Coronavirus and theme parks

As mentioned, Dreamworld is closed. Annual pass validity for all pass holders will be extended past their current expiry date by the amount of temporary closure days. Dreamworld have also taken an extra step than VRTP and have allowed an additional 1 month free of charge for any annual pass holder. 

Edited by Flynn_Smith
Adding comments
  • Like 1

On 21/03/2020 at 9:00 PM, westical said:

no no no no no no no no no no no

no

Sorry but yes. I am not 12 and probably a  hell of a lot closer to retirement than most of you, so take that as a compliment.

I have direct access to a workplace financial advisor who suggested it was best, given my personal circumstances and the way my fund was set up (high risk, high return).

My fund would have kept eating away at itself waaay faster than the contributions were going in. I simply moved it over to a conservative (low risk) program to ride out the storm before changing things again.

30 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Good old VRTP membership holders being looked after as always...

Monthly payments will continue whilst park is closed and upon re-opening we will receive a e-gift card for the amount paid during closure...

Yeah I thought cheeky bastards, I could just cancel mine anytime, but for $24 a month I'll use at as a forced savings plan to spend on some fun upcharge whenever that next time comes.

Dark times all round people. You would be pretty heartless not to feel for everyone suffering out there right now, and it's going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better. Directly & indirectly, we are all in this together and up to everyone to do their bit in looking after one another.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

Monthly payments will continue whilst park is closed and upon re-opening we will receive a e-gift card for the amount paid during closure...

VRTP is trying to do make membership holders a bridge loan? or is their system just too confusing that it would be a pain to text all membership holders to stop automatic payments until further notice?

7 hours ago, Rexillium said:

VRTP is trying to do make membership holders a bridge loan? or is their system just too confusing that it would be a pain to text all membership holders to stop automatic payments until further notice?

DW used the same system with their memberships and when they closed after the incident, they stopped all payments 

• Like 1

On 21/03/2020 at 9:00 PM, westical said:

no no no no no no no no no no no

no

Oh Mama Mia, Mama Mia....

9 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Uhh..

8 hours ago, Rexillium said:

The second one. Definitely the second one. When they were more prolific, we heard nothing but problems with the direct debit provider - people being turned away at the gate and having to call the company to have something sorted out delaying their entry into the park. Debit Success i think?

As someone who has just dealt with a direct debit stuff up (with a different provider for a different reason) that first started at more than $1000 overdue payable immediately, and after I paid in full, then realising it shouldn't have been $1000, so they agreed to refund $200 and stop the next month's payment, but instead of stopping the next month's payment, they took it twice, so then they ended up owing me close to $500, and after chasing them for a week to get it refunded, the refund amount was wrong.

So no, direct debit set ups are best left alone - especially with a provider that has shown an inability to prevent frequent issues.

I hadn't seen the e-gift card news @Brad2912 so thanks for letting us know.

• Like 1

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/sales-delivery/non-delivery-of-products-services#failure-to-supply-a-product-or-service

Suggests that they shouldn't be taking the money. Gyms are in the same boat right now.

Our kids swim school tried this trick over Christmas "we'll take your money, and give you make up lessons for the lessons that aren't operating over Christmas". One of the mum's researched, rang them up, next week we all got forms to apply for the hold to be made.

2 hours ago, red dragin said:

Suggests that they shouldn't be taking the money

There's probably a difference between periodic payments towards what is technically an 'annual pass' versus a swim school that has a price per lesson or pack of lessons that has a quantifiable value per lesson.

The parks don't really owe anything to anyone for being unable to operate - force majeure rules would come into it. I think we saw it with Disney when they first closed the US parks they made no mention of extending APs, and then after being flooded with questions by passholes, they announced they would extend... and it seems to be the status quo.

At least Dreamworld were up front about what they would do. I still haven't gotten any info from Village through any medium, without seeking it myself.

I think its at least arguable that the parks aren't obligated, but its certainly a goodwill gesture that should help them avoid any ACCC related claims - whether or not they would have merit, or whether or not they'd be successful. An extra month on an expiry date, for example - is minimal cost on the balance sheet if you get the money a month later, but is great goodwill.

21 hours ago, MickeyD said:

Sorry but yes. I am not 12 and probably a  hell of a lot closer to retirement than most of you, so take that as a compliment.

You’re 45. That’s not close to retirement, unless you plan on retiring at 50. 

Anyway, you didn’t say anything about age when you suggested people do it. Seek independent financial advice before messing with super investment options. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, themagician said:

AOS have said at this stage shows will recommence on April 14. An update will be provided on March 31.

I definitely don’t think shows will be starting up then. I’d expect in another couple months 

If there's one thing they could do for their casual staff, it's offer some modicum of stability right now. Telling them to expect to be back at work in a few weeks time -- when it's all but certain they won't be -- seems grossly irresponsible when people are scrambling for temporary work or welfare support.

• Like 4