Vortex ride Delayed at SW

Tim Dasco

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cheski said:

I know that this would be considered speculation, though does anyone know if the current takeover offers of Village Roadshow would affect the current timelines of the vortex, Lethavian, and Trident being built?

Shouldn’t as the capex has already been approved by the Board and the funds allocated. Whether that remains the same in the actual event of a takeover, who knows...

Also, it would be a bad PR move for the new owner to cancel or substantially change the timeline, unless they were doing something even bigger & better. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, westical said:

Also, it would be a bad PR move for the new owner to cancel or substantially change the timeline, unless they were doing something even bigger & better. 

Anything that isn't already financially committed by contract will probably get cancelled. They're intending on paying a premium for the business, and they're in the business of making money, not spending it.

13 hours ago, themagician said:

252D1C50-2A37-4C07-A668-80F5F769D176.thumb.jpeg.da5b29ed8e6af5d6f01cc6ea280b8ae3.jpeg

I will say, while i know this artwork hasn't impressed everyone who has seen it, it is nice to see village advertising a ride coming soon before the ride has actually started testing, and not pretending it doesn't exist.

We all throw mud at them for things like what happened with Wild, but then lambast them when they won't promote things ahead of opening day. They can't win either way, but at least they're trying some teaser material again.

Although.... by all accounts it was supposed to be open by now... so let's not give them TOO much credit... also, its very clearly an edited original, and the coming soon is definitely an afterthought as seen by the much larger box surrounding it

image.png.a5a5fc9ecb3f2554e55ca7702099a8f3.png

43 minutes ago, joz said:

Yeah who doesn't like getting to a park and getting excited for something that isn't open and won't be experienced during their visit?

What’s even better is if you booked flights from the other side of the country to go ride it only to find the ride parts aren’t even on site yet. No communication was publicly announced saying the ride was delayed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

What’s even better is if you booked flights from the other side of the country to go ride it only to find the ride parts aren’t even on site yet. No communication was publicly announced saying the ride was delayed.

No one books flights to the other side of a country Solely for a generic flat ride. 

1 minute ago, Brad2912 said:

No one books flights to the other side of a country Solely for a generic flat ride. 

Solely? No. but you might have been weighing up timing for a visit based on multiple other attractions you'd yet to see, and taken the plunge based on the firm 'december' date previously given...

If I book a holiday to do theme parks, and I see one of the theme parks is getting a new ride, I may or may not be a bit excited to give it a ride. I agree that no one books a flight to go on a ride, but if the only thing that is being hyped at a park isn't open I'd be bummed.

Even DW changed their Billboard when it became apparent that SV's delay was going to be substantial.

Edited by joz

10 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Solely? No. but you might have been weighing up timing for a visit based on multiple other attractions you'd yet to see, and taken the plunge based on the firm 'december' date previously given...

True.

but shit happens. There is plenty of other things to do on the GC.

Could be worse, you could have booked a trip to Shanghai to go to Disneyland...

1 minute ago, Brad2912 said:

True.

but shit happens. There is plenty of other things to do on the GC.

Could be worse, you could have booked a trip to Shanghai to go to Disneyland...

Well park could have done a post on Facebook say, “due to circumstances beyond our control Vortex will be delayed till mid 2020, we apologies for any inconveniences caused.”

Rather they just have ignored the ride, so people that didn’t know any better would have arrived on a holiday to find the ride not there.

4 hours ago, AlexB said:

Anything that isn't already financially committed by contract will probably get cancelled. They're intending on paying a premium for the business, and they're in the business of making money, not spending it.

Curious what you're basing this view on? PEP pumped a stack of money into Hoyts right after they bought the business. Most of these private equity firms are looking to grow the value of their acquisitions and sell them off for a profit, which generally involves serious capital expenditure. Any interim operating profits are a bonus. I suspect that the parks are probably more likely to see major additions under private equity than they have as semi-public companies.

Edited by aaronm

7 minutes ago, aaronm said:

Curious what you're basing this view on? PEP pumped a stack of money into Hoyts right after they bought the business. Most of these private equity firms are looking to grow the value of their acquisitions and sell them off for a profit, which generally involves serious capital expenditure. Any interim operating profits are a bonus. I suspect that the parks are probably more likely to see major additions under private equity than they have as semi-public companies.

But unless it's a company that knows how to run theme parks. If they drop any capital, it'll probably be a bunch of stupid shit that's not needed.
We've seen before what happens when a theme park is taken over by people who aren't in the business of running a theme park *cough* ardent leisure *cough*
It's only now that the head brass is made up of theme park focussed people, that we're finally seeing some* pride and care taken with the park.

*There is still a long way to go but it's a hell of a lot better than where they were.