European theme parks to visit

mba2012

So I was just hoping to get some advice from all you guys here.

I'll be spending six months in Europe on an exchange next year (over the northern spring and summer) and was hoping to visit as many parks as I reasonably can. I'll probably only be limited to a few by cost, but I'm happy to travel pretty much anywhere in Europe.

I've done Disneyland Paris and Alton Towers before so I'm looking for others, unless there's anything that's a must ride added since 2014. Europa park and Portaventura are both on the top of my list, but I'm not sure where else I should look. Places that are either in a really interesting location, or will make a good full day visit (especially with roller coasters) are where I'd prefer to go.

If anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them. 

PortAventura (with Ferrari Land) is beyond incredible! Shambhala is ridiculous, and Red Force is a lot of fun! Make sure you get the express pass, just makes it easier, and with the park being open until midnight in Summer, its even better!

Also visit Phantasialand and Efteling (Symbolica is actually the best dark ride ive ever experienced), both stunning parks, beautifully themed with some really great attractions!

Edited by HussRainbow87
  • Like 3

Blackpool Pleasure Beach has a good collection of coasters, some that are historic and some quite good recent additions. The Big One is a bit of a snore fest after the first drop, but Big Dipper and The Grand National are both excellent historic woodies. Although I haven't ridden it, Icon by all accounts is an extremely good coaster and worth the trip alone.

The park also has some other great attractions such as Valhalla ( one of the best dark ride /water rides in the world) and also historic attractions such  Sir Hiram Maxim's Flying machines,  The Ghost Train, and the River Caves .

Unfortunately, when I went ( admittedly a few years ago now) they also had  great historic attractions such as The Whip, The Tumblebug, Noahs Ark ( still there just a static attraction) and the much lamented Wild Mouse ( with its unique layout - quite different from LPS)

Well worth a visit and I would definitely put it on the list if you are visiting the UK.

• Like 1

I would recommend Energylandia. I Haven’t been but looking at how quick they have developed the last few years & even more plans coming in the future, I feel this park will soon have the most roller coasters in the world. 

A hyper last year, an RMC this year & a Vekoma launched coaster just announced for next year, boy oh boy they just don’t stop pumping out rides. Not to mention the themed lands that go with them. 

• Like 1

Make sure that if you can, visit one of their amazing funfairs (or 'Kirmes') that they have over there. Maybe your not a huge fan of carnival rides in Australia, but honestly the quality of some of those attractions is better than what you'd find at theme parks, and the atmosphere (from what I've seen) is absolutely electric! Definitely something worth checking out.

Cranger Kirmes is held in Germany during the August month, and features the likes of Olympia Looping, Wilde Maus XXL and many other notable travelling rides. The other I would have a look at is the Düsseldorf fair on the Rhine which is held in Germany also during July, and also features Olympia Looping, among a range of other awesome travelling rides.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's pretty easy to visit a few German fairs at any time of the year without too much effort, they are free to enter. When I was in Cologne for Phantasialand there was one right in the city, and then the Hamburg DOM was on when I was there for Heide Park / Hansa Park.

https://deutsche-volksfeste.de/volksfesttermine

Overall http://www.coast2coaster.eu/ is useful, set the coaster number to between 3 and 19 to filter out all the tiny parks, and that gives you a good sense of the major ones.

If you do Phantasialand, you can combine it with Movie Park Germany.

If you do Efteling, well the Netherlands is small enough to do Toverland and Walibi on a long weekend.

If you go to Hamburg, you can daytrip out via train to both Heide Park and Hansa Park, which are within walking distance of stations.

Personally im itching to visit Energylandia because it totally seems like an unsustainable rate of investment that will either fall in a heap or be found to be corruption, so I want to visit before that lol.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, HussRainbow87 said:

"Efteling (Symbolica is actually the best dark ride ive ever experienced), "

I 100% agree with this.. I love Symbolica, I had the opportunity to ride that a couple of times with no-one else on the ride at all. 

It also has so many other awesome rides, I love Droomvlucht and Vogel Rock (it is a shame that Bob is no more).

If you go... save some euro coins for the Donkey.....

• Like 1