Steel Taipan Construction - Dreamworld Mack launched roller coaster

Blue Fire Feature   

153 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

1 hour ago, themagician said:

And they are now advertising that it is opening soon instead of Late 2021

Mike from Dreamworld's been repeating that same "opening soon" all over Dreamworld socials...

It also appears Dreamworld have publicly advertised employment opportunities with the business on their home page...

9 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Lot of people being stood down in 4 weeks, they have a heap of roles in fill and not much time to do it 

Source?

Statistically speaking, since we just recently reached 80% single dose as a state, the chances are less than 20% of their workforce will be impacted - and industries where vax is mandated tend to have a higher rate of vax take-up.

So I find this doubtful, and given the majority of the positions are listed as max term casual, I find it more likely the recruitment drive is predominantly a christmas peak season push.

Nice try though.

• Like 2

Village, Dreamworld and Luna Park are all doing a huge amount of hiring at the moment. I'd imagine it's got nothing to do with non-vax lay-offs, but that their accountants have given the greenlight to allocate more funds to resources now that there is more confidence in the tourism sector with international travel reopening, vaccine rates rising and national borders being relaxed.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Source?

Statistically speaking, since we just recently reached 80% single dose as a state, the chances are less than 20% of their workforce will be impacted - and industries where vax is mandated tend to have a higher rate of vax take-up.

So I find this doubtful, and given the majority of the positions are listed as max term casual, I find it more likely the recruitment drive is predominantly a christmas peak season push.

Nice try though.

Nice try what? 

The state average is just that, an average. When you consider the +60yo demographic is around the 90% mark, you can average that the young adult demo is quite below the overall state mark, and that has been confirmed multiple times - the 19-39 age bracket has lowest %, the Gold Coast one of the lowest rates in SE Qld, and the northern GC the lowest of the GC region. 

44 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Nice try what? 

Nice try attempting to imply the vax rules were to blame, when many facilities are doing christmas staff drives, and that being the more logical explanation, Mr Occam over here says it's almost certainly Xmas, not Vax as the cause.

I don't really want to drag yet another thread into the garbage pit over Covid and Vaccines, but it needs to be said. While some age groups are lagging, and some regions the same, the Premier said only a few days ago the Gold Coast's vax rates were looking positive. I can't find a reliable government source on local government age-bracketed vax rates, so i'll concede your current stats absent your sources and i'll just say this:

A week ago, on November 10th, the Queensland "doses per 100 people" ranked at 0.637.

As of yesterday, November 16th, the same metric is now 0.824 doses per 100 people.

Thats about a 30% upwards swing in 6 days
image.png.356e32773a4894160cb6a176e976711b.png(Blue line is national average)

There's a distinct uptick in the number of people suddenly opting to get vaccinated immediately after November 9th. I wonder what was so special about that day?

Oh right - the QLD Government announced unvaxxed would be restricted from certain activities.

(ETA: Mods - perhaps instead of removing this line of discussion it could be moved to the thread linked above?)

I'm not saying it isn't 'A' factor, just not 'THE' factor, and certainly not a 'huge' one. Everyone is hiring for the season. Confidence has improved with things opening up and dates firming up. Everyone 80%+ is getting ready to try doing more normal things again. 

Few people volunteer to leave a job right before christmas, so the timing is going to be an impact, but the hiring of xmas staff (who do meet the requirements) means they just hire a few more in the mix, and can choose from a wide selection to replace those they lost. They were about to do bulk recruitment and bulk training anyway, what's a few more people in the room?

I think 10% is being extraordinarily generous. The uptick in vax rates post-announcement suggests the current states include a lot of 'hesitaters' rather than outright objectors. For those who weren't early adopters, there was no real reason to go out and get it - until 9 November. Now there is a reason. 

The park (and many other employers) will lose a few strong objectors, but most people who have jobs will choose a paycheck, and if the park loses more than 2-3% i'll be very surprised.

Circling back to the crux of this line of discussion, I disagree that the park is 'about to stand down a lot of people' or 'have a heap of roles to fill' because of the vax restrictions. I suppose it depends on what you consider 'a lot' or 'a heap'.

• Like 1