Steel Taipan Construction - Dreamworld Mack launched roller coaster

Blue Fire Feature   

153 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

43 minutes ago, New display name said:

What happens if everybody wants to do the spin?

Now you're just talking to yourself again.

29 minutes ago, joz said:

It was mentioned a while back that only one train would have the spinner. Also the 'high capacity' train is the same as both Rivals trains.

I honestly don't recall it being mentioned that there was only one spinner, but I DO remember talk about what if the spinning car isn't on track, so i guess I kinda do?

Same as rivals? Guys! YOU CAN RIDE IT.....

https://youtu.be/celXMa80JtM?t=6

Edited by DaptoFunlandGuy

45 minutes ago, joz said:

Also with 2 trains, the mid course block run is just a pointless mood killer. Pity we couldn't get a nice floater airtime hill there.

Needs to be a zero g roll IMO, god damn a coaster here needs that element urgently.

But I'm guessing Mack are trying to leave as much alone as possible, hence adding those wierd intermediate supports rather than thickening the spine.

Re the spinning car. I would have thought it would have made sense to have an extra standard car that could be swapped out so that the spinning car can always be on track.

Or IDK just order an extra spinning car if it gets popular.

Operationally, this will work a bit better than DCR in that a train stacked can roll into the station and not have to negotiate a slow U turn.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 1

Sort of related to the 'capacity v income' thing, one stat I would love to have is how many onride photos are sold per 1000 riders. As in, aside from pure make your park better, intangible stuff, what is the tangible result to revenue when you increase capacity?

Also what would it do to revenue if the kiosks at the end of rivals, instead of showing you a video and scanning a barcode, that you then take across the park, queue up and then buy, what would it be if it was 'Buy a digital copy of your photo NOW, $10 Eftpos only, with a QR code in the email to get it printed in park for the remainder of the cost?

If the stats exist, surely you could make a decision outside of the intangible 'The queue is too long' and have a way of quantifying the return on increased capacity.

• Like 1

^rivals on-ride video doesn't happen anymore. Photo only.

And Village have the Fast Photo pass. Once activated, you can get a barcode on your VRTP app (or a linked wristband) and just scan the QR code at the kiosks and it automatically uploads to your Fast Photo pass account. 

I know dreamworld had this at one point as well, although this was pre-covid, so pre-app-with-ticketing-in-built and not sure if they've upgraded that.

5 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Once activated, you can get a barcode on your VRTP app (or a linked wristband) and just scan the QR code at the kiosks and it automatically uploads to your Fast Photo pass account. 

"You can jump through a bunch of hoops and pre purchase on ride photos" is not not even nearly the same as "You just got off the ride, $10 for a digital onride photo, right now, no bullshit"

yeah i know, but in the age of loose item policies and the like (see also: Superman), its closer to what you were asking for than the status quo.

Pretty much the same system exists in Disney parks around the world too. I've used it successfully at both Hong Kong and California and they're far better value than individual $10 a pop photos.

And you're being a bit OTT to talk about hoops. You don't have to prepurchase it - you can always pay afterwards, provided you used the (free to obtain, and available at ride exits) wristband. I'm sure you can also just purchase individual digitals if you like, and i'm sure they would probably be $10 each...  but at $40 for a year, why would you?

48 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

You don't have to prepurchase it - you can always pay afterwards, provided you used the (free to obtain, and available at ride exits) wristband.

Step 1. Get a wristband

Step 2. Wear said wristband

Step 3. Walk halfway across the park

Step 4. Queue up

Step 5. Pay and provide address for digital photo delivery

That's not handy. By the time you've done that the adrenaline had worn off, and when you see the queue at the photo shop with no adrenaline, do you know what? Maybe Susie's face isn't so funny that we need to buy that photo after all. I know there are a lot of passes and things floating around, but most people STILL enjoy parks by going to them, and enjoying them in a spontaneous way. I'm not anti wristband to keep your photos together, but it's one more stupid system for people need to learn in order to spend money.

Edited by joz

Needs to be

>Pick your photo on the touchscreeen

>Tap card to purchase

>Type in either your phone number or email to get the photo sent to you.

Edit: and obviously at the point where you tap your card, you could also have the option to scan your photo band or pass instead for free.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Needs to be

>Pick your photo on the touchscreeen

>Tap card to purchase

>Type in either your phone number or email to get the photo sent to you.

