Steel Taipan Construction - Dreamworld Mack launched roller coaster

Blue Fire Feature   

153 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

58 minutes ago, themagician said:

It would have been better if they had at least put some larger rocks and plants, but it seems the budget situation did not permit. But I think it would have definitely been worth while. It was very hot walking through this space too. Some shade and seating to watch the coaster would’ve been nice because it’s awesome watching the train go over you 

Then you should plant some seeds when you go there next they shouldn't notice 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, themagician said:

79A6A9E9-8B3D-40CB-AD5B-DC8DDE5C503F.jpeg

I'm not a fan of the rocks here and it feels like it might be a liability without a fence especially considering the strange movement of the paths. Steel Taipan is going to draw your attention upwards and if you're walking towards the giant drop queue then I can picture a lot rolled ankles. Might be worth adding some sort of barrier or obstacle to ensure that people aren't cutting through the rocks.

Also kids are going to adopt these rocks and transport them all over the park like a side quest mission.

I have been taking a bit of a 'Wait and see' approach with that path. Starting to get the feeling that's it as intended.

Hopefully at some stage they'll replace the rocks with grass, put some small shrubbery along the wall, with some big gum trees on the Train track side. Perhaps it's just a case of 'good enough for now'. I mean theres never been a new ride that dididn't look a bit sparse, fingers crossed the grounds team can get their teeth into the area over time. The current set up does look like an OH&S issue with the narrow path and uneven ground around it.

11 hours ago, Cactus_Matt said:

This picture gives me "the exit of Lethal Weapon" vibes. The nostalgic part of me likes it, the part of me that appreciates good theming does not.

I dunno if this was ever discussed but apart from the stupid Australian sun ruining this, i would have loved the exit of LW/AA to have been the entry.

On 24/10/2021 at 12:21 PM, Cactus_Matt said:

This picture gives me "the exit of Lethal Weapon" vibes. The nostalgic part of me likes it, the part of me that appreciates good theming does not.

The bit I don’t get is why didnt the supports just extend to the ground?

It's 100% a cost thing, which I don't hate - it saves having to redesign and re-engineer an entire section. I don't love the rocks and overall execution of that space. Going back forty years it was just a nice, simple pathway with mowed grass, which looked a far sight better than the trip hazard we have now, imo.

Ours definitely has had a few changes from the default.

We already know the loop supports are different, as are the additional intermediate columns on some track pieces.

Here you can see the 2nd column on the corkscrew exit is sloped not vertical.

But...IDK it's like the pedestal height was set to be above head height when it probably could have been a little lower.

image.thumb.png.d5fa2631136bb5ab896757cbd181e55a.png

23 minutes ago, Gazza said:

But...IDK it's like the pedestal height was set to be above head height when it probably could have been a little lower.

Some pedestals are close to ground level so it kind of confirms ST was going to another theme park.

C90D63EA-5DF7-4248-BEC3-F37E0EC4325A.thumb.jpeg.a1957ecb7c5db93fe840aea87631fe23.jpeg.e01eb48ab369f978a1b0b5446ffd1417.jpeg

Edited by New display name

11 minutes ago, JoshiYomanto said:

Why do people keep assuming another park ordered this and DW just picked up a bargain, already manufactured coaster that they can make fit in the plot of land they have?

It was confirmed that they managed to pick up a parks lead time with Mack as they normally have long lead times on projects. The coaster was not already manufactured or designed. They picked the design. The footings being like that would 100% be to save money. 

• Like 1

You have brought this up before and it has been answered.   

On 13/11/2020 at 5:58 PM, Gazza said:

The cyclone thing was just a bit of marketing spiel because at the time it genuinely was the only hyper coaster built in a "cyclonic" area.

I dont think it was any additional steel, because US/EU coasters are built to withstand snowstorms, and the weight of piled snow.