Off Topic Random Thoughts

rappa

On 05/02/2020 at 9:51 PM, djrappa said:

It’s not uncommon for a park to have one of these people. Wonderland had Kevin, Knotts Berry Farm has Richard and seems DW has Ben. 

These guys are usually a bit on the spectrum which seems the case here also, and the parks are their comfort place. 
It’s not really any different to someone that gets home each afternoon and plays fortnight, instead they go to the park. 

I think you've precisely described this one. Good on him.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Skeeta said:

@Gary86 DW moving forward is not a sad thing.

Moving forward isn't, but the loss of the cafe does have some nostalgia attached to it.

I'm fairly certain that at least part of this structure was the original 'hollywood house' on property when Longhurst bought the land, wasn't it?

So its a fairly significant, and pretty much one of the last remnants of original Dreamworld.

I'm not against progress, and moving forward, but it's still a sad day for those who remember it and know its history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -nick.white.1543 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong, but didn't the Hollywood House get taken down, put into storage, but then eaten by termites?

There was a lot of debates around Hollywood House as to what happened to it and where it ended up. After a shittonne of digging, it was discovered that the Big Brother Cafe was part of the original Hollywood House. Changes were made over the years as it was shifted from it's original location to where it is now located in Gold Rush.

One could argue that the house is the earliest remnant of Dreamworld.

38 minutes ago, Jdude95 said:

There was a lot of debates around Hollywood House as to what happened to it and where it ended up. After a shittonne of digging, it was discovered that the Big Brother Cafe was part of the original Hollywood House. Changes were made over the years as it was shifted from it's original location to where it is now located in Gold Rush.

One could argue that the house is the earliest remnant of Dreamworld.

That's what I originally thought and used to think until I read @Slick's interview with John Longhurst and this was in it:

image.thumb.png.1924b5ec8a9bacbef9f966ee264ca045.png

Please correct me if I am wrong because this topic does really interest me :)

The interview as well: http://roache.co/2018/03/28/john-longhurst-dreamworld-origins/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, -nick.white.1543 said:

That's what I originally thought and used to think until I read @Slick's interview with John Longhurst and this was in it:

image.thumb.png.1924b5ec8a9bacbef9f966ee264ca045.png

Please correct me if I am wrong because this topic does really interest me :)

The interview as well: http://roache.co/2018/03/28/john-longhurst-dreamworld-origins/

I think it might have been @Slick that finally discovered the BB Cafe was the original Hollywood House, albeit modified from it's original form. I can't confirm that though so ultimately, he would be the best person to ask/confirm
I'm only tagging him again because it's fun to summon him.

Edited by Jdude95
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, -nick.white.1543 said:

Please correct me if I am wrong

The part of Slick's article that says that is a quote from Bob Tan.

Given recent developments, I'm surprised Bob even knew the park had a hollywood house to begin with. Because he sure as shit didn't seem to recall much else.

• Like 2

Because it would seem no people can’t have nice things this thread now locked. 

As stated adnauseam please start new threads for new subjects. No more random threads now. 

Just so no one thinks I’m on the rag or something (a term I consider quite offensive to women PS) here’s why this thread is locked. 

As stated in the first post, this thread was for random comments or thoughts. Anything that might solicit even one reply should have its own thread. 
New Screens at Movie World? Yes that’s a topic

Tailspin not working as it used to? Definitely a topic

So as we don’t want random mega threads full of all sorts of multi post discussion we’re closing random discussion threads. Please start a topic for anything you wish to discuss. 

• rappa locked this topic