If you ran DW......

Gazza

I had a crazy idea for GD, Canteliever seating. Instead of a space consuming 8 across, there would be a 4 across row of seats back to back with another, (Total of 8 riders) The seats would jut out perpindicular to the tower (so you would be side on to the tower). Having seats like this would enable around 4 lanes to run, Doubling capacity, a couple of the lanes could use stand up cars, giving a varied experience.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest problem with that is it's not actualy Catilever seating as you aren't supporting it from the other side. This puts all the stress on the connection of the car to the tower and as we know from X the result of this can be less than desirable... Actualy on that topic just how are the cars connected to the track...I mean they run on those rails but how is what would usualy be 'under wheels' achieved?

Good question.Gazza,It's a good idea,but in my opinion that's just too quriky for DW.Also,I'm not sure what you mean by four lanes.The tower,like any other tower,has four sides,one of which is occupied by TOT.So there would only be 3 possible lanes.On that topic,why does DW only use the south and north sides of the tower?And why do they say they they use the east and west sides?I'm sure that TOT faces west, so there cannot be a gondala on the same side.And if the West side did face west,how come It's parralel with you on the Freeway???

If I ran Dreamworld I would demolish every thing and rebuild the whole park.
If you did that you would go out of business very quickly and wouldn't have a chance to re-build the park. Do you think that demolition is free? Demolition is a very expensive exercise.
I would actually need at least a bilion dollars to continue runnign dreamworld and producing new rides and themed area every year. And then i would rename dreamworld to Utopia because it symbolises fun and everyone shares the euqal experience as everyone else and its a world of freedom.
Utopia. u•to•pi•a   - An impractical, idealistic scheme for social and political reform.
I think that about sums up Shifty's ideas for when he gains control of Macquarie Leisure. "The Bus is now leaving for Mount Utopia, NSW"

Good question.I'm not sure what you mean by four lanes.The tower,like any other tower,has four sides,one of which is occupied by TOT.So there would only be 3 possible lanes.
More than forur lanes would be possible, many freefall rides have something like 6 lanes. Such as this one :http://www.intaminworldwide.com/img/BILDER..._R/GIANT_DR.jpg The vehicles I had thought of would be a bit narrower so fitting in 4 would be possible. And are you sure you can get your bearings right? If the pacific highway runs north sout, nand the TOT runs parallel to it, then the TOTs vetical section is on the southern side. The GD tracks are either side, therefore they are on the east and west.

If you're going to the trouble to mess with Giant Drop, then I think simply getting twice the already poor capacity would be a waste of resources, especially given the scope of these changed - you'd be looking at an entirely new system more or less (it cost $12 million last time). Your cantilever design worries me too. You've got some worrying forces and moments happening with a car that juts out over two metres. The current system has riders backs very close to the rails for this very reason - Giant Drop style rides use a track which doesn't take too kindly to odd forces acting on it. Assume the furthest person is 2m out from the rail. The force equivalent would be twice what it would be if they were at the rails. Then throw in the 3.5Gs during braking, and you've got yourself what is the equivalent of 7x their mass. Someone that weighs 70kg is doing the same as what half a tonne would at the rails. Here's an idea I've been toying with for a few years now. It's as likely to happen as yours (that is to say, never :)), but I think it'd get the maximum potential out of the tower. Replace the two independent sides with a 3/4 (or maybe 4/5, 5/8 - whatever the maximum you could with TOT there) Gyro Drop style gondola. Obviously without the spin, but otherwise very similar. You'd be looking at in the area of 50+ riders. Giant Drop would go from one of the lower capacity rides at Dreamworld to perhaps the highest.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest newzealander

1.) Cyclone. Get a few more trains to increase capacity and enhance theming with more cows and covered areas with Special FX like wind etc. 2.) Giant Drop. Put a thing on the top (like Wonderland) which totally encloses riders and a floor rises up so feet are on. The pod would be extremly well themed to look way bigger and have lots of Lasers like Scooby doo, though you'd need a smoke machine to see them. The lasers would be scattered around and when a rider touch's (even if they don't) it will shout SECURITY BREACH, floor would open in sync with dropping begin. 3.) TOT. Retheme to Fusion Energy testing where riders will walk the queue themed to a Lab with strange ineractive experiments they can play with until boarding the craft. A short film will tell riders that the way to make fusion energy work is to use Human fear as an ingrediant to stimulate atoms. The host will explain his anger to ethics and a sliding panel will open to the track and you will hear evil laughhing as you take off. It will have a Hydraluc system to launch it to 220kph. in 1.7 seconds heheheh.

