Coronavirus and theme parks

38 minutes ago, MickeyD said:

^ I just got that email too. Perhaps a response from a lot of pissed off ppl threatening to cancel memberships unless they were suspended?

I would say that is the case, it was a stupid decision to begin with considering Debit Success had no issues pausing my Dreamworld membership when they were closed.

In other news...

In addition to hosting a wedding, Australia Zoo remains open for business in these "avoid non essential travel" times. 🤔 

https://www.australiazoo.com.au/visit-us/zoo-update/

Edited by Jordan M.

12 minutes ago, Jordan M. said:

In other news...

In addition to hosting a wedding, Australia Zoo remains open for business in these "avoid non essential travel" times. 🤔 

Unbelievable.

Based on such decisions I guess "Mom" thinks the World of Trump. Personally, I think she needs her batteries changing.

44 minutes ago, Jordan M. said:

I would say that is the case, it was a stupid decision to begin with considering Debit Success had no issues pausing my Dreamworld membership when they were closed.

In other news...

What are you talking about? They have closed.

6 minutes ago, Flynn_Smith said:

What are you talking about? They have closed.

Websites can change... They were open today, and when I originally posted the website clearly stated they were still operating. They have only just added the new temporary closure banner, the page I linked to (and is still currently accessible on that link) is now quoted below, as is the new statement. 

Australia Zoo is Open

At Australia Zoo, our commitment to the health and wellbeing of our guests, team members, animals and the larger community is of the utmost priority.

While Australia Zoo is deemed a low-risk location due to being outdoors, we are following all advice provided by government and health agencies, as well as taking steps to further ensure the safety of the community. Our guest experience predominantly entails movement through large, open-air open spaces. We are carefully monitoring the situation and are in regular contact with health agencies for advice on best practice procedures.

Here are some of the steps we’re taking to keep our guests, team members, animals healthy:

• Australia Zoo is 110-acres, making social distancing easy to achieve.
  • Spacing out seating throughout outdoor dining areas.
  • Altered animal encounters and demonstrations to limit contact between keepers, guests and animals.
  • Frequent messaging about the importance of social distancing.
  • We have increased the number of hand sanitizer stations throughout the zoo.
  • Increasing the cleaning and disinfection frequency of all areas.
  • Have installed additional hygiene signage and are providing information about best hygiene practices and illness prevention.
  • We have trained first aid staff to provide health advice to visitors.

For decades, Australia Zoo have fought against the consumptive use of wildlife, believed to be the origin of COVID-19.

Due to social distancing protocols, some of Australia Zoo’s experiences may be suspended. If you have visited overseas in the past 14 days, or you are feeling unwell, please refrain from visiting Australia Zoo at this time.

Australia Zoo would like to thank all our guests for their continued support as we all do our part ensuring the health and safety of the global community.”

Crikey! We’re temporarily closed! Australia Zoo has made the difficult decision to temporarily close to help combat COVID-19. At Australia Zoo, our commitment to the health and wellbeing of our guests, team members, animals and the larger community is of the utmost priority.

Edited by Jordan M.

11 hours ago, AlexB said:

Awww. I was looking forward to my enforced theme parks savings plan!

Either way that's 1 less bill for me to worry about right now - albeit a tinsy one.  😁 

Especially in that I'm not wasting my money on overpriced shit like Foxtel.

Edited by MickeyD
  • Like 2

Complaining that you pay for foxtel and others now get it for free would be like me complaining I earns my Qantas status this year and now they’ve given it to others without. 

Adding a benefit for one doesn’t increase a burden for others. 

No, you're absolutely right - its no burden whatsoever (and if you read carefully, I never said it was) - but when you tell a group of people that anyone who achieves 'x' task gets 'y' reward, and then after everyone tries their absolute best, and only 1 person achieves the task, you decide to give the reward to everybody because they did their best... there's a sense of 'what the fuck' on behalf of the person who played by the rules.

You might say that's different, but it isn't. I played by the rules - i wanted the premium product so i paid for it. Now others will get it without paying for it. I am entitled to my sense of what the fuck.

20 hours ago, AlexB said:

I already have Foxtel platinum.

Just saw that they've made all channels available to all subscribers for free - so basic subscribers now get the same thing I pay a premium for.

Actually, the free upgrade doesn't include the movie channels or sports channels (not that there is much live sport to watch at the moment), at least in my case, as we had only subscribed to the drama package.

Edited by yaark

Aha - indeed you are right. The article has been updated, and now says it doesn't apply to movies - so upgraded to full TV content access (which includes netflix products under their partnership) but not movies.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/foxtel-to-open-up-entire-content-library-to-all-users-during-covid19-crisis/news-story/cfb4a4f06aaccf32b9624dac74382fad

They don't explicitly mention sports as excluded, but it isn't listed as included either.

On 26/03/2020 at 5:31 PM, Tim Dasco said:

It looks like dreamworlds goal is to open back on the 31st of May. 

D0F791F4-C0BB-4312-AAA7-69D810EEFEA7.thumb.png.4a95cd312857c338db74f1999aa57a74.png

When we go into stage 3 restrictions, theyll be in place a month or if people are still dicks, itll go to level 4 and be months. If the parks are open for the september holidays id consider it good going.

6 hours ago, Levithian said:

if people are still dicks

Very true, It's absurd how many people ignore the government guidelines to stopping this. I just hate how so many people have the attitude of, "oh it wont affect me because im young". I rode my bike just for exercise today and the amount of people in large groups on the beach is actually quite disappointing. 

2 hours ago, Zac Beckwith said:

Very true, It's absurd how many people ignore the government guidelines to stopping this. I just hate how so many people have the attitude of, "oh it wont affect me because im young". I rode my bike just for exercise today and the amount of people in large groups on the beach is actually quite disappointing. 

Yeah this beaches thing seems to be a major issue. Why are people so addicted to the beach? It's so weird. Talk about non-essential.

So outback spectacular is scheduled to reopen on March 14th (with village planning on releasing an update tomorrow March 31st) - i think its fairly safe to say the direction we're heading here is for the closures to be extended.

The Village theme parks are all closed without a posted reopening date at present, with an update due on March 31 the same as AOS - no doubt someone will post the update (which is certain to be extending the closures) tomorrow.

Dreamworld on the other hand, although they had previously suggested a reopening date in May (can't find the link for this, but positive i've seen it), now don't list a forecast reopening date, or even a date on which they plan to provide an update (probably the smarter direction), but have kept the Lego store open to the public (which based on the ScoMo Family Puzzles, would be an essential service) but interestingly, they've also set up a 'drive through' option of sorts -

Guests who do not wish to enter the store can do the following:

1. Call the Dreamworld LEGO store on (07) 5588 1151 to place an order, process payment and confirm a pickup time
  2. Drive to Dreamworld, parking is available in front of the store, located at the rideshare lane – make sure you bring your ID and order number
  3. Call the Dreamworld LEGO store to let them know you’ve arrived
  4. A LEGO team member will bring your order to your car

On 30/03/2020 at 10:38 AM, AlexB said:

So outback spectacular is scheduled to reopen on March 14th (with village planning on releasing an update tomorrow March 31st) - i think its fairly safe to say the direction we're heading here is for the closures to be extended.

That’s a safe assumption given the 14th was two weeks ago.