Steel Taipan Construction - Dreamworld Mack launched roller coaster

Blue Fire Feature   

153 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

Annastacia Palaszczuk has come under fire (by idiots) after promoting a new ride being debuted by Dreamworld, five years on from the fatal Thunder River Rapids tragedy.

Queensland's premier took to Twitter on Wednesday to announce the Gold Coast amusement park had added another roller coaster to its list of attractions.

'Dreamworld's new $32 million rollercoaster is officially open,' she wrote. 

But some felt it was still too soon after the 2016 tragedy for the Premier to be promoting Dreamworld's rides.

On October 25, 2016, Kate Goodchild, her brother Luke Dorsett, his partner Roozi Araghi, and NSW mother Cindy Low were killed when their raft hit another and flipped, leaving them trapped underwater in the mechanism.

'This Dreamworld?' one man wrote in response to the Premier's tweet, alongside an image of a media report about the incident. 

'Are ride operators trained in safety procedures this time round?' another wrote.

'I can't believe you didn't shut down this theme park from the sinister and deadly event that took place,' someone else said. 

'Is that the Dreamworld that killed 4 people then blamed it on a low paid 18ish year old girl who was untrained and on her 1st day of work? That Dreamworld?' a fourth wrote.

Others questioned what role the government played in funding the rollercoaster and in helping keep the troubled park open after the notorious incident. 

'Didn't the Government (Treasury Corporation) have to stump up $10 million for them for continued operating costs?' one man asked. 

'Yeah the QLD government paid for that [new] ride,' another said.

Will the news ever let it go?

Edited by New display name

On 17/12/2021 at 1:09 PM, New display name said:

Eventually probably, it'll become like the Luna Park Ghost Train fire, more of a low moment in the park's history than a constant reason to attack their reputation. But for now, let's face it, DW were negligent and it resulted in the worst imaginable tragedy. Any park in a similar situation would face similar brutal media attacks while the tragedy is still fresh in recent memory, just like any celebrity is likely to live with reports on their crimes and misdemeanours even after they've grown and changed. You also can't really blame the general public for being cynical about the park being safer to visit, especially those who aren't really informed on what has changed over the last 5 years.

It's DW's responsibility to mend their reputation, and hopefully in 10 years it will be looked back on as a transitional moment that led to them being a much safer and better-managed park.

On 17/12/2021 at 12:09 PM, New display name said:

Annastacia Palaszczuk has come under fire (by idiots) after promoting a new ride being debuted by Dreamworld, five years on from the fatal Thunder River Rapids tragedy.

Queensland's premier took to Twitter on Wednesday to announce the Gold Coast amusement park had added another roller coaster to its list of attractions.

'Dreamworld's new $32 million rollercoaster is officially open,' she wrote. 

But some felt it was still too soon after the 2016 tragedy for the Premier to be promoting Dreamworld's rides.

On October 25, 2016, Kate Goodchild, her brother Luke Dorsett, his partner Roozi Araghi, and NSW mother Cindy Low were killed when their raft hit another and flipped, leaving them trapped underwater in the mechanism.

'This Dreamworld?' one man wrote in response to the Premier's tweet, alongside an image of a media report about the incident. 

'Are ride operators trained in safety procedures this time round?' another wrote.

'I can't believe you didn't shut down this theme park from the sinister and deadly event that took place,' someone else said. 

'Is that the Dreamworld that killed 4 people then blamed it on a low paid 18ish year old girl who was untrained and on her 1st day of work? That Dreamworld?' a fourth wrote.

Others questioned what role the government played in funding the rollercoaster and in helping keep the troubled park open after the notorious incident. 

'Didn't the Government (Treasury Corporation) have to stump up $10 million for them for continued operating costs?' one man asked. 

'Yeah the QLD government paid for that [new] ride,' another said.

Screw those people, less to contend when in park.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The gardens have really started to grow and fill the area. I haven’t checked in a while, so not sure how long it’s been like this, but additional signage has been installed and the wait time is shown. Unfortunately they have laminated signs stuck to the wall in the photos areas

566112E4-CD74-48DC-BE03-21467EA4EB78.jpeg

44F68D89-D1C1-44E2-ABEB-6D193312F78E.jpeg

FC34081B-B028-4FA2-B085-346199FCC4FB.jpeg

57914C94-A747-4F1E-98C9-8991FC1F7A5B.jpeg

37D1932E-07CA-45B8-8F5D-FB826E935D54.jpeg

D612E9EE-88F9-4DD2-ADAA-209D9DFA2FB0.jpeg

09D22D7A-6650-49AF-B543-FD70210791D0.jpeg

The fence out the front of the park is complete 

A6F2A1A4-8315-46E8-81BD-5A7D4229D12E.jpeg

10115FDE-FCF0-4B60-A8AE-2BE108744A0B.jpeg

619F76D8-41FD-49E6-BCE0-4B2322B6CF83.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well just rode it today.  First go 2nd row back,  was fun,  but the wife and I agree dc rivals is way better. 

Bought the spinning back seat and holy shit,  what an experience,  one of the most intense rides I've been on. Been on alot of coasters outside of Australia but that was something else.  Question though,  being an annual pass holder, and this is going for all parks,  do you think as an incentive they should include maybe a couple of back seat passes etc?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ash said:

Question though,  being an annual pass holder, and this is going for all parks,  do you think as an incentive they should include maybe a couple of back seat passes etc?

Reduce the price...$19 sounds better than $25. Make it $10 for AP except during historically busy periods.

Better to have four people ride for $40 then one for $25

• Like 1

Rode it the other day. Barely any queue, which is a pity as it's a great coaster and deserves the custom.

Not sure it's my cup of tea though - it does bombard you a bit with elements. I'll go on it again and form a better opinion, but it's definitely very accomplished. If you want a roller coaster that tries to do everything under the sun, this is for you.

Just rode ST today, on a trip to the Gold Coast with my fam. I have to say, it was pleasantly surprising. My fav elements were the second/backwards launch and the final corkscrew, it really “whips”! 

Rivals is better, but that’s honestly to be expected, I would place it behind SE but in front of GL if I’m relating it to the other current Gold Coast coasters, so the third best imo. I might post a trip report soon, going to Movie World tomorrow 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

Okay, after probably 7 or 8 rides on Steel Taipan on the trip (will probably do a trip report at some point), I'm definitely a fan. Second favourite coaster in the GC, just behind DC Rivals - and that's only really because they're different types of coaster. DC Rivals is all about speed and airtime whereas Steel Taipan is about the elements.

We did also try the tailwhip which was damn good fun, a lot better than DC Rivals backwards. The barrel roll at the end, while spinning, and hanging on the first incline the coaster goes over, are pretty damn good.

Queues are very low - through the trip we never waited more than 15 minutes, compared to DC Rivals posting 70+ minutes.

Edited by djmcbell
  • Like 2

The low wait times, while are partly due to DW never really being as busy as MW, but also because of how good their operations on the ride are. The longest wait I’ve had is 30 minutes, which pretty much went down to the start of the queue, but because of two trains consistently running and the large amount of people they have in the station ready to board, it creates much shorter wait times. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, themagician said:

The low wait times, while are partly due to DW never really being as busy as MW, but also because of how good their operations on the ride are. The longest wait I’ve had is 30 minutes, which pretty much went down to the start of the queue, but because of two trains consistently running and the large amount of people they have in the station ready to board, it creates much shorter wait times. 

Rivals final brakes really slow operations down.

Construction has well and truly wrapped on this one.

Feel free to start a new topic if you want to share your reviews, trip reports or discuss ride operations.