Exactly what I'm saying. If you had that setup, how much money would you make verses the current arse about model? My hunch it would be a decent amount more, and would make investments in extra ride capacity more worth while.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to R&D this product which lets face it pretty much every park will want, I'll happily sell the idea for a small fee.

Yeah fair enough.

Dreamworld, at one point, included the photo pass with every annual pass. (not sure if they still do).

Village offers it as an add-on when you buy passes \ tickets online. 

The economics of it if you know how much a hard copy photo is is a no-brainer to add-on a $40 product at time of purchase.

With the new VRTP app holding passes, tickets and vouchers, the photo pass is already on your phone. You can open the pass, and scan the barcode at any kiosk, anytime. All you have to do (once) is give them an email address for the activation email to be sent. You can do it on your first day at the ticket booths when you have the (mandatory) photo taken (or when accesso has inevitably stuffed something up, and you need to have your photo RE-taken). 

Once that is set up - before you've even entered the park, you can just scan your phone wherever you see a kiosk (or grab a wristband, which you can link to your phone at any time).

I do agree though, an option to type it in would be nice - i think though that the barcode scanner idea is to reduce people queuing at the kiosk - every time the ride cycles, those photos all change, so if you don't get your email address typed in fast enough - what happens?

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Yeah fair enough.

Dreamworld, at one point, included the photo pass with every annual pass. (not sure if they still do).

Village offers it as an add-on when you buy passes \ tickets online. 

Village did offer it as a "sale bonus" around 4 or so years ago also. I believe when they bumped the prices up from $99 to $120 or something.

Dreamworld have had scan you own photo kiosks for at least 12 months. 

you use your photo pass, or if you’ve got an annual pass in the last couple of months the photo pass QR code is on your pass (or scan digital from your Phone)

all annual passes include photo pass.

kiosks are in the dreamworks cargo store (EFM), mick doohan store (MDMC) surf store (green room & Hydrocoaster) and the photo shop (buzzsaw). Haven’t seen it as haven’t ridden but imagine there is one for Gold Coaster in the store too

16 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

you use your photo pass, or if you’ve got an annual pass in the last couple of months the photo pass QR code is on your pass (or scan digital from your Phone)

kiosks are in the dreamworks cargo store (EFM), mick doohan store (MDMC) surf store (green room & Hydrocoaster) and the photo shop (buzzsaw). Haven’t seen it as haven’t ridden but imagine there is one for Gold Coaster in the store too

All current listed annual passes at dreamworld no longer have photo pass included.

They we’re on previous years passes but were removed in the new updated passes.

Edited by Rabbit2014

49 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Haven’t seen it as haven’t ridden but imagine there is one for Gold Coaster in the store too

Gold Coaster does indeed have ride photos in the Shaka Shack store. They are shown on TV screens hanging off the wall or roof above the counter.

On 01/08/2020 at 6:54 PM, Retardent said:

1479859902_ScreenShot2020-08-01at6_27_53pm.thumb.jpg.4a7885d957549c59dec9e05065f6a20a.jpg

Exit Path.

If the tender is anything to go by, I'd be one to assume that Dreamworld will implement technology similar to those currently in use at Movieworld in terms of ride photos and how to retrieve them. Also not to keen in seeing what the reactions will look like when the camera tower is situated along the launch track...

On a different note, that exit path looks good for photos of "the device".

51 minutes ago, Rabbit2014 said:

All current listed annual passes at dreamworld no longer have photo pass included.

They were on previous years passes but were removed in the new updated passes.

Correct, they have been included with your annual pass as a bonus until the recent refresh for a few years. Full price is $99 for unlimited digital ride/character photos for a year. 

Current offer is $69 including 3 6x8 physical prints.

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

You are correct there was a short period where these passes were all in one cards as such but yeah currently no pass sold includes photos.

There are also now cameras on the ocean facing side of drop (kiosk at ride exit), Gold Coaster (outside at the ride entry/exit) Vintage Cars (kiosk near Bunya Traders) and BuzzSaw's (outside the General Store).

Edited by Park Addict 93

7 minutes ago, LORD_Noodle said:

I take it they still charge for the backwards seats?

Yeah they do, that’s why the backwards seats are always empty. 

Based off that, I don’t think it’s bad that the spinning seats are only on one train. If people are concerned about maintenance of the train, surely they can just do train maintenance during ride maintenance and then the spinning train will always be available?

I would say the spinning train will be used most common (or for half the day and switch on quieter days). I don’t think we will see many days where the spinning train won’t be used