Yeah, Hi well first thing I'd do is buy a nice new woody, similar to the size of the Bush Beast. Australia needs another largeish woody and Dreamworld would be the best place to put it! where, well, I doubt that too many more BB seasons will run, so why not extend the park down there a bit, have it part of that Goldrush themed area. If there would be no wooden coaster, why not get a B&M sitting coaster, similar if not the same as Kumba. and stick that over where the Thunderbolt used to be, I dunno about the Volcano themeing, a huge red and yellow coaster would like kinda crap sticking out (I think), I'd say keep the colours of Kumba, and theme it as jungle, like Kumba, this'd fit in nicely with the Tiger Island theme, even if their not right next to each other (basically they are though right?) Red & Turquoise sticking out above the trees at Dreamworld would look pretty nice. As for everyone elses ideas, Ive never ridden the Giant Drop, because the line was too long for me to bother with to ride, however if the ride was long, Im betting that that means that the capacity isnt too good (as people have said), so my solution is to have another gondola on the side that is empty, even if it is smaller, I dont know what the catch with this gondola would be, perhaps they could run them all the same...As I've said, Ive never ridden it so I dont know about the differences bewteen the sides. Covering the TOT, would be silly, I loved whipping past the trees on the way up, so I didnt have a prob with that, even if it cant run in the rain, and as for the electricity and rain problem, thats no problem really, unless someone goes and touches the charged rails and magnets, but the again, what happens to the them is gonna happen to them with or without the rain Lastly, I rode Cyclone when it forst opened, having another train would be nice, but is it really needed?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, Well, this is my first post here so hi to all of ye:) My Theme park exp comes from spending many years as a member of WB's Movie World's Operations and Middle Management Team. MW aside, I very much grew up with Dreamworld having been a regular visitor of the Park for many years with an Annual Pass. This post is what caused me to join this website so expect my reply to be a pretty involved one. Here go's: Today, when I walk into the park through what was once a beautifully executed Main Street, I turn right to see a Giant Fibre Glass Wave, Lobster and enormous Ice Cream cone surrounded by a mash of Midways and Luna Park style thrills. Dreamworld has seen it's themes scattered in many differant directions over the last few years - Infact, no sooner does a new ride open that a new 'themed area' joins it. My ideas would be to bring the themes back to the size and style that the park was originally intended as by it's creator, John Longhurst.Themes and thrills in so many aspects have been poorly executed at the park for so many years. Today, with the pressure of 3 parks banded together against it, either they continue to work solely toward attracting the Teenage Thrill market or completely Re-Imagineer the place. My idea is to do just that, no matter what the cost so here's my two cents worth: #1 A "Tomorrowland" style area featuring futuristic thrills amidst other wordly styled rock would be great at replacing the currently dreadful looking "Ocean Parade" area including the new "Claw" ride- The old Thunderbolt site could extend this Theme with god knows what but could also easily fit such a Theme. #2 Mainstreet could be stylised to fit some kind of Eutopian appearance featuring elongated and fanciful buildings and characters (akin to the Emerald City in Wizard of OZ) IMAX could feature a spectacular 3D adventure featuring in theatre FX and motions. The Ford Cars ride would be gone and replaced by a bizarre transport system that would tour the central area aboard Hot air Balloons & the Giant Drop would be rethemed as some Crazy Inventor's sky ride! #3 Gold Rush Country is just perfect for DW. It would be great to see new rides expanding this theme as well as existing rides brought up to par. Technologically, we can do a lot better than that nowadays and with the right know how, the skies the limit! DW needs to move away from simply attracting a market that spends so little once through the gate. Why not build a "Haunted Shack" style Omnimover ride that would feature FX that surpassed MW's. The ride could be built in the Island that is surrounded by the Murray river cruise where the whole theme would spill over into the region. #4 Retain and expand on the whole "Nick Central" idea. Cartoon buildings and landscapes should be enhanced as well as new attractions added. Turn the old ToT entrance back around as it was and theme it to a particular cartoon character instead of an enormous skull (another example of dreadful theming!).. NOT HARD! & YES! THE LAUNCH! (speaking from exp & knowledge) I'm sorry but the ride could most positively work better in the rain if the run out was covered!!! In addition, decent Lighting FX etc as part of the launch and a well themed queue could really add to the WoW factor of this ride! #5) The Blue Lagoon is a cool theme but the land was cool back in the 1980's. Today, the Theme needs to be revisited. If we were to have an "Ocean Parade" in the Park, then let this be the spot to have it! The area does not have to be all about slides and is certainly not that anyway! Throw in or move a couple of midways and some walkthrough 'underwater' areas and you've got yourself a much more entertaining 'Blue Lagoon' #6) The animals of the Park should be nurtured and embraced as part of DW's uniqueness. My plan though would be to have them inhabiting the back half of the park together in a more central location rather than having them scattered all over the place. Here, the Park's diverse array of wildlife would inhabit the brand new Jungle like, 'Outpost' themed area Well, dat should about do me:) I'm sure you all agree the kind of potential a place like this has if only someone took such DREAMS and turned them into REALITY

