Disney CEO Bob Iger steps down, replaced by Bob Chapek

cheski

So it has been announced in the last 24 hours that Bob Iger has stepped down as Disney CEO, being replaced by Bob Chapek who had been chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. Iger is to remain at Disney as an executive chairman till the end of his contract (expiring end of 2021); focusing on creative content within the company. 

Chapek will take control of day-to-day operations of the business, with Iger acting as a mentor to Chapek during this transition. 

Iger worked for the company for 27 years, with 15 being at the helm of Disney. During his time as CEO, he was involved in the acquisition of Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilms, 20th Century Fox, and launching Disney Plus. 

News article talking about this announcement is linked below:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/25/21153317/bob-iger-disney-ceo-steps-down-chapek-kevin-mayer-parks-products-succession

I would like to gauge parkz members reaction to the news, and how they believe Chapek will impact/shape Disney theme parks globally. 

Reading several other online forums (i.e. micechat, reddit), many share a negative opinion about Chapek, stating that he has a focus on pushing IP's within parks rather than creating original experiences. According to these forums, he has also been responsible for implementing demand pricing at the Disney Parks, reducing the range of park merchandise, reducing live entertainment, cheaply re-skinning Pixar Pier, GotG ride (previously Hollywood Tower), and cutting budgets to the Avatar and Galaxy's Edges lands which has resulted in a shortened navi river ride, and less interactivity at each of the lands respectively. 

In my opinion, its hard to know with a lot of the decisions, how much input was from Chapek himself, and how much was passed down onto him by Iger. 

I respect that Disney is a business, though I wonder if Chapek will turn the Disney Parks into IP shopping malls and focus the rides on the IP's rather than creating genuine and immersive experiences. 

Edited by cheski

Many of the qualities being spruiked about Chapek are similar to the qualities shown by Eisner after the death of Frank Wells - but he's well regarded as the guy that saved Disney from bankruptcy and hostile takeovers.

Let's face it - Chapek is in the role because the shareholders like what he's doing - because what he's doing saves money, which ultimately goes to the shareholders.

I've heard some people say his short term gains will hurt the company long term, as it's reducing the quality of 'the show', which is what people flock to Disney for.

The flip side of this is that cuts to navi, GE, GotG, Pixar Pier, the as-yet-to-be-fixed Yeti... - there have been many recent examples of Disney delivering a reduced standard. At the same time, they've increased prices, and attendance has remained 'about the same'.

What do we learn from that? We learn that the Brand has built enough of a reputation that people will keep coming back, even with a lower quality product.... and this tells the shareholders and the executives that they can afford to keep being cheap.

Until people vote with their wallets about the reduced standards, Disney products across the board will continue to be Chapek'd.

Of course, the other theory, is with such big successes in prior years, with the opening of major properties both in the parks division and movie divisions, and the launch of their streaming services and so on and so on, there's not alot slated for this year - so returns to investors this year are likely to be slim. Disney+ is apparently making a loss, Corona has shut down both Hong Kong and Shanghai Parks, and both Tokyo parks are at risk too - this year is looking to be a disaster, and perhaps Iger stepped aside in order to avoid the mud that would stick to the top job.

I don't particularly believe in this theory - Chapek has been groomed for the top job for too long for him to be a simple 'fall guy'... but at the end of the day, all we can do is wait...

• Like 2

What I’ve heard about this new guy is he isn’t good. If something isn’t making money or getting people’s attention, it will be removed or changed, no matter how iconic or important that thing may be. He’s all about that money. I was very disappointed to hear the new that Iger was stepping down, even though we knew it was coming. He has done some iconic things and I hope it doesn’t go down hill from here. I would say for the next couple of years we will be alright because most of things things are already planned or underway. But from say 2023-25, that’s when the Chapek wave will kick in.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, themagician said:

If something isn’t making money or getting people’s attention, it will be removed or changed, no matter how iconic or important that thing may be

As much as many people think Nostalgia is valuable - Disney is a business. if it stops making money, its gone.

And when you combine that with people still taking their wallet on vacation year after year, despite closing or changing some 'classics'...well.... why would you keep something that wasn't profitable?

I've seen a lot of Chapek hate on reddit recently, mostly complaining about how 'he made the parks worse'. But in my opinion, he still brought some of the most incredible things to the parks, Pandora, GE, Toy Story Land, New Epcot. Which while they aren't exactly as the concept, they have still come to the parks and are still plussing, just done so in a budget that is achievable. I think he is the logical successor and am very excited to see what else he brings in the future. 

• 1 year later...

The changes continue at Disney with the announcement this morning that free fast-passes are no more (quiet sad really) and the Disney forums are blowing up about it. 

fast pass, max pass etc are all gone and replaced with a per day Lightning Lane pass which covers the majority of the previous fast pass rides at $20pp per day for DL and $15 for WDW. Radiator springs won’t be included and will be an additional single entry fast access flexible price based upon demand etc as will the seven dwarfs ride. 

image.thumb.png.d2d96b4bbd44b04cc20a3d4909652e24.png

This has been a long time coming and a lot of US-based Disney Insiders have said that the writing has been on the wall since Chapek moved in. The really disappointing thing is that insiders have stated that revenue is pretty much the only metric that the US-based or operated theme parks care about moving forward. If they roll this out and money increases but guest satisfaction goes down, then they wont care unless that causes a noticeable dip in their income which means that if you don't like these changes then you really need to talk with your wallet here folks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dom said:

if you don't like these changes then you really need to talk with your wallet here folks. 

The brand is too successful, and addictive - they've got locals that have grown up having a pass virtually since they were born, who visit every day just because. They've got passholders whose entire income is generated from being a personal shopper for exclusive merchandise. 

