Current State of Sea World

Zanstabar

Sea World used to be one of my favourite parks on the Gold Coast. It has a beautiful location and was home to many of my childhood favourite attractions. A recent trip to the park had me in disbelief as to what had happened to it. A janky carnival ride sits in the middle of the park, the shows just aren't as engaging and entertaining as they once were, and any form of atmosphere has gone. Has Sea World only recently become a mess? Or am I just blinded by nostalgia?

18 minutes ago, Zanstabar said:

Sea World used to be one of my favourite parks on the Gold Coast. It has a beautiful location and was home to many of my childhood favourite attractions. A recent trip to the park had me in disbelief as to what had happened to it. A janky carnival ride sits in the middle of the park, the shows just aren't as engaging and entertaining as they once were, and any form of atmosphere has gone. Has Sea World only recently become a mess? Or am I just blinded by nostalgia?

Bikash happened to SW and now he has control of it all.

Edited by Skeeta
  • Like 1

Dr @joz, I wasn't expecting you to come through with that dissertation on the fall on Sea World. When I visited last I started to wonder whether the park has always felt poorly executed and that my childhood memories clouded that view. Your post puts everything into perspective, especially things I didn't even consider. 

So I guess the next question is "What will bring the magic back to Sea World?" and "Does management want to bring the old Sea World back?"

Stood outside SW about a year ago...a few weeks before they announced  the coming new attractions and to be honest, the entrance was looking very sad.....GC Parks need serious global partners for $$$ and skill sets they just don't have....exception being Movieworld, overall it still scrubs-up pretty well and hasn't butchered itself.....yet! SW, I think [hope] can and probably will find its way back...as for DW......touch-n-go......let's hope so, a much improved reopen Log Ride would be a start....we'll soon know.

21 hours ago, Zanstabar said:

Dr @joz, I wasn't expecting you to come through with that dissertation on the fall on Sea World. When I visited last I started to wonder whether the park has always felt poorly executed and that my childhood memories clouded that view. Your post puts everything into perspective, especially things I didn't even consider. 

So I guess the next question is "What will bring the magic back to Sea World?" and "Does management want to bring the old Sea World back?"

...employ @joz

A wheel would have been perfect for where Vortex is going. It might not have suited that theme, but it works for that area. Hopefully they pull the Vortex off. And I would love to see a spinning coaster, which could be a perfect family attraction. Something likes Crush’s Coaster at Disney Studio Park Paris.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, themagician said:

They now aren’t even showing the full version of the Seal Guardians show

What does a “Behind The Scenes” version of that show looks like? There isn’t any crazy effects, intricate sets to elaborate on etc. What exactly as they showing you that is “behind the scenes?”

who asked for a behind the scenes version of what was already rubbish? 

I saw this, its essentially a training run. They showcase different elements of the show and how they train the seals to do those parts.

I think the one I saw, they were literally training a seal as it was refusing to do some parts and wasn't doing other parts correctly.

I found this more interesting and there was enough 'Seal Tricks' to keep my 6 year old entertained.

They also did some extra tricks that aren't in the show which was cool.

4 hours ago, AheadMatthewawsome said:

Or the theme park industry will go in the way of the car industry.

One is manufacturing. One is an entertainment service provider. 

worlds of difference.

We lost the car manufacturing industry because our wage structures preclude the ability to provide a competitive priced alternative to the Asian imports.