Taipan Construction - Dreamworld Mack launched roller coaster

Blue Fire Feature   

153 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

But I mean, I think the presentation of this already seems better than DCR.

The lack of a connecting path wont sink or swim the ride.

Re onboard audio, I've come around to the view that it basically a non negotiable for any major ride these days, if I were running the show :P

I'd sacrifice other things to have it.

6 minutes ago, Gazza said:

But I mean, I think the presentation of this already seems better than DCR.

You mean the extra (3rd) dimension?

5 minutes ago, New display name said:

^absolutely not this.   @DaptoFunlandGuy

How can you think the success of DW hangs on one concrete path?

It doesn't. Its the 10,000 little things that make your day. This is just one of those things. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, New display name said:

^absolutely not this.   @DaptoFunlandGuy

How can you think the success of DW hangs on one concrete path?

It doesn’t. Dreamworld stopped being the Dreamworld everyone knew not by one big cut, but by a thousand small cuts. Yesterday it was no steam train, tomorrow it’s confusing pathways, continue ad neaseum until you have a park where six attractions close in a space of a few years. 

Also - onboard audio is the most gimmicky shit ever and I stand by that. We’re 0/3 for working onboard audio in coasters in Australia, and every coaster I’ve been on that has it, they need to crank it in order for you to hear it over the sound of the wind passing your ears, meaning it always sounds patchy, tinny and awful. Waste of money. 

Edited by Slick
  • Like 2

I think Mack have a more robust system.

In Australia GL basically picked stock music so it didn't really add much emotion and Arkham was so quiet and useless it was a waste of money.

But yeah, onboard audio slaps when it's properly composed and matches the ride movement, like when you ride Space Mountain and there is this specific point in the soundtrack where the music drops and you go down the first drop and turn and its the coolest thing ever

And even stuff more recently like Taron it just added a whole extra layer to to the experience for me.

7 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

Changing topic for a bit, I spotted this on Instagram today, why would he have an issue with parkz? 

5D490075-6103-42E7-B9D0-F31D18D1C81D.jpeg

donotswear.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Mack did a good job sourcing onboard audio from IMAscore for Blue Fire, so it's sure to never disappoint (as the onboard audio works).

Also, if Dreamworld can build new fences along the train line, surely it wouldn't hurt to make a new path (as it proves to be of good use). But like... money.

Edited by Im Hungry

On-board audio when done well is spectacular. It's why Space Mountain at Disneyland is so much stronger than Tokyo Disneyland even though they're the same layout. It's what turns Rock n Rollercoaster from an Ehh ride to a fun coaster for me. California Screaming, Incredicoaster, X2, Rip Ride Rockit, Hollywood Dream The Ride are all better in my opinion with their on-board audio than the would be without it.

Just because it's been done poorly in Australia doesn't mean it's a poor idea to me.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Gazza said:

But yeah, onboard audio slaps when it's properly composed and matches the ride movement, like when you ride Space Mountain and there is this specific point in the soundtrack where the music drops and you go down the first drop and turn and its the coolest thing ever

The system that Disney uses for Space Mountain's audio is insane.  It calculates the velocity of the train and it's position on the attraction to live mix the audio so that specific audio cues are hit at the perfect moment. Basically the soundtrack is split into dozens of parts and the audio system determines when those parts need to start and end.

Music is an incredible tool which needs to be used right in creative mediums. Just having music isn't enough. Properly syncing tonal and atmospheric intention with the right 'cues' will make all the difference. In this regard I think you can elevate a good attraction to an excellent one with music alone which you can witness first hand with the massive difference between Tokyo Disney's Space Mountain and Disneyland's Space Mountain.

Edit: I should have read Luke's reply before replying because we basically said the exact same thing haha. 

Edited by CaptainLazerGuns
cues
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 2

24 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

Changing topic for a bit, I spotted this on Instagram today, why would he have an issue with parkz? 

5D490075-6103-42E7-B9D0-F31D18D1C81D.jpeg

In my opinion, it's relevant, and its appropriately credited. This would meet any required fair use definition. News media routinely takes random people's social images and use them in stories where they're relevant and in context with appropriate credit given and this should be no different. 

Especially considering Parkz' position on commercial self promotion - He should be quite pleased his content is being shared to a potentially new audience. I don't follow this account, but i'll make sure I do now so I can include any relevant images in future parkz forum posts! ;)

20 minutes ago, Gazza said:

I think Mack have a more robust system.

In Australia GL basically picked stock music so it didn't really add much emotion and Arkham was so quiet and useless it was a waste of money.

And even stuff more recently like Taron it just added a whole extra layer to to the experience for me.

donotswear.jpg

Space Mountain (both old and new versions) absolutely bang. They're perfectly done and show how to do it right. Disney was doing this in the 90s. How are we here 25+ years later and still not getting it right? 

