Sign in to follow this  
Alex Berriman

Walt Disney World Skyliner incident

9 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, westical said:

Ok, so I made a mistake since I don’t post here often. You could’ve simply said that straight up instead of being a smartass about it. If I could edit the post, I would. So I’ll add the credit here to please you.

https://cruisingtheparks.com/2019/10/05/breaking-incident/

• Like 3

I watched some videos of the opening recently and I was really impressed but also surprised by how quickly they come into the stations and move right up onto the gondola in front.

From what i've heard, there was a short stoppage on the line, and the blue car was in that 'limbo space' between station drive and bullwheel. When the system re-started, the blue car didn't 'grab' the rope, and remained stationary, while the station drive continued to push forward.

As screamscape mentioned, older style cable car systems would use gravity to feed the cars from the station to the rope, so once free from the drive wheels, the car would roll downhill and connect to the rope. With this system not utilising gravity, it's reliant on the accelerator drive by the bullwheel to send cars out to the rope, and it was pretty much fluke that the blue car got stuck somewhere in a gap between station, accelerator drives and rope.

I think we're going to see some modifications to that area before they restart.