New Attraction for Dreamworld Suggestions

27 minutes ago, Gazza said:

What immersive theming is on the log ride at present?

Well none, that’s my point. But to bring in a new log ride, it would have to be fully themed and completely new, otherwise there is no point to get a new log ride. It’s better to refurb the existing one and add better theming. (More cost-effective to refurb rather than demolish and rebuild imo)

Edited by daltma10

What if you did a few gimmicks like turntables or coaster style drops? And then just a few key bits of theming, but otherwise just "bush" around the ride?

I disagree that a refurb would be cheaper on such an old ride, when you can get a brand new one that is fully modern.If there is talk of removing it, then that would suggest money on a refurb is no longer cost effective, no?

23 minutes ago, daltma10 said:

there is no point

I have 2 points.

Every ride has a used by date where a refurb will no longer cut it.

The Log Ride is an in-house ride and I don't think any park is too comfortable running in-house rides anymore.

And everything @Gazza said.  Flume rides have changed in the last 30 years and the Log Ride no longer cuts it.

Edited by Skeeta

Gazza, I see your point.

3 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

I have 2 points.

Every ride has a used by date where a refurb will no longer cut it.

The Log Ride is an in-house ride and I don't think any park is too comfortable running in-house rides anymore.

Timber Mountain at Knotts has been around longer and was refurbed in 2013 as I don’t think log flumes have as short of a use by date. And I agree with your in-house point for sure as I forgot it was built by Dreamworld.

3 hours ago, Skeeta said:

I didn't say it has a short use by date but the different methods of construction means you cant really compare them.   Knotts flume ride was built by Arrow and not in-house.  

Also the one at knotts probably didn't have an excavator running over it and dropping the rubble from a cave into it

> Return Main Street to quality Standard - including fountain

> Return Steam Train, Paddle Wheeler and Vintage Cars - very necessary, as they compliment the theming, one of the other!

> Begin planning for major new log ride "Rocky Hollow" Mark II - probably to begin work around middle of 2020's

> Not anti another coaster....BUT, must be careful not to get trapped in the "coaster cycle".....quality over quantity.....

New stuff is great and very necessary...but quality theming must be the focus going forward. 

I fly blind here, as have not visited DW in some years...because of simply the lack of quality. DW should return to quality enduring attractions...not simply new stuff for the sake of new stuff and avoid the dreaded and incredibly expensive "coaster cycle".

• Like 2

@RobMac
DWs has done a heap of work on its theming-/aesthetic of late. Sure it may not be cohesive or flowing in places, but it’s at least bright, colourful and appealing. 

the globe is far better than a standard fountain imo. It’s a fantastic photo op and welcome to the park. 

vintage cars still exists.

a new paddlewheeler would be a terrible waste of capex. 

• Like 4

I disagree. The bright and colourful makes Main Street seem like a toy shop. It’s bright and colourful but what it needs is detail and more realistic apathetic. 

The globe is cool and all, but it’s execution is average at best. The fountain used to have multiple jets and a pristine fountain in the middle. Very classy. 

We won’t ever see Captain Sturt return, however why not look at using the river for a boat attraction, similar in vein to Jungle Cruise? 

Vintage cars are the parks best attraction yet they are in the worst possible spot. I hope that eventually gets addressed, 

Old Dreamworld had charm, and people loved it. It included detail and things we can only dream of today. Such as the detailing on the train carriages that are now gone, a genuine steam locomotive which is an attraction itself, a clock tower with a train that went around every 15 mins. There was the waterwheel in Billabong which also doesn’t spin or have water running through it anymore. These details existed because they should, not because they were needed. It’s time for these little things to be looked at again, and that alone will go a long way in restoring the magic of the park.

• Like 3

Whilst I agree with the majority of what you say, I think the generation of today, which makes up a large (and growing) portion of their target market has a lot less appreciation for those elements of detail and charm that DW had and were appreciated 15+ years ago. 

Whilst I don’t intend to paint an entire generation with the same brush, to the majority a train is a train, a water wheel is an element you may take a photo in front of because “what is this thing, I’m gonna insta it”. For them bright means new and looks better on social media. 

This change in the expectation or appreciation of guests SHOULDNT mean the park doesn’t focus on or put effort into the small things, the details etc, but quite rapidly the decision makers and voices in the meetings that decide where money and effort go to are increasingly becoming those very same people that prefer bright insta opportunities over historic charm or nostalgic sentiment.

Edited by Brad2912

See that’s the point though. It’s the little detail that should be done because it’s the right thing to do. Have the water wheel working again, because it’s the right thing to do. People see a broken water wheel and their impression is “well that’s shit”. People see a working water wheel, and either ignore it, or as you said “hey that’s cool, let’s instagram it”. Even if they ignored that water wheel, subconsciously they took note of it, and it’s a piece of a place making memory that will last a lifetime. 
As I said, there are things that should be done because it’s the right thing to do. 

On the Main Street buildings, you’ve got me there, however it doesn’t change my thoughts that the buildings must still look presentable, clean and not broken. First impressions count, and Main Street is Dreamworld’s first inside the park impression.