Disney broke the labour strike. they charge THOUSANDS for full-service annual passes. Their basic hotels are an OBSCENE price simply because of proximity - missing key features once considered standard - they've pared back every flourish and ribbon - and yet people still come. people still pay. 

So long as they keep doing that (and this is much the same explanation for many of our local park lamentations also), they'll continue to cut and slash and burn and toss 'the show' in favour of 'the buck' because shareholders only care about how big their dividend is. Guest happiness only matters if Shareholder Happiness is low.

That's the paradox of Disney Theme Parks. We will kick and scream and moan about all the changes and ridiculous right up to the ticket gate. People have been complaining about the company for decades but consistently they see more guests and more profits. The problem for them was that it was a frog in hot water situation where if they changed things too quickly between years then people would jump out of the parks, but post-pandemic they can set whatever temperature they want under the guise of COVID and people are happy to be boiled. 

1 minute ago, New display name said:

Wasn't the free fastpast really a virtual queue?

Well yes, but actually no. It was basically a 'save my spot in line' system where you could go the attraction and get a ticket to return once your time arrived. So say if Space Mountain had an hour wait, you could get a ticket for roughly an hours time depending on demand and other factors. The difference was that FastPass skipped a majority of the queue, but on average you'd still wait in a line for roughly 10-15 minutes because it merged with stand-by at a certain point instead of being a front of the line pass.

27 minutes ago, Dom said:

It was basically a 'save my spot in line' system 

A virtual queue.👍

From what Disney have released the new system looks like this .

You download the new free app Disney Genie.

You use the app to create your best Disney day. (Disney spin)

The app includes a personalised itinerary feature that will map out an entire day.  From specific attractions, foodie experiences and entertainment.

Attached to the app is “Lightning Lane”.

FASTPAST

With “Lightning Lane” you can choose the next available time to arrive at a variety of attractions and experiences using the “Lightning Lane” entrance. 

5 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

$20pp per day for DL and $15 for WDW. Radiator springs won’t be included and will be an additional single entry fast access flexible price based upon demand etc as will the seven dwarfs ride. 

INDIVIDUAL PASS

The parks will also offer “individual attraction selections,” which let you “schedule a time to arrive at up to two highly demanded attractions each day using the Lightning Lane entrance. If you use the individual attraction selections, you will pay for each attraction separately.  (Pricing for this will vary by date, attraction, and park and will be announced closer to launch).

51 minutes ago, Dom said:

That's the paradox of Disney Theme Parks. We will kick and scream and moan about all the changes and ridiculous right up to the ticket gate. People have been complaining about the company for decades but consistently they see more guests and more profits. The problem for them was that it was a frog in hot water situation where if they changed things too quickly between years then people would jump out of the parks, but post-pandemic they can set whatever temperature they want under the guise of COVID and people are happy to be boiled. 

Well yes, but actually no. It was basically a 'save my spot in line' system where you could go the attraction and get a ticket to return once your time arrived. So say if Space Mountain had an hour wait, you could get a ticket for roughly an hours time depending on demand and other factors. The difference was that FastPass skipped a majority of the queue, but on average you'd still wait in a line for roughly 10-15 minutes because it merged with stand-by at a certain point instead of being a front of the line pass.

Note to everyone: go to the Tokyo Disney Resort instead. It's better in every way.

• Like 2

Disney is in a weird position where they charge a lot and nickel and dime a bit, but at the same time the attractions themselves, the food, the merch are all really good and ARE getting better so people put up with it.

In effect they have put prices up $20 because how else can you really enjoy your day now.

You HAD to play the game and use FP to enjoy Disney, now that’s paywalled.

Yeah I personally hate the loss of spontaneity. If the line is 4 hours for a new E ticket, I can wait it because at least its my call to do that (and to be honest ive spent 15 hours on a plane to even get there so perspective people) and can prioritise it other things later in the day.

Like if I went to DL now, I would not stay mad if I had to miss space Mountain and Indy for lack of time, to get on Rise of the Resistance….#1 priority is riding new/better/innovative rides.

But boarding groups and over reliance on Virtual queues muck with that, because if slots run out you are stuck riding stuff you don’t care as much about and If I knew that was going to happen I would go elsewhere and come another time.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gazza said:

In effect they have put prices up $20 because how else can you really enjoy your day now.

What's the bet that the lightning lane passes aren't unlimited, and they cap it based on attendance, a bit like village's capped system?

26 minutes ago, Gazza said:

because if slots run out you are stuck

^

The few times I've used Maxpass across multiple times of the year it was great, could essentially be ready to ride any attraction in the time it took you to walk over to it, but it was the inclusion of rides such as Space Mountain, Radiator Springs racer etc that made it worth the $10-15 a day that we paid.

It looks like genie will nudge you towards certain attractions at certains time of the day but it's not going to force you to do them you can still pick what you want to use your Genie+ benefit of Lightning Lane on (God the naming is almost as bad as Fastpass + as part of My Disney Experience). The big thing is going to be availability, will it still be 75% of attraction capacity dedicated to them? If so it seems buying it would be able to get on more of the non-headliners than you could with FP+ because if even one guest doesn't buy it that's less than the amount that had FP+.

For something they clearly want to launch within the next 6 weeks before the 50th there's so many questions still up in the air and so many secrets up Mr Chapeks sleeve. Even stuff like only being able to have 2 per day of the single use passes for the premium attractions seems strange in a Chapek era. Maybe the ridiculousness of the Paris system was to get people to expect the worst for the US based parks and now go "Eh could be worse" when they announced this.