Steel Taipan Construction - Dreamworld Mack launched roller coaster

Blue Fire Feature   

153 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

10 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

By all accounts, the park couldn't make the payments rather than rejecting the ride. I don't think that should reflect poorly on the ride itself.

Not to mention, I believe it was just a SLOT they couldn't pay for. This ride design \ type \ special features weren't necessarily part of the previous agreement as far as i'm aware.

Oh come on man, I did not mean it like that. Wow it seems people here can be so cynical and automatically think the worst.

I just mean it was not built for us and we paid top dollar, it was built for another park. 

Honest question:

Would you rather Steel Taipan or something custom like Helix? If you genuinely prefer BF clones, then I'll respect your opinion. I would have preferred something like Ride to Happiness first, and Helix a close second, and BF very last out of the Mack options. The rear spike and spinning car are the saving grace, but a BF clone is a BF clone and I've ridden 2 of them (the original and Dubai). They are OK at best with one single pop of air and a leisurely feel. Yes, Dreamworld wanted something fast, they couldn't have predicted the pandemic, but that decision cost us a much, much better custom coaster. Even Ride to Happiness was cheaper than Steel Taipan LOL, and obliterates it in every way. Note, I can only go by a European review of someone I trust, obviously I haven't ridden RTH - but he's put it in his top 5 of all time and I believe him. Next year I'll find out for myself. Can't wait. Helix I can vouch for personally, it's my number 5 coaster of all time. Stronger launches would have made it number 2. BF at Europa Park is not even in my top 100. Sorry, again just my 2C.

Custom stuff can be awesome, but it can also be a miss. I mean MDMC verses a standard Vekoma Motorbike coaster? Say no more.

I think that the ride is obscure enough that it's 'As good as' a custom ride in Australia, and frankly if I were DW I'd want something I knew damn well was going to be a hit, not something that you couldn't verify until after it opened. I'd probably also ask MACk about turning the unused block brake into an airtime hill or two but what do I know.

1 hour ago, joz said:

Custom stuff can be awesome, but it can also be a miss. I mean MDMC verses a standard Vekoma Motorbike coaster? Say no more.

I think that the ride is obscure enough that it's 'As good as' a custom ride in Australia, and frankly if I were DW I'd want something I knew damn well was going to be a hit, not something that you couldn't verify until after it opened. I'd probably also ask MACk about turning the unused block brake into an airtime hill or two but what do I know.

The MDMC vs factory Vekoma Motorbike is a great argument. Touche mate.

And it IS good enough and it will be top 3 in OZ. It *should* be, if things go as planned, DC Rivals/Leviathan/ST. I am a bit worried about Leviathan as it's a twister layout and that is GCI's bread and butter, whereas GG coasters get rough very very quickly. In its first year I am predicting it will be top two, but that's another topic. I do think the first drop in the back seat will have extreme ejector airtime causes it's off of a rolling run, not a lift hill, so I am very excited about that. To do it backwards in back row and forwards in second to last back row :)

I must admit I do love hang time and ST has some crazy hang time towards the end for sure. I am impressed with the MCBR being very weak on the POV I have so far seen, but I wonder if that's because the train just isn't hitting the speed required for the brake to engage as they are empty trains. Still, as I said, the rear spinning car and back spike will elevate it beyond a standard BF clone. I think for me, it will crack top 50 WW in the spinning car, but even that depends on how much Mack and Dreamworld have decided to limit the magnet controlled spinning. I hope they do go extreme on it, as I saw when they had the temporary 4 car spinner at the end of BF, which I sadly never got to ride.

On 18/09/2021 at 12:45 AM, pazzap said:

Honest question:

Would you rather Steel Taipan or something custom like Helix? If you genuinely prefer BF clones, then I'll respect your opinion.

You, and about a quarter of the members here, are in a very small niche of being significant coasterheads. Which is fine.
To general Aussie coaster fans, and the average person attending the park who doesn't get to ride the cutting-edge, world's-best coasters in the northern hemisphere, ST will be a very enjoyable ride for years to come. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Whombex said:

You, and about a quarter of the members here, are in a very small niche of being significant coasterheads. Which is fine.
To general Aussie coaster fans, and the average person attending the park who doesn't get to ride the cutting-edge, world's-best coasters in the northern hemisphere, ST will be a very enjoyable ride for years to come. 

You're 100% correct. Peace.

I just mean it was not built for us and we paid top dollar, it was built for another park. 

I feel like you're not reading for understanding. The ride was not built for another park. A build slot was reserved for another park, which then withdrew. The slot became available, and Dreamworld was able to get a head start on the manufacturer's waitlist - jumping the queue, if you will. 

Even Ride to Happiness was cheaper than Steel Taipan LOL

Build price comparisons aren't always a great tool. Even converting currency rates needs to be done with a mind of the time passed - but even without currency exchange, simply shipping the ride out to Aus, and building using Australia's labour union workforce increases the costs significantly more than transporting and building a similar attraction in Europe or North America. 

The orange letters do get a little lost against the orange track, but it could just be that angle. A few plants behind it might help. I do love the rockwork seating though, who ever did it did a really good job.

Im interested to see how they finish that metal/fencing to the right of the sign. The metal theming looks good, but there is still framing exposed and the metal theming they’ve installed looks finish.

18 hours ago, MrLukeCarroll said:

The ride cost ~$24million Aud and uses about 25% less track, seems to add up to me compared to Taipan's $30million and that's not counting the extra cost of shipping and construction here in Australia.

Sorry I was only going by all my google searches, and I did more than one, that ST cost 32 million *USD*

They have now changed it 32 AUD.

Not my fault, and that's much more reasonable.

Edited by pazzap

On 13/09/2021 at 3:46 PM, Park Addict 93 said:

A new TVC is out too featuring pass options and ST/Spring Event and the spinning car.

Very well done.

For those who haven't gotten around to viewing it, the 30 second version of the Spring County fair ad is on BigDatr now...

Note the 15 second version was uploaded before.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Im Hungry said:

For those who haven't gotten around to viewing it, the 30 second version of the Spring County fair ad is on BigDatr now...

Note the 15 second version was uploaded before.

I like the attention to detail in photoshopping the blue fire clip to orange track instead of blue!

44 minutes ago, deano554 said:

Any new updates photos to uploaded on here please 

For us who are out of state 

I can assure you, if anyone has any new photos they want to share. They will do so. 

As testing as begun and construction is nearly complete, things will slow down on site. The most likely changes since the last photos posted will just be more plants and fencing installed.

1 hour ago, deano554 said:

Any new updates photos to uploaded on here please 

For us who are out of state 

Posting this not to chastise you but to ensure people see it. This post is actually pinned to the top of the theme parks discussion sub, but as most people (like me) only go to 'unread content' - pinned posts are quickly and easily overlooked.

1. Don't ask for photos
Rest assured if someone is in a position to get photos of something interesting, they will.

*i'm not a mod - just a long-term member begging for people to preserve what's left of his sanity.