Movie World Feb 2020 Update

themagician

Just a quick update for Feb at Movie World

Green Lantern is closed

C3DE836E-3E55-4ADC-8AEF-AA03A915B554.thumb.jpeg.095c81601b1f0dd8f02d38ea24bf2b8a.jpeg

AA is still closed for no viable activity. It isn’t listed as closed at the parks entrance, but it definitely is 

C6C389B3-4DFB-4BDC-B16D-4B86DEA6E526.thumb.jpeg.f381794371ddd57847874f4a9f5264c1.jpeg

Fencing was around the hut for months and now it’s a permanent wall

6BEDA5DC-EAD1-4E5E-B3DA-AC871A0622DF.thumb.jpeg.e823908bc6c14da325cf206930aa94ca.jpeg

Road Runner closed too

D035E620-708E-466E-A83C-90255754F712.thumb.jpeg.af8f997d78054cdd04ddb8c07f8faae1.jpeg

Fencing was damaged during the recent floods so it is being repaired 

B5946E30-10D5-4334-B57E-73AFCC9552D5.thumb.jpeg.cd425faa255f95b6c68b68a251f89c17.jpeg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, themagician said:

6BEDA5DC-EAD1-4E5E-B3DA-AC871A0622DF.thumb.jpeg.e823908bc6c14da325cf206930aa94ca.jpeg

Its a bit sad that one of the final bits of 'non ride' theming has been left to rot to a point where its better to hide it behind a wall? - that thatching isn't hard to maintain if you stay on it.... but what irritates me more is that you can see the concrete wear and tear from where the park bench sat (which seems to be missing in the above photo) - a metre to the left of the flowerpot.

That concrete is approaching 30 years old, and the exposed aggregate shows it.

image.thumb.png.a96ac92d8fe2e9b1e87b45d72b8a59f3.png

Even in this fairly recent (JDS) streetview photo from google, the thatch looks old, but it doesn't look horrible. they could have saved that (although I have no idea what they use that building for)

• Like 3

Id say any combination of the trusses, battens, rafters or purlins are probably rotten through and the whole lot might need replacement. It looks like they put the thatch over marine ply or something similar, so it was more about look than ever being dense enough to help keep the weather out. Remember the huge pine tree that used to be there on the other side? It cracked the walls of the building and lifted the path, so i wouldnt be surprised if the whole thing is condemned. Which of course means village will just cover it up and let it degrade futher by pretending its not there until someone realises its a fire or safety risk or something. 

Edited by Levithian

But pretty stickers on aluminium board paneling make for a feature wall and provide a good photo op right? Stand in front and have your photo taken with a flat colourful image of a character you could actually meet in park.

I mean, once upon a time murals and signage were still painted, not printed too, but its all the same thing isnt it?

Still, last time we took the kids it was just fenced off with temp fencing. Colourful siding is an improvement right? Its not like it will stay there for any period of time now the peak holiday season is over.....

1 hour ago, Levithian said:

But pretty stickers on aluminium board paneling make for a feature wall and provide a good photo op right?

If it completely hid the condemned structure behind it, sure. the fact that the garish thatched roof sticks out from above like a sore thumb (and will no doubt remain in the uncropped original photo or video) just ruins it.

but i hear what you're saying ;)

16 hours ago, Levithian said:

Can we all talk about the new printed, attraction specific fence panels for a moment. 

Did VistaPrint give them 200 free business cards along with it?

Its a nice touch, but honestly, its a band-aid solution for a park that is severely curtailing all of its 'nice touches'.

Rip Hut

18 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

I know it's probably supposed to be visible but "no viable activity" accurately sums up the current state of the ride.

I have a source onsite today that has said AA due for decommissioning within next two years.
So I don’t expect them to spend more money to fix current issue for only another year or so.

Edited by ejpdtd

25 minutes ago, ejpdtd said:

Rip Hut

I have a source onsite today that has said AA due for decommissioning within next two years.
So I don’t expect them to spend more money to fix current issue for only another year or so.

If the current issue is stopping it from operating, which appears to be the case, and they want it to see out another 2 years they will not have a choice but to invest it in, or bring forward permanent closure 

2 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

I've already signed you up to be on the train that crashes.  😂

To be honest it’s the better way to go. 

I’d rather that than be one of the guys who gets off at the last minute only to be hit by a stray wheel flying off Green Lantern when giving a tv interview outside the gates in the aftermath... 

8 hours ago, AlexB said:

Did VistaPrint give them 200 free business cards along with it?

Its a nice touch, but honestly, its a band-aid solution for a park that is severely curtailing all of its 'nice touches'.

Tough business negotiation. COO saving money with 2 for 1 packaged deals. Gotta be constantly achieving those financial outcomes....

All this hate for a ride that until recently was pretty much 100% reliable, rain, hail or shine. Some people are spoiled for choice (until it rains or it gets too hot, or basically any day that ends in "Y" in the case of green lantern). 

Edited by Levithian

12 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

If the current issue is stopping it from operating, which appears to be the case, and they want it to see out another 2 years they will not have a choice but to invest it in, or bring forward permanent closure 

That was the sentiment that was expressed, if it's not an easy fix then early closure is on the cards because it's only going to last another 2 years max anyway.

Edited by ejpdtd

On 05/02/2020 at 8:10 AM, AlexB said:

It really is a nice touch verses ATF fencing in my opinion. However rather than being cynical all the time I'm going to be hopeful that there is a scope of works and this wall is indeed a nice touch in the interim. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.W24 said:

It really is a nice touch verses ATF fencing in my opinion. However rather than being cynical all the time I'm going to be hopeful that there is a scope of works and this wall is indeed a nice touch in the interim. 

I agree, please don't get rid of the wall

3 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

Not a good time to visit Movieworld...

Just wait until after the April school holidays, when Rivals, Superman, WWF and probably Arkham are all out of action for at least a month. I guess Green Lantern will be the headline coaster! 

That said, I appreciate the park being so open about its maintenance plans so I can plan around this sort of thing, just feel bad for the guests who don't think to check before they visit.

• joz locked this topic