18 January - Gold Coast theme parks closed due to severe weather and flooding

On 18/01/2020 at 1:02 PM, elemist said:

Is the actual park flooded or is it just the car park?

Judging by the flotsam lines around green lantern that I saw yesterday, the water covered the gravel beneath the ride, but does not seem to have reached the line of track - which is maybe 2 feet above the gravel at the lowest point.

There were deep channels in the gravel yesterday, which I assume were plowed in by maintenance to assist with drainage.

The timber retaining wall holding the gravel in just near the final dip before the brake run looked to have been damaged - it was bulging outwards at quite an angle, and much of the gravel and soil surrounding one of the footers on that last dip had been washed out, although I assume the footers are deep enough that there are no structural integrity issues with that.

There are a few low path points in that area, including in Rivals queue, (and the ladders behind the rivals station had a bit of flotsam gathered around the second bottom step), so some queues would have been submerged, but it appears much of the infrastructure is high enough to be safely out of harms way.

• Like 2

On 20/01/2020 at 5:49 AM, AlexB said:

Judging by the flotsam lines around green lantern that I saw yesterday, the water covered the gravel beneath the ride, but does not seem to have reached the line of track - which is maybe 2 feet above the gravel at the lowest point.

There were deep channels in the gravel yesterday, which I assume were plowed in by maintenance to assist with drainage.

The timber retaining wall holding the gravel in just near the final dip before the brake run looked to have been damaged - it was bulging outwards at quite an angle, and much of the gravel and soil surrounding one of the footers on that last dip had been washed out, although I assume the footers are deep enough that there are no structural integrity issues with that.

There are a few low path points in that area, including in Rivals queue, (and the ladders behind the rivals station had a bit of flotsam gathered around the second bottom step), so some queues would have been submerged, but it appears much of the infrastructure is high enough to be safely out of harms way.

Thanks for the update and info - sounds like they got somewhat lucky and there wasn't too much damage.