On the train, in a thrill park (six flags style) it makes sense to have a diesel train, because as you said the target market isn’t interested. However if the new core focus of Dreamworld is families, then a steam train is an attraction that you can’t get anywhere else, which is important as it gives the families a lasting memory. They could go anywhere and ride a diesel or electric train, but at Dreamworld they can ride behind a genuine steam locomotive, and not only that but they can get right upto it and have a good look at it. it’s something they should do because it’s the right thing to do. 

If Dreamworld is a genuine family park, then they need to focus on the little detail, because it’s those little details, and doing things that they should do because it’s the right thing to do which create impressions and memories to last a lifetime. Setup those memories and emotion right now; and in 30 years time when that family is all grown up and has kids of their own; the subconscious memories skew that family to Dreamworld, and the cycle continues. 

• Like 2

I just think that Dreamworld should focus on creating more themed experiences in their park because that's what they're best at. Sky Voyager was a great addition to the park and is a perfect attraction for all audiences. If Dreamworld want to take in more people, that's the direction they should be taking

2 hours ago, Slick said:

The majority of Disney's guests don't understand the science or the reasoning behind what makes parks like Disneyland so magical, but it's unquestionable that every single guest appreciates their attention to detail and it's why they continue to be the gold standard for theme parks globally.

No one notices the little things, until the little things aren't there anymore

• Like 4

Correct.

The argument that current generation isn’t interested and therefore doesn’t need quality and detail is false. 

This is being proven time and time again but the latest offerings by Disney and Universal. They HAVE to keep outdoing each other because it’s been shown when one takes immersion to another level, they lose business to the other. 

immersion and detail is key. 

• Like 2

Things like the water wheel are also incredibly important to your subconscious - kinetic energy draws the eye - so have things moving about.  (While we're talking about waterwheels, the one on Wild West has stopped too).

Little details, things that move are pleasing to the eye and make it feel more real and immersive - you're not standing in front of a matte painting.

Take a look at any theme park ad anywhere - in the background there are always rides in motion, people walking, bunches of balloons being peddled by a street seller. it creates environment.

Now, perhaps an unpopular opinion - but i'd like to see Dreamworld do something different with the Main Street fountain.

image.png.35850a2e893703d2ddecb56802882742.png

Cut it out like this - basically complete the circle that the deck has started. Put another 'Dreamworld' sign on the other side providing twice the opportunity for selfies and family photos (in the near future, the new rollercoaster would be in the background of the opposite view). Clear the space shown in the above image and put something kinetic in that space. A ride, yes, not just some mechanical doo-dad. My first thoughts are a large ferris wheel - and the Wheel of Brisbane, as an example, would fit -

image.thumb.png.cf256aa9f6adc478c453b4bf17bdaa2d.png

(Although, it doesn't have to be that big either)

This would affect the previously mentioned idea of the double sided globe, but it would give kinetic energy to main street that is lacking, and a far more impressive photo location than what you currently get behind you if you take a 'globe' photo.

The wheel is one example, and one i know will be polarising. I'm sure there's others out there with a lot more ride knowledge that could suggest something better - but returning the fountain, whilst visually pleasing, isn't really offering a point of difference to what's available up the road at westfield (in fact, westfield offers a much better water fountain installation), and that space could be so much better utilised, installing a 'ride for the whole family' right next to Sky Voyager, which is also well suited to families, bringing some energy to main street and pulling guests away from Ocean Parade - a nice 'mid station' stop on the way between the big coasters at each corner of the front of the park...

thoughts?

Yeah I don’t think a Ferris wheel there would be good either, it would just make that area more chaotic. We’ve got the bright LEGO store, the white clean SV, simple, but bright stores and food outlets and a fairy store. I think bringing back the fountains would be nice and maybe make it a unique feature. Maybe there could be a small fountain show of some form in the middle. It doesn’t need to be anything fancy or a scheduled time, but adds to the atmosphere of Main Street. 

Continuing on about the details and our parks not caring as much anymore. It many ways the attention to detail has gone and they may see it as small things, but they add up and really can make a difference. While it’s not an amazing use of space, the shaded seating area creates the bright atmosphere that people loving sharing on social media. Disney and Universal thrive on these moments and are throughout all of their parks. Our parks need more of these moments. MW did have this on Main Street, but when they added the roof in, it took away from that. DW seem to currently be working on these ideas and it is improving.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AlexB said:

The wheel is one example, and one i know will be polarising. I'm sure there's others out there with a lot more ride knowledge that could suggest something better

1 hour ago, pin142 said:

A ferris wheel would be better suited between the two kids areas where tower occupies. The idea of a giant wheel immediately as you enter the park isn't exactly something I'd like to see upon first entering the park.

58 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

Good because I'm with @pin142 

Got any better ideas?

How about a revolving observation tower?

Looking for something that ticks the boxes for family footprint and fun, suited to the current area.

41 minutes ago, themagician said:

Yeah I don’t think a Ferris wheel there would be good either, it would just make that area more chaotic. We’ve got the bright LEGO store, the white clean SV, simple, but bright stores and food outlets and a fairy store.

But you're stuck with Sky Voyager as a brand new attraction, so if anything is going its main street outlets and fairy store. Lego is modern, as is SV. We've already knocked down the cinema, might as well reimagine the whole area into something cohesive, rather than the 'chaos' we've got now.