Dreamworld's Spooky Happy Halloween Nights

The night started with pyro (spark) and basic lighting out the front of Dreamworld. The queuing was a mess. The event starts at 6 and people were being let in at 6. There is a reason fright nights and other events let people in early prior to event start. The side entry was open with 6 queue lines leading into only 2 entry gates which was an overflowing and long mess. I ended up waiting over 20 minutes to get in.

The decorating around the park were fine with hay and pumpkin everywhere you looked. The “orange” fountain was a failure, only appearing orange from a certain angle because of lighting.

The event didn’t seem to have a cohesive “halloween” theme but rather a festive theme. There were laser lights and coloured lights which didn’t seem to follow the “spooky” trend of the night.

Despite being a family halloween event, it failed to be spooky enough. At times thought I was at a park after dark event.

The globe used for Winterfest had a halloween backdrop being used. Once again, this doesn’t really fit a spooky theme and didn’t make sense. There were three pumpkins that has projected faces that moved which was a cool concept. The monster was open and didn’t appear too busy.

Ride queues were next to nothing, getting on to Tower of Terror and Buzzsaw on the first cycle. Sky Voyager was also only moderately busy.

The highlight of the night was the train experience. The bawd brothers were looking for gold and got blown up. This was a new and unique show to the night and was presented well enough. Once you boarded the train, a “crazy scientist” character was looking for the “Mississippi Monster.’ You pass various footprints and pumpkins before being dropped at Billabong Station. There, you see a lighting display with a sea monster animatronic in the water. Cool to see a narrative based experience with physical props. Only complaint is that there was not enough room because only two carriages were attached.

They also seem to undersell tickets as the park was not busy at all. It’s great having the park not cluttered and ride queues being short, but they defiantly could have sold more tickets than they did.

Finally, the candy stations had the longest queues in the park. You could receive a brochure at guest services that would be hole-punched when you visited a station.

Overall, good start to the event, some minor and major changes needed to make the event better next year.

Also, I will upload videos of the experience tomorrow.

• Like 3

Yeah interesting. Sounds like there's a lot of swings with mostly misses but a couple hits. At least there actually are some swings because they spent a long time not even trying. Hopefully next year we can forgo the stuff that didn't work like the gross fountain and the 'good on you for trying' pumpkin globe and build on the stuff that does.

Also Murrisppi River surely?

• Like 1

When you say they drop you off at Billabong Station, does that mean you have to hop off, then the train leaves you there and heads back to Central Park station empty? 

The sea monster animatronic and whole train show seems to be a great idea.

I think its also a good idea that they didn't over-sell the event, first impressions count and if you over-sell your first event, then that impression from the guests will stick.

IMO, the train is one of the parks biggest assets when it comes to events like this, and what has been shown tonight (if what I am reading is correct) is only a small portion of what is possible.

Edited by T-bone

The biggest complaint about the last park after dark event. Remember this post you made?

On 14/04/2019 at 2:41 PM, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

It wasn’t really successful anyway. Check dreamworlds Facebook and people are complaining about how they only could fit in one ride and we’re told to leave after queuing because the rides had to be shut by 10 pm without being told prior.

56E45C95-F518-445C-82B7-154A0BB658C9.png

2614D286-1DE6-4A3E-B3E8-E14E255265E9.png

98398974-EF14-469D-9CEA-B2B9C9A4EACD.png

D37A8381-ABC0-40F9-80CE-087EAE758049.png

FC70E81A-EDEC-4A55-906F-3018B6D30D6C.png

Dreamworld have responded and sold less tickets, which I think is great, especially since it was focused for kids. The train experience sounds awesome and from photos I’ve seen, overall it looked pretty good. Not something that is amazing, but worth the money and the kids all had a good time. The park after dark/scream world events I’ve been too, they have alway just opened the gates at 6. They should definitely look at opening them at 5:45 and keep everyone around the globe or just on Main Street with some roaming characters to keep it entertaining to a certain extent, have a quick small show/even launch and then let everyone go 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, themagician said:

The biggest complaint about the last park after dark event. Remember this post you made?

Yes, just because they over sold last time doesn’t mean they haven’t under sold tickets?

10 hours ago, joz said:

Also Murrisppi River surely?

Yeah that’s it.

10 hours ago, T-bone said:

When you say they drop you off at Billabong Station, does that mean you have to hop off, then the train leaves you there and heads back to Central Park station empty? 

Yep

34 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

This event feels like it is strictly for families with kids. Their is really no attempts to make it interesting for any other demographic.

That’s the point. It’s an alternate event to Fright Nights. For me it’s targeting the same market that buy White Christmas tickets each year. 

Edited by Brad2912
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

This event feels like it is strictly for families with kids. Their is really no attempts to make it interesting for any other demographic.

Which is a great idea.

Firstly, why take on an well established product. 

Secondly, target an empty part of the market. 

We went to the first two fright nights at movie world, and as it ramped up towards more of the horror aspect, it didn't suit us as well as then having small kids. 

I agreed. With a 2 year old we are very much looking forward to a fun night out with our daughter with no fear of running into a scary villain or character. This event suits us perfectly and I hope it is the start of great things for the event.

A shame the train kicks you off at Billabong but I’m sure they have their reason for doing it that way. As long as the experience is a fully inclusive and well thought out experience?

• Like 1

Walking around the park today and I think what they have done theme wise is fantastic, must be literally thousands of pumpkins everywhere, hail bails, decals, ribbons, drapes on posts. Whilst I haven’t attended the event yet myself, they have to be applauded for what they have done imo..

Also appears to have third party food operators in for the event as the marquees are still up 

278F188B-4814-49B9-9705-0CABB892903C.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lukevl said:

I saw a little bit in the video but how was the food? Good “Halloween” desserts? 

How does the “trick or treat” work?

I didn't have any of the food offerings.

And if you are referring to how the candy was given out, it's in my review of the night.