Steel Taipan Construction - Dreamworld Mack launched roller coaster

Blue Fire Feature   

153 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

2 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Yes, a spinning car would have it's own envelope template anyway.

Yeah that's what i was getting at - assuming each has a different guide, wouldn't you pull the spinner train through and test both envelope templates at the same time, rather than put the base train on the track and then pull the spinner through as well?

Again, this assumes they will pull through, everything we've seen suggests there won't be one.

(also i think it was said above that the normal train would go to the transfer track \ maintenance bay and they'd add the spinner train - isn't the transfer track \ maintenance bay the spot at which they'd add the second train? 

46 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

assuming each has a different guide, wouldn't you pull the spinner train through and test both envelope templates at the same time, rather than put the base train on the track and then pull the spinner through as well?

I'm assuming the spinning train would have a larger envelope overall (it would exceed the standard train envelope being that its more elevated and spins), so realistically they'd really only need to pull that template through as it's kinda redundant doing the other, right?

(also i think it was said above that the normal train would go to the transfer track \ maintenance bay and they'd add the spinner train - isn't the transfer track \ maintenance bay the spot at which they'd add the second train? 

Stop a train on the MCBR or even the launch transfer track, move the other train into station, cycle other train to the maintenance track, place in maintenance shed, profit!

I'm assuming there's going to be 5 blocks (station, launch, MCBR, final brakes, maintenance transfer), plenty of opportunities to shuffle two trains around.

Edited by franky
  • Like 1

Does the MCBR even have the friction brake attachment on it, or is it just the LSMs?

And given the spinner seat will be both elevated and reclined, a pull through should be necessary especially given the fact that guests tend to push their limits by keeping their hands up. Perhaps they won't do one as previously stated, but if Dreamworld want to avoid more incidents, they should.

Maybe in the safety video they'll just tell spinner riders to keep a firm hold of the handlebars.

29 minutes ago, franky said:

I'm assuming the spinning train would have a larger envelope overall (it would exceed the standard train envelope being that its more elevated and spins), so realistically they'd really only need to pull that template through as it's kinda redundant doing the other, right?

And in theory you could do it on any train.

3 hours ago, franky said:

it would exceed the standard train envelope being that its more elevated and spins

Being more elevated, wouldn't the standard seats be able to reach lower though?

3 hours ago, franky said:

Stop a train on the MCBR or even the launch transfer track, move the other train into station, cycle other train to the maintenance track, place in maintenance shed, profit!

I'm assuming there's going to be 5 blocks (station, launch, MCBR, final brakes, maintenance transfer), plenty of opportunities to shuffle two trains around.

1. I am almost certain there's no MCBR, just a trim brake.
    1. I asked about this only because of the order it was said (ie - 2nd train to maintenance bay, then put 1st train on the track) but i was thinking the same as what you said above (minus the MCBR) because of course that's how you do it. Just me being a pedant i guess. 

Serious question, what does a pull through achieve that a tape measure (or surveyor) can't? Or even just fitting the same clearance gauge directly to the track at points of concern. 

Seems a very tedious process in the age of full computer design and engineering, that we'd still need to manually inch the coaster train around the whole circuit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, red dragin said:

Serious question, what does a pull through achieve that a tape measure (or surveyor) can't? Or even just fitting the same clearance gauge directly to the track at points of concern. 

Because it would be incredibly time consuming, difficult and error-prone to do single point measurements from each and every inch of the track in each and every direction. Sure there's probably something they could do with lasers (pew pew), but I'm going to bet it's cheaper to use a bent up piece of metal or a cut out of some plywood.

2 minutes ago, red dragin said:

Seems a very tedious process in the age of full computer design and engineering, that we'd still need to manually inch the coaster train around the whole circuit. 

I'm sure you can count on the track etc being precision engineered/manufactured, but the rock tunnel... there's plenty of opportunity for someone to over apply the concrete, and you wouldn't want an extremity hitting that at 100+kmh.

1 hour ago, red dragin said:

Computers are great but nothing beats a big piece of plywood with bits that can scratch/break off if they come even close to any objects in the possible reach of the tallest person who can ride

2 hours ago, AlexbFunlandGuy said:

Being more elevated, wouldn't the standard seats be able to reach lower though?

1. I am almost certain there's no MCBR, just a trim brake.
    1. I asked about this only because of the order it was said (ie - 2nd train to maintenance bay, then put 1st train on the track) but i was thinking the same as what you said above (minus the MCBR) because of course that's how you do it. Just me being a pedant i guess. 

Doesn't the ride have enough hold points without the MCBR anyway? Station, brake run and transfer track? A MCBR would only help if they had a 3rd train. Have I missed something?

Yes, but a pull through is when the train is strapped to the track and slowly dragged through, which would be time consuming. 

With the known pinch points, you could just size the template and check the areas of concern. Or simply measure it. 

DCR wasn't inched through, just loaded up and let loose as it has no pinch points. 

A pull through isn't just to check the rider envelope.    Many components can be checked during a pull through.  Brake alignment, sensors getting triggered, undercarriage clearance, train hook alignment, train binding etc.  I know at one stage, coaster standards in America required all coasters to undergo a pull through.  I don't know if this is still the case in America.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, New display name said:

A pull through isn't just to check the rider envelope.    Many components can be checked during a pull through.  Brake alignment, sensors getting triggered, undercarriage clearance, train hook alignment, train binding etc.  I know at one stage, coaster standards in America required all coasters to undergo a pull through.  I don't know if this is still the case in America.

Pretty sure it's at the manufactures discretion now 

15 hours ago, red dragin said:

Because although the ride might be perfectly aligned in every possible way, there's still the human error factor that someone put the rockwork framing in upside down and the clearances are too close. 

...And also because computers are just processors - garbage in = garbage out, so it never hurts to idiot check. Sometimes the very talented engineers can get it wrong...

You don't have to go to America to find things engineers have got wrong.  A lot of things you walk past all the time, like the performance centre in Brisbane had major engineering flaws.

Yep.JPG.f539cd9ad9002f98f3e4a48640798748.JPG

Cross bracing only installed because during construction the splayed walls failed.

Trying to remember, but didn't a post/column on Rivals get modified during construction because of a clearance issue?

• Like 1