Would it be worth replacing the Tower of Terror 2?

In light of it's closure, would it be worth Dreamworld having another reverse free fall coaster built? 

Take into consideration;

The Dreamworld Tower would most likely have to be rebuilt.

Possibly, they could demolish the tower, and rebuild it with Falcon Fury gondolas on a new drop tower and another Tower of Terror that reaches a high speed and height. It would come at a massive cost but I think it could be worth it in the future.

This is very wishful thinking, but interested to hear your opinions.

Probably cheaper to refurb the existing rides than to rip and replace, and they're clear on their decision here.

TOT was a first of its kind and record breaking installation, I feel they would need to do that again to have the same long lasting impact that tot did. But given what's out there now that are holding the records I'd say they are no longer within reach for us in Oz.

• Like 1

No. There already is a replacement for TOT coming - the Mack multilaunch coaster going in the plot of TRRR which is going to be a great deal better than TOT as it last operated.

No major manufacturer produces a reverse freefall coaster in 2019. So, what do you do? Build a Red Force clone? an S&S air launch coaster? You'd be lucky to have any of these open within the next 10 years, let alone built at all.

It should only be reasonable to expect another drop tower on the Dreamworld Tower site, or if the existing structure is proven feasible enough for it - a retrofit. If I were to guess, DW would utilise TOT's land to open up the area between ABC Kids/Wiggles and Dreamworks, an area which has been divided in half for too long.

You know the other Reverse Free Fall coaster turbo track at Abu Dhabi, and It can be upgraded to be as high as over 100 meters to replace the TOT, and I hope DW could do this.

If the Giant Drop in the structure of TOT, I believe that DW would replace it by Funtime Skyfall with over 100 meters or Intamin Skyjump(Ikaros).

52 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

I thought Intamin did. It’s on their website. https://www.intaminworldwide.com/project/tower-of-terror-ii/

The one pictured is the DW ToT.

Intamin's modern day version of the ride is this one at Ferrari World. 

The loading is faster with the switch track and also the cars have greater capacity with both forward and backward seats.

BUT when you compare the ride to the new Coaster coming to DW, this new version of ToT really doesn't have anything that the new Coaster does + another  one trick pony is not what DW needs.

I wish they could have come up with an affordable and effective way to salvage ToT, sadly 2019 is one for the DW history books.

images.jpeg

images (1).jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MickeyD said:

The one pictured is the DW ToT.

Intamin's modern day version of the ride is this one at Ferrari World. 

The loading is faster with the switch track and also the cars have greater capacity with both forward and backward seats.

BUT when you compare the ride to the new Coaster coming to DW, this new version of ToT really doesn't have anything that the new Coaster does + another  one trick pony is not what DW needs.

I wish they could have come up with an affordable and effective way to salvage ToT, sadly 2019 is one for the DW history books.

images.jpeg

images (1).jpeg

I understand the faster loading, but Turbo Track has a smaller capacity than TOT? The former only has 12 seats, whereas TOT has 14.

Just now, AlexB said:

Turbo track has two cars - 2 x 12 = 24. Plus you can be loading one car while the other is cycling.

Oops, my mistake. I didn't know it had two cars. 

Curious to know, if anyone has ridden it.. is it a good experience? I'm going to Abu Dhabi in January, so keen to know what it's like. Does it have a kick like TOT did?

• Like 1

I went Ferrari World a couple of years ago now. Turbo Track is fun but lacklustre especially when you've ridden it's older brother!

But Ferrari World also has Formula Rossa (Fastest coaster in the world) and Flying Aces (A Hyper with the tallest non inverting loop). So anything is going to be lacklustre compared to those!

5 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

Oops, my mistake. I didn't know it had two cars.

It does help to pay attention to what you're quoting - i didn't know either, but took the lead from MickeyD's post:

16 hours ago, MickeyD said:

loading is faster with the switch track and also the cars

Cars is plural, but also - why would you have a switch track if there was only one car? ;)

Logic always wins.

• Like 1

Once the track is removed maybe add a third vertical track in it's place to use as a whole new experience (ala Falcon's fury). 

Regardless of what the plans are, the Entire Tower and GD Gondolas are in desperate need of major works including a full Tower & Track structural inspection, full top-to-toe repaint (has it ever happened?) rebuilt/refresh/replace Gondolas, rebuild/retheme the Q and so called 'themed' oil rig surrounds.

Seems costly and surely only worth the investment if a whole new ride experience can be added to a freshly reinvigorated Tower. Let's hope DW have plans to this effect because (for DW) it's definitely an asset worth keeping.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MickeyD said:

Once the track is removed maybe add a third vertical track in it's place to use as a whole new experience (ala Falcon's fury). 

I think the process is a bit more complicated. The Sky Jump runs on a totally different track system to the existing Giant Drop infrastructure. The new track would have to be installed around the tower which would necessitate the removal of not only the existing TOT track, but also the existing GD track as well. And the probability this happens depends on whether a structural assessment of the existing tower has found such a conversion is feasible, and whether or not Intamin are willing to convert the DW tower to Sky Jump technology considering no such conversion has ever been attempted.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

I think the process is a bit more complicated. The Sky Jump runs on a totally different track system to the existing Giant Drop infrastructure. The new track would have to be installed around the tower which would necessitate the removal of not only the existing TOT track, but also the existing GD track as well. And the probability this happens depends on whether a structural inspection has found such a conversion is feasible, and whether or not Intamin are willing to convert the DW tower to Sky Jump technology considering no such conversion has ever been attempted.

Thanks for clarifying. If that's the case then maybe this ride system type is what DW need to be considering for the Tower's future? 

Technology has come a long way since that one opened in 2014. Maybe some seats could be locked in two standard modes offering different experiences? Also a different type of Gondola could be developed that folds forward upon lift off approx 12 seats across attached to the other (said) independent track. 

One thing's for sure, they either plan to do something more with the Tower or plan to get rid of it.