Sea World during the Summer Crowds

themagician

We went to Sea World yesterday and it probably the first time I’ve ever been to the park during the busy Summer holidays. We went in knowing how busy it would be, but just thought I’d share some comments on how they handle it and what the park had extra to offer. 

With Carnivale about to begin, there were already some food stalls out for the event, which they were making good use of. They added an extra unique option of food and drinks that the park don’t already have. There were also some candy stalls and a Boost truck along the path to Castaway Bay. 

The extra queue footprint the park has added for Storm and JR was a great decision and was definitely needed. There were extra show times, which were full every time.

The park has stated they aren’t happy with the lighting within Sea Jellies and yesterday showed how much of an issue the lack of lighting was. While it makes the jellies visually amazing, people were walking into each other and tripping over prams. People were turning on their phone lights to be able to see because it was so dark in there.

The main issues the park has during the busy period is the parking and entrance. The overflow grassed area was in use, but I definitely think there is a need for traffic control out here because it turns out people are very incompetent  when there are no line markings, cones or people to direct. There was some order at the front, but then people would leave massive gaps, park in front of people so they couldn’t get out and by the time we left at early afternoon, it was single lane to get in an out which proved to be a challenge. This is not necessarily the parks fault but I think they could implement ways to fix this. Also, with them constructing the new helicopter centre, there is no turn around point for cars at the end of each row, which caused issues. 

At the entrance, they were making use of the pass holder entry and had set up a queue rails for the large crowds (well done SW), but because they insist on getting your photo, it made the process very slow. And they ended up closing this entry at 11, which made the main entry very long and unorganised because of their camera/photo set up.

Overall it was a good morning at the park, even with the massive crowds. The park definitely do some good things, but there are some areas to improve on to make the guest experience even better 

Edited by themagician
  • Like 5

SeaWorld is still a great park and when Vortex, Leviathan and trident open it's going to be exceptional, but I really wish they just remove the Vikings revenge flume ride it's been in public view for 3 years now and doesn't look good at all.

I also remember Bikash stating earlier in the year that major renovations were happening to the entrance of SeaWorld but nothing as of yet.

That’s just ridiculous about Sea Jellies. 

How about people just watch where they are going and have some spatial awareness about themselves. The lighting there is more than enough to see where you’re going if you’re not being a self absorbed jerk. Just have some consideration for those around you. 

people suck 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, djrappa said:

How about people just watch where they are going and have some spatial awareness about themselves. The lighting there is more than enough to see where you’re going if you’re not being a self absorbed jerk. Just have some consideration for those around you. 

people suck 

Some super dim markers on the ground (like airplane cabins or museums) would work a treat without ruining the illusion I reckon.

2 hours ago, djrappa said:

people suck 

I’ve been into Jellies many times and for some reason, there did seem to be less lighting than usual. And it isn’t an over reaction in any way, I was in there for 5 minutes and watched 2 instances of people walking into each other and 1 person trip over a pram as someone turned around 

• Like 1

Yeah I hate to take that side but I also think it's waaay too dark in there. The problem is less about the lights and more that you go straight from outside where it's just full on sunlight and white painted buildings to dark as hell in an instant, and it takes a while for your eyes to adjust. Its also a cramped space, and it can get very busy at times, and the mirrors make it hard to get a sense of what's happening in the room. My first visit I stayed at the side of the room waiting for my eyes to adjust, and more than 1 person walked (gently) into me. I think for sure that prams in there makes what is a crappy setup anyway and makes it dangerous.

Short of having an attendant to stop the prams, and a preshow to get people used to low light and to stop the building from being swamped, I think it should be brightened up a little in there. I hate that I have that opinion because it's really nice once you get used to it an if it isn't too busy but as is, no good.

• Like 2