Sorry @Slick but onboard audio does well, it just has to be DONE well.

I had a big long rebuttal planned out - but @MrLukeCarroll already said it for me:

8 minutes ago, MrLukeCarroll said:

On-board audio when done well is spectacular. It's why Space Mountain at Disneyland is so much stronger than Tokyo Disneyland even though they're the same layout. It's what turns Rock n Rollercoaster from an Ehh ride to a fun coaster for me. California Screaming, Incredicoaster, X2, Rip Ride Rockit, Hollywood Dream The Ride are all better in my opinion with their on-board audio than the would be without it.

Just because it's been done poorly in Australia doesn't mean it's a poor idea to me.

1 minute ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

The system that Disney uses for Space Mountain's audio is insane.  It calculates the velocity of the train and it's position on the attraction to live mix the audio so that specific audio queues are hit at the perfect moment. Basically the soundtrack is split into dozens of parts and the audio system determines when those parts need to start and end.

Music is an incredible tool which needs to be used right in creative mediums. Just having music isn't enough. Properly syncing tonal and atmospheric intention with the right 'queues' will make all the difference. In this regard I think you can elevate a good attraction to an excellent one with music alone which you can witness first hand with the massive difference between Tokyo Disney's Space Mountain and Disneyland's Space Mountain.

*i think you mean "cues" - and i thought Paris was the only space with live-mixed sync audio? Or did the other versions get the upgrade when they moved to the new soundtrack? 

If Paris isn't the only one, it was at the very least the first, but I was certain the USA versions (and hong kong) didn't have that extra feature (no clue about tokyo)

For Steel Taipan, a custom audio track from dispatch till first launch would be perfect. Don't bother with on-board audio. Just install some high quality outdoor speakers in the station and along the u-turn and where the train will pause before the launch. Whilst your at it, put speakers along the break run. It will help build a lot of atmosphere, suspense and theme.

Similarly, I think this type of 'nearby on ride audio' would be a great addition to DC Rivals. Up the lift hill and potentially when you hit the break run.

24 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Given the proximity to observers though - doesn't that kind of ruin the effect? I guess i'm imagining the Arkham audio for the lift hill and wondering whether it would have the same impact if the observation area could hear it too?

I don't think it would ruin anything for observers. In fact it would build anticipation and excitement for non-riders, as they can hear when a launch is about to happen.

Some examples of what I was thinking off: Incredicoaster/California Screamin' uses speakers nearby to do the launch countdown. Mako and Manta at SeaWorld Orlando use speakers on the lift hill to deliver custom build up audio.

Probably the most perfect example is Taron at Phantasialand. As it's a launch coaster that starts off with a u-turn, pauses and then launches (most similar to ST). The speakers nearby play a riser build up score. Here's a video that you can hear it on.

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1

IMAScore have done heaps of work for parks in Europe. A lot of European parks in recent years have involved them for onboard audio on their new build coasters (ie Helix, Karnan, Movie Park Studio Tour, Taron, The Smiler)

That being said I don't expect Ardent to be setting any precedents by going above and beyond to hire these guys to do a score for Steel Taipan but man it would be a nice touch. But it's better to have nothing than try and half ass it by having freestyler on the speakers. On board audio is either something you have to do really well or just don't do at all. Given I don't see DW doing it well, effort should be instead spent elsewhere in integrating the coaster into the park.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 2

On 01/08/2021 at 8:12 PM, themagician said:

567F8C63-E2F4-4566-BC5E-E2FE83C1D38C.jpeg

I can’t imagine the path I proposed would even cost that much more either. The GD entry is roughly at the same level as ST and the distance between isn’t that far either. There would be some steel works involved, but it isn’t a major span. I guess the other major cost would be the fencing and shelter to seperate guest moving through the area from the track, which does get low and tight at some points 

29 minutes ago, themagician said:

I can’t imagine the path I proposed would even cost that much more either. The GD entry is roughly at the same level as ST and the distance between isn’t that far either. There would be some steel works involved, but it isn’t a major span. I guess the other major cost would be the fencing and shelter to seperate guest moving through the area from the track, which does get low and tight at some points 

The problem with that is that spaghetti junction will be getting removed and having a brand new elevated pathway joining it would be very counteractive towards that. 

8 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

The problem with that is that spaghetti junction will be getting removed and having a brand new elevated pathway joining it would be very counteractive towards that. 

When is it getting removed. I know there was talk years ago about it, but I thought that had been scrapped 

They still need to provide wheelchair access to giant drop, so at least one ramp is required. Stairs also needed. They can certainly remove some of the elevated walkway, but not all of it, so there would still easily be something you could connect to if you were to flyover from the ST footprint.