Hot Wheels Sidewinder Refurbishment

Tin Foil Hat

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, themagician said:

The ‘Hot Wheels’ has been removed from the rides page

FD2562DD-5533-499E-BFD3-FDAAE989DE7B.thumb.jpeg.7007dd98410b8a818fc795514ed1e6b1.jpeg

11 minutes ago, gavinfulikes said:

'Sidewinder' is also a species of rattlesnake.

I doubt the final name will be Sidewinder somehow. Their contract may have only just run out with Hotwheels, given the removal of the name. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 22/05/2020 at 7:03 PM, Prequel said:

I actually really miss the name Cyclone, its still the name i call the ride i suppose.

What about Big Dipper? Crazy neighbors screaming in their noses into a copy of the ride! Going, "THE NOISE" "PLEASE MR BLOOD, HELP US" "THE BIG DIPPER, AND THE MONORAIL ARE THE MOST OFFENSIVE STRUCTURE, TO EYESAW OUR CITY, SINCE THE CAHILL EXPRESSWAY COASTED OF SYDNEY HARBOR" "MY EYES ARE BOILING" "MR DUCK, TEAR DOWN THIS PARK" "I FEEL I AM NOT ALONE" "DEMOLISH THE SPRITES OR WHATEVER THE NAME IS"! No roller coaster like The Big Dipper has existed in Sydney, or in NSW since!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vman4103 said:

Speaking of the early days of Sidewinder/Cyclone/Big Dipper/Whateverthehellitsgonnabecallednow, I finally managed to find footage of the coaster in action at Luna Park. I have to say, having that view while riding is pretty freakin' cool!

Honestly looking at some of the photos of the in progress painting, it reminds me of the old Big Dipper colours with the old yellow track and the repainted white supports.

While I never rode it in Sydney, I'd imagine seeing that view of the bridge and Lavender Bay is a lot better than what you see at the current location - the DW parking lot and Buzzsaw to the right. Really added to the charm of the ride, as mediocre as the ride may be. In hindsight though its a wonder how they got away with building a coaster that tall and large.

53 minutes ago, djrappa said:

This is the problem with just taking a perfectly designed terrain coaster and just plonking it in a car park. One of the stupidest thing Dreamworld of old did with all the land they had available. 

At the time though I think everyone was pretty happy that the coaster wasn't going to be scrapped, since most of us hadn't had the chance to ride it.

And despite not really fitting the site, the bargain for a full sized coaster available immediately would be too good to pass up.

This all said, would you even call it a terrain coaster?

https://rcdb.com/1141.htm#p=3629

It seemed like it was mostly at the bottom of the cliff and didn't really use the cliff to have a drop over the edge like this:

https://rcdb.com/11663.htm#p=99507

Edit: Literally never noticed  till now the faux mountain facade at the front of the ride. Impressive stuff.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Vman4103 said:

Speaking of the early days of Sidewinder/Cyclone/Big Dipper/Whateverthehellitsgonnabecallednow, I finally managed to find footage of the coaster in action at Luna Park. I have to say, having that view while riding is pretty freakin' cool!

That footage has been around for a long time. It was this exact footage that was used on a simulator in the park for those not wanting to take on the Cyclone. Given the fact, that back in the day film was expensive etc it is great to actually have this online.

Apart from the scenery change to its current location, you get the first brake along with the second and the station was set up properly. Load one side and unload the other. Also, Mr Malony & Des can be seen to the RHS at the train comes back into the station.

Gazza is right, it was a good decision for them to get it, as Thunderbolt had such limited time left at that point, so they needed something, plus it was better that than it go to scrap.

The mistake was that Dreamworld relied on it as its main, signature coaster for 20+ years. Yes they built Motocoaster, yes they built Buzzsaw, but I don’t know about you, I still see the Cyclone as the parks signature coaster, until ofcourse the new orange coaster is installed.