Movie World - The Next Few Years

Tin Foil Hat

With Sea World receiving record capital investment at the moment, do you think Movie World will see any new major attractions or rides before 2022? If so, what do you want them to be?

For me, I'd love to see a HWD and a huge Kids WB refurb come to fruition before 2023. 

Edited by Boyden Hingston-Muir

Kids area should be the first thing MW needs to pay attention to. Give the entire area a refurb, get rid of the older flats and Speedy Gonzales Taxis, keep Driving School, Road Runner and the new flats and give them all a repaint and clean up. Install some new flats with the Looney Tunes theme in mind. Take a look at how Six Flags uses the WB IP's, they should be the model. I do think MW may potentially look at adding Teen Titans stuff given it is a very popular IP but I dont think anyone in here will want another DC themed area. This will probably happen in 2021/2022 given Village is focusing on SW for the moment.

I do think there is a small chance AA is ripped down in the next 3 years. That space should come after the kids area, though, and will probably happen past 2022, but they may take AA out early to prepare the site.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

Arkham asylum Might still be here in 10 years, she is popular and has less maintenance  issues compared to superman. No reason for movie world to remove when it runs just as good as she did when it was lethal weapon, unlike tower of terror at dreamworld which as years got on, it got worse and was a nightmare for maintenance. 

kids area does need a upgrade, as does Wild West falls which has had theming removed or broken in the back section of the ride

Edited by Rabbit2014

1 hour ago, Ryanhop01 said:

It's an intamin and it's been going since 2005. They aren't too reliable when they get to a certain age with their launches, hence, TOT.

I see you understand the 'Intamins are unreliable' stereotype. What happens to Intamins in America doesnt exactly happen here. Superman's been quite reliable considering:

a) it is an Intamin, a manufacturer well known for mechanical problems in its products

b) it is very reliable in comparison to other coasters that also use Intamin's hydraulic launch (Xcelerator and TTD specifically), the examples I listed being very notorious for downtime.

If you are using Volcano as an example, that is a different launch technology, and it was also a prototype.

Also TOT's demise can largely be attributed to poor maintenance on DW's part. Superman Escape from Krypton (an identical model to TOT) got a control systems upgrade around 10 years ago, which was also offered to DW but they refused. That coaster is running much better than TOT was, especially towards the end. It should be common knowledge that Village has a higher maintenance budget than DW, especially prior to 2016.

Needless to say I don't think SE will be going anywhere anytime soon. It has aged like a fine wine compared to other accelerator coasters and is still one of MW's most popular attractions, behind DCR and WWF, so Village can justify spending money on maintenance. Comparably AA is a rickety old SLC, is down more often than SE, and is easily the worst coaster on the Gold Coast that is closer to its end than it is to its beginning.

Edited by Baconjack

13 hours ago, Baconjack said:

is easily the worst coaster on the Gold Coast

easily?

I mean if we're going to start picking the worst coasters on the coast, I don't think it's "easy" to put Arkham at the bottom. MDMC, Buzzsaw, HWSW, Storm... these four immediately come to mind as being pretty poor examples. I won't rank them beyond saying for me, they're all at the bottom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

I'd enjoy myself more on Storm and Buzzsaw to be honest.

Than Arkham, I assume?

Yeah look, different for everybody I guess. For me, Buzz is just too short. It's Surfrider with a bit more track and an inversion. It's a one-trick pony. Reminds me of Marcel Vos' half corkscrew coasters.

Storm is way better themed, but just not that exciting.

I know an SLC is an SLC, but honestly they're a staple across the world, so clearly popular enough, and with the Kumbak train I think we have one of the better ones. The VR adds to it too. Now, i'm not Push, and i'm not going to sit here and claim its the best on the coast - I agree its near the bottom of the list - it may even BE at the bottom - all i'm saying is I don't think its a clear cut "easily" at the bottom as was made out.

7 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Give me Arkham over HWSW, Buzz and Storm every day. Tbh I prefer it to GL as well.. 

Agreed. The restraints on Buzzsaw are too bulky and press down on my rib cage to the point where I can hardly breathe. It's also surprisingly rough for an otherwise straightforward layout.

HWSW gives me a headache and the exit from the 2nd inversion hurts your lower back. Shit ride at DW and it was equally shit when at LP Sydney. My now 50 year old sister never ride another Coaster again after we did it in Sydney, so there you go.

Arkham just puts a bit of pressure on your thighs upon braking. Maybe I am biased because I opened LW and have ridden that coaster more than just about anyone but since Kumbak replaced the seats and restraints I actually find it fine. Surprisingly, It's also 2nd favourite Coaster at MW for many, while detested by the rest. Definitely the most polarising major Coaster on the Coast!

HWSW will go before AA does. I'd give AA 5 more years. HWSW 2-3 years tops.

• Like 2

Arkham is an awful ride for me at least. Last time I rode it around November of last year I found it to be very rough and the leg bashing I got was borderline unbearable. I prefer all of the above rides to Arkham with the exception of maybe MDMC. HWSW is bland and slightly jerky with the Vekoma cars, but it was definitely much worse than AA with the old Arrow trains running. Buzzsaw is intense but rough as guts, still a passable ride though. Storm is much better than the others, but the thing holding it back is its very short length.

9 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Arkham is an awful ride for me at least. Last time I rode it around November of last year I found it to be very rough and the leg bashing I got was borderline unbearable. I prefer all of the above rides to Arkham with the exception of maybe MDMC. HWSW is bland and slightly jerky with the Vekoma cars, but it was definitely much worse than AA with the old Arrow trains running. Buzzsaw is intense but rough as guts, still a passable ride though. Storm is much better than the others, but the thing holding it back is its very short length.

MDMC is good/bad depending on the rider. Typically larger or tall riders find it quite uncomfortable and even painful. However, for smaller riders and kids in the sidecar, MDMC is actually pretty enjoyable. For Arkham, everyone gets leg bashing and head/neck bashing. Easily the worst coaster in Australia for me (excluding travelling rides).