Dreamworld February Update 2020

13 hours ago, Levithian said:

If they are rough due to that, they were always rough. How much material do you think is in the track? Thickness wise i mean. 

It’s not so much that the track is getting worse it’s the aging of the trains wheels and the wobble room. By today’s standards the ride is quite rough and I think smoothing it out will extend its lifetime and popularity because it will be more reridable. 

Edited by TheChad

I think you are about to get pulled up on that. The wheels and bearings will be changed regularly, and the trains aren't that old from memory.

The track is from the days of hand calculated curves and older engineering techniques. So won't be as perfect in it's shape. Throw in years of existence and having several tonne of train flying around and it will be even less perfect. These days it's all CAD and laser measuring.

• Like 1

What I’m saying is those track transitions are rough (Always have been), then you add on general wear and tear of the trains and you have yourself a rough ride. By replacing these rough track designs with new smooth ones the ride will be much more pleasant, maybe even add some more force in a good way to the s-bend that was initially designed just to dodge buildings. 

7 hours ago, TheChad said:

It’s not so much that the track is getting worse it’s the aging of the trains wheels and the wobble room. By today’s standards the ride is quite rough and I think smoothing it out will extend its lifetime and popularity because it will be more reridable. 

Train wheels, axles and bearings would replaced yearly at a minimum. The amount of runout would be checked weekly, if not daily. 

I imagine trains are aligned every week too. So essentially, the train should be within spec at all times. 

So what wear are you talking about? Same with the track. How do you think it really wears? A few mm change in overall track gauge is pretty minor when the coaster rolling around with possibly 2 or 3 times that wear factor built into wheel clearances to make it round the track. 

Personally, i think the padding changes a bit as it compresses and doesnt feel so supple. Its probably only replaced when its damaged or torn. 

And technology gets better, track designs get smoother, the gap comparing new vs old is greater. I imagine the margins of error when producing track now is probably so small you can run trains tighter than ever before too. 15 or 20 years ago you were comparing with coasters that would be 30 or 40 years old by now if they were still in service. So something like cyclone/sidewinder/whatever was far smoother running and quieter compared to the thunderbolt.

Fast forward twenty years and it IS the thunderbolt. 

That and people get old. Harden up and get rattled about a bit like when teenagers. 😝

Haha I think there’s a miscommunication. The track has not and will never change 😂 I’m suggesting they replace the rough areas for new “precision” designed pieces because it will give a better ride, extend the trains longevity and is a much cheaper option than building an entirely new coaster. Wheels do have a huge impact on the smoothness of a coaster, that’s why B&Ms are smoother in USA/Europe than they are in China, the track isn’t different it’s the wheels. 

10 minutes ago, Levithian said:

Go for it. And id also like you to post with how you think the footings move and how thick the tubing is to cause these vast changes that werent already there when it was built.

I said, I don't want to go there with you.  <And> we would have to go through the whole footer debate first.  

2 hours ago, Adventures With JWorld said:

Repaint on Hot Wheels Sidewinder/Cylcone/Big Dipper/ Gold Coaster, whatever the hell this fine piece of Arrow Dynamics art is has begun

A69BE68A-7E69-45AF-BAA1-D99722984E83.thumb.jpeg.c72dedfba00a69462001b4680d33ba40.jpeg

F0051FBA-D6F3-4D9B-8210-1C77ACA0E0A4.thumb.jpeg.265ff7505bc8e6d810d3f6d333433b0a.jpegA925AD53-B90C-47A1-8E0D-78514CFC8D2C.thumb.jpeg.467fe216ba703f3c890c17b400441d32.jpeg164A85E4-90A3-480D-991F-2967638DBB5B.thumb.jpeg.df88f710166980d45bb488399862d202.jpeg2B6B1DA5-A39E-40DC-8590-24A643429B1E.thumb.jpeg.b30f4424bade614daaa2f30ea5f13655.jpeg

Light blue track and white supports. Looks so much better than Cyclone's old colours ever was even when new.

Edited by Baconjack

18 hours ago, Rivals said:

What if they rename it wipeout... it would fit better into ocean parade and pay respects to wipeout🤔

There are things that pay respects \ tribute to former attractions. Incorporating some theming or signage or similar into the new attraction that works with the concept is one. Having a twist on the name  - like beast \ son of beast, or colossus \ twisted colossus as examples - but these are similar attractions.

renaming an old ride the same as another, older and entirely different ride is akin to re-naming your 6 year old child the same name as your now-dead 8 year old child because you liked the 8 year-old's name better.

Its not paying respects. its just fucking weird.

Edited by AlexB
  • Like 3