1. dont cover up TOT. its good as it is, isn't feasible to do so, and wouldnt work anyway. 2. add wipeout to blue lagoon, retheme and stir vigorously. 3. keep model T, but move it to AWE and reuse the land it currently occupies to retheme the area to suit TOT and GD 4. add some new special effects to the log flume. 5. RETHEME the non-ride areas of the park, as Mickey D says, it has become somewhat dilapidated, and the theme is lost. DW is not an amusement park, it is a THEME park so get some THEME 6. spend the money to add another train to Cyclone. capacity issues would be severely reduced. for those who say that it would close the ride if one of the trains broke down... what if the train breaks now? CLOSED... i have been on many dual-trained coasters in my time, and experience tells me its better with two than one. if one train is broken, you can lift the cars off overnight and still have your ride functioning at reduced capacity while you fix the other one. it would also reduce wear on the trains, as you can cycle them (like with bush beast) where you would run one train for say... a week, and then switch them. of course having a switchback or storage area for the second train would be a help but it wouldn't be necessary... a brake in the straightaway before the turnaround would be sufficient. i personally think that DW could benefit in the future from a fully enclosed dark coaster.... something like SDSC or space mountain from WDL but the theming would need to be WAYYYYYYYY disney in skill and ability. SDSC is a great ride but its theming doesnt compare to WDL's space mountain.

Some of the ideas being thrown around here are a bit questionable. Particularly the one about turning the ToT skull back around and having it as part of Nick Central. I don't think ToT suits a kiddies area. But I think overall you guys have the right idea and that is that Dreamworld needs to focus more on theming. Just about everyone agrees on this point. No one wants a mish mash of attractions scattered everywhere. It's time they made some clear boundaries and really picked the theming up a notch or two. It doesn't look like they are heading in this direction though by plonking 'The Claw' in the middle of Main Street/Ocean Parade

Funny, I'd like to see them go the absolute other direction from what most of you want. I don't want to see Dreamworld attempt to pull off immersive theming, Disney style. I certainly don't want to see Dreamworld try and reinvent itself as a Magic Kingdom style park, simply because Dreamworld really don't have the financial, technical or creative resources. Really, a step should be taken back by Dreamworld. They should stop trying to theme rides, and go for just making them look good - from off and on the ride. Spend the money you'd otherwise spend on theming and go out and hire an architect to design a nice building for a change. Fully landscape the surroundings, plant trees around the queue that provide natural shade. Nick Central was a step in the right direction. The theming took a step back (though the Nickelodeon "feel" is definitely there), and instead there is a really nice looking area. I can't say Tower of Terror, Giant Drop or Cyclone's queues are much fun to be in with most things broken or in a state of disrepair. Disney are the masters of theming. Their lands and attractions can tell a story without actually telling it. It's not force-fed theming like Dreamworld tries to do. I think Dreamworld would look and feel much nicer if they stopped trying to make things meaningful and justify fun thrill rides, and just took that step back; build the rides and just make them look nice. People don't go to Dreamworld for intricately themed rides and attractions - Movie World's the park for that - so why do they keep trying to do it this way?