Hot Wheels Sidewinder Refurbishment

Tin Foil Hat

Great to see it finally receiving a fresh coat of paint. But it definitely doesn’t rule out that name. Maybe the tracks colour will alternate between yellow and blue? Considering four different versions of the Gold Coaster name have been listed for trademarking, it’s pretty much confirmed at this stage, that will be its new name

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ejpdtd said:

Blue track and supports look pretty gross imo, hopefully, they do the alternating blue and gold as @themagician suggested, that would look nice and I agree would fit into Gold Coaster name, like sand and beaches. 

Supports are being painted white :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, coasterdude44 said:

Have they ever actually considered repainting the whole thing to fit the Hot Wheels theme

Well no, this rename/rebranding is occurring because the contract with Mattel has assumedly expired (the coaster was simply called sidewinder in recent announcements alluding to this fact) and DW are trying to wash their hands of the Motorsports area.

Given the HWSW retheme was done at a time when DW didn't care about their park appearance and parks weren't legally obligated to repaint their rides every ten years, presumably to save a few bucks they didn't bother to repaint the coaster track and supports, and the old Cyclone colours kind of look like Hot Wheels playsets so I guess its fine.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

Well no, this rename/rebranding is occurring because the contract with Mattel has assumedly expired (the coaster was simply called sidewinder in recent announcements alluding to this fact) and DW are trying to wash their hands of the Motorsports area.

Given the HWSW retheme was done at a time when DW didn't care about their park appearance and parks weren't legally obligated to repaint their rides every ten years, presumably to save a few bucks they didn't bother to repaint the coaster track and supports, and the old Cyclone colours kind of look like Hot Wheels playsets so I guess its fine.

Thanks Knuckles 

16 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

Supports are being painted white :)

Blue and white would be a fresh looking combo

• Like 2

I’m so excited for the new paint job!!  Gunna look so fresh!!  
Now that the Hot Wheels theme is now no more, I’m assuming there will be new trains??  

I’m excited to see the completed refurbishment,   There’s just something about this Classic Arrow coaster that I love. Can’t wait to ride it again at the end of the year, assuming they get it back up and running by then :)  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Flynn_Smith said:

I think he means the colour of the trains?

Why would you think that?

FWIW I don't really rate the all cars different colours thing going on. I get it for the theme of toy cars and it's not the absolute worst out there, but I don't really rate it. I'd be pleased if they did give the train a consistent colour scheme, but it doesn't massively matter to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zacsta_1997 said:

Now that the Hot Wheels theme is now no more, I’m assuming there will be new trains??  

The current Vekoma rolling stock is under 5 years old, in good shape and runs perfectly fine. Why even bother unless DW suddenly want to spend the money buying new Arrow style trains from Sunkid with lap bars (picture below), an upgrade that is totally unnecessary. I don't have many problems with the vest restraints though. I'd take them over the old trains any day. 

image.thumb.png.1c165137cb09d358b7debea9fe180c59.png

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

I do like the Vest Restraints, lap bars would be interesting but I feel you’ll be whipped from side to side, at least the vest restraints hold you down. But yeah I meant the look of the trains being toy cars I doubt it will fit in for the ride being hot wheels cars.  If their repainting the track I’m hoping they will redo the train also to make it fit in with the new colour scheme.  I’m not sure.  
I guess we shall wait and see what happens.  

• 2 weeks later...