Arkham Asylum Maintenance 2020

Rabbit2014

It seems more like they are actively trying to fix whatever the issue is, given the open/close cycle. Yeah, its an old ride, but its generally pretty reliable all things considered. Down time between open periods could be waiting for parts or repair/testing. Especially if age is making it hard to repair or find parts. 

If it was just a case of its old, we cant fix it, they probably wouldnt have been reopening it multiple times over the last couple of months. Youd just write it off and close the ride when it looked like it was a difficult fix.

Edited by Levithian

While I do agree that space will be ripe for the next major development at the park, and hopefully when they do, they'll incorporate pathways from WWF to Superman via scooby into the mix, but I disagree with the hate for SLCs. Sure, they have a reputation, but Arkham is by all accounts one of the better SLCs out there, especially with the newer train \ restraints.

I do hope the old girl still has some life left. The park can't afford another major just yet, and losing Arkham will leave a large hole in the park's lineup.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

While I do agree that space will be ripe for the next major development at the park, and hopefully when they do, they'll incorporate pathways from WWF to Superman via scooby into the mix, but I disagree with the hate for SLCs. Sure, they have a reputation, but Arkham is by all accounts one of the better SLCs out there, especially with the newer train \ restraints.

I do hope the old girl still has some life left. The park can't afford another major just yet, and losing Arkham will leave a large hole in the park's lineup.

Couldn’t agree more Arkham is a great coaster and one of my Favourite in the park, hopefully when they get her open she does have a few more years left in her 

Are you basing your assessment of this ride on any in-depth mechanical, engineering, or maintenance experience from working at Movie World?

Or are you just going off the fact that others have said it's nearing end of life? Or perhaps on the recent end of life closures for Sea Viper, Wipeout and Tower of Terror?

Arkham Asylum opened in December 1995 - its currently 25 years old. There are 50 Vekoma SLC models listed in RCDB, (8 of which are relocations)

First up - Sea Viper. Opened in December 1981, it closed in 2014. That's 33 years. If you're using this metric, we've still got the best part of the next decade to enjoy Arkham.

Wipeout - the Waikiki Wave Super Flip (another vekoma, by the way) - only 7 in the world, and a very different ride system to a coaster. I believe the last two surviving models - Wipeout, and Huracan at Six Flags Mexico both closed in 2019, indicative that they had definitely reached end of life. Arkham does not necessarily fit that description at this time.

Tower of Terror - by all accounts the ride system was end of life. Magic Mountain's Superman version received an upgrade to the launch system about a decade ago, and from what I understand, they're currently cannibalising ToT for any parts they can make use of, as Intamin doesn't support the ride system anymore (and why not, when its 23 years old, and has only two installations in the world).

None of these points apply to the SLC. Of the 42 models in existence, only 2 are not operating - one in South Africa which stopped operations in May 2018, and one in Suzhou China, which stopped in October 2017. The most recent (new) installs appears to be Energylandia, opening in September 2015, and Sun World Danang in Vietnam which opened in January 2017.

Along with the Boomerang, the SLC is one of the most prolific of Vekoma's coasters. Parts and equipment clearly will continue to be available so long as Vekoma continues to sell the model or variant to the market, so it will not suffer from the issues that Wipeout or ToT have.

It will come down to when parts are no longer financially viable. The ride is still insanely popular, and so long as it remains popular, the park will continue to invest in parts and maintenance so long as it is financially viable to do so. I think it will probably come down to if the rolling stock \ hangers suffer issues as that would possibly be the most expensive cost to keep it running, but given they have parts available (due to the "purple" train cannibalisation), and likely more than 42 other train assemblies out there in the world, acquiring even those parts wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker.

It may very well turn out that there is an insurmountable issue in the future, but to be claiming its deteriorating rapidly is ridiculous (unless you have actual, tangible evidence to the contrary), especially when you compare to other ride models from Vekoma - such as our own Titan\Demon\Zoomerang (the boomerang from World expo, that moved to Wonderland Sydney, then Alabama, then India) that keeps on kicking despite being 7-8 years older, and being relocated 3 times

unlike some more modern coasters, many earlier vekoma coasters were welded together, meaning relocations required the steel to be cut, and re-welded rather than simply unbolting the track pieces

Edited by AlexB
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, djrappa said:

Hang on... Rivals and Superman closed at the same time?

I feel bad for guest services staff already. 

Yes there will be some pissed off guests I think. 

I notice that both rivals and superman both have seemingly longer maintenance periods than previously? I’m sure rivals was only about 3 weeks last year? 

• rappa locked this topic