Coronavirus and theme parks

For those who still think this is no different to the flu -

https://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/health/health-news/covid19-vs-the-flu-whats-the-difference/news-story/63ca94a2ad90f19cc036eddea0607265

There are some statistics in here - Flu mortality is listed as 0.1% vs. Covid 3.5%. Transmission rates are also listed for Flu (1.3 people infected for each infected person) vs Covid (stated as "double" the flu, but could be anywhere between 2-3 - so i've used 2.6).

image.thumb.png.0a22f77c4ac6f64d583cb325ac49e8fa.png

To make it a little easier to see, i've coloured the first death in yellow.

It takes 5 transmission steps for corona to kill. It takes 28 steps for the flu.

The current dashboard puts the number of confirmed cases at 153,648 and the number of deaths at 5746 - but we also know that the confirmed cases is inaccurate because it doesn't count those who are awaiting test results or haven't been tested. The deaths however are a better indicator because they're usually reported a lot quicker.

That puts us somewhere in the middle of step 13 or 14. We're only halfway through the steps it requires for the flu to get its first kill and there's already close to 6000 dead.

If you think corona is no worse than the flu, you need to read more.

• Like 1

• Richard changed the title to Coronavirus and theme parks
19 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Yay statistics 

Id rather statistics convey the reality of what we're dealing with, so those who don't read or watch the news have at least some idea of why these steps are necessary, as opposed to...

On 13/03/2020 at 2:40 PM, Original said:

The hysteria is ridiculous and now with everything being cancelled and shut I think is over the top. 
It’s just the flu, have good hygiene and like you normally would with the flu, stay home and get better.

From ranging waters Facebook page:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Following the advice provided by the Chief Medical Officer and NSW Health that non-essential mass public gatherings of 500 people be cancelled, Raging Waters Sydney will be closed from 16 March 2020.

This decision has been made as a preventive measure to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 to help keep you, our team members, and our communities safe and healthy.

This will mean the current season will end 2 weeks earlier than the scheduled date of 29 March 2020.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this may cause, however the safety of our guests and staff is our number 1 priority. We appreciate everyone’s understanding and cooperation in this matter.

For Guests with unused season passes and day tickets, these will be valid for our 2020/21 season scheduled to commence in October 2020. Please contact our Guest Services Team on 13 96 97 or email guestservices@ragingwaterssydney.com.au for assistance in transferring these to next season. We value each of our guests and we look forward to welcoming you back next season.

https://www.facebook.com/512833322076077/posts/5049550098404354/?sfnsn=

Edited by TomiJ

Mate, we already have treatment for mental health, and there are many examples of financial assistance being provided with more rumoured to be on the way.

There's no treatment currently for this virus. So let's contain it until we know more about it, hey?

Everyone is feeling this in some way right now. Allowances are going to be made. As callous as it is to say, if someone can't weather a 2 week out of work period, they've probably over-extended themselves. And if it goes beyond two weeks, then its obviously more serious than a fucking flu, isn't it?

• Like 2

Because that treatment always works so well doesn't it? Or the mental health for bushfire victims that's already been scaled back?

The ASX lost $162 billion in one day. Don't think the government financial assistance can fix all that?! And I'm talking about a 2 week shutdown. I'm talking about a full blown recession that we're accelerating. The economy was on a knife's edge before, this will not end good, there are studies about the death toll from the GFC and we're seeing falls worse than that. Cars, marketing, retail, dining, entertainment just to name a few were already struggling. With all these big events cancelled what about the knock on effect it has to businesses that relied on them. 

The Royal Easter Show has asked for a hand out, the NRL has (and pretty much been knocked back) and before you say NRL are big and they should have planned for this better? Sure, but what about the small business around them that rely on them? The players that have mortgages... The list goes on. Not every industry or business can get a hand out and that's where the mental strain comes into effect. 

I didn't say we shouldn't be doing anything, we should be doing plenty, especially to help protect the elderly and those with health risks that make them more susceptible. Those people should isolate, nursing homes should lock down, if you have the cold or normal flu, stay away from people. I just think right now we've gone too far to one extreme to make people happy and feel safe, be damned with the other consequences, we'll blame them on Corona and put a band aid over it and make it look like we're doing something about that too. 

5 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Suicide isn’t a virus though, completely different circumstances.

No it's not a virus, but the two are linked here. 

Events have to be canceled to prevent it spreading, what do you want them to do. Not act and let it spread so businesses can continue operating? Than we have hospitals packed with sick patients, people dying everywhere, lack of resources to support society. You aren’t being logical, sometimes negative consequences stem from preventative measures, but that’s life. The government have rolled out a package for smaller business to continue. Whether you think it is sufficient is up to you. But you can’t get angry that a park like Disneyland closed when so many people gather there in tight spaces.

I am being logical, the negative consequences are massive. Since when has a government package ever been enough in times of financial crisis?

Again, I didn't say, not act, I just said don't go to the over the top extremes they are now. 

Look at the end of the day you'll never change my opinion that the world has gone mad, and the hysteria is being pushed to the extreme and that this is actually doing us more harm than good and is leading us in the end to a higher death toll than we could end up with.

Obviously you'll never change your opinion that this is the right thing to do, be damed of the other consequences, even if they end up having a more negative impact on you in the future than this virus had. So, I'm just going to leave it there, and at the end of this, however long from now, one of us get to say "I was right". 

From the 18th all of H2O Zone is closed as well as mammoth falls 

Parts of Castaway Bay are closed 

And maintenances heavily extended 

9A7B5B32-41FF-4ABA-8138-DEED4FF856C1.thumb.jpeg.9f29feb845f700ca4a12d944158df455.jpeg

at this point they should seriously just close. Because nearly all of WnW is closed and 5 major attractions at MW are closed 

Id expect us to see DW announce changes tomorrow too

Edited by themagician
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, colonelbmx said:

i'd say park attendance has dropped dramatically with everyone freaking out about coronavirus sp they're dropping staff off to reduce running costs. 

So why not just close for the time being. When half the park is closed, people won’t want to be paying full price anyways 

• Like 1

I can't believe our parks haven't closed yet.
This is a preventable illness that has a high fatality rate, I'm all for the drastic measures taken now to try and save 3% of the population. 
I'm not in a danger bracket of people, but the fact hospital beds run out and death rates spike is scary to think about for the elderly.
I'm also hoping we get on top of it now so I can still trip to WDW in September :)

Edited by ejpdtd
  • Like 2

Another one bites the dust: Adventure World

Given the ever-changing nature of this current health crisis and the associated Government advice, we have made the decision for now to temporarily suspend operation of the Park.

It is our intention that with time and more detail from the State & Federal Governments, Adventure World will be able to re-open before the end of this Season.

Looks like they're planning to re-open before the 27th of April. Time will tell, though.

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 11.58.33 pm.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

Given the ever-changing nature of this current health crisis and the associated Government advice, we have made the decision for now to temporarily suspend operation of the Park.

It is our intention that with time and more detail from the State & Federal Governments, Adventure World will be able to re-open before the end of this Season.

Looks like they're planning to re-open before the 27th of April. Time will tell, though.

I hope they re open before the season closes only got to go there 53 times. How will my platinum pass pay itself of in 3 visits? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

Australia's best run theme park leading the way again.

• Like 3