Coronavirus and theme parks

It seems like there is some construction taking place in the shed where Leatherface and House of Kain resided in. This photo was taken earlier this month. Also, the 1978 Ford LTD station wagon ( which was going to originally be used in the Halloween precinct in 2016)  is sitting to the left of the Zombieland 2 maze. Not sure if that means anything? Maybe a Halloween Kills maze is in the works? 

71797BFE-E3D0-473A-9F2A-5BFDD4AF554E.jpeg

Edited by FoolishMortal999

I don’t think there is any chance at all Fright Nights proceeds. 

Social Distancing measures will be a reality of another year or two until a vaccine is developed. 

Can you imagine a fright nights maze with 1.5m between each person in the queue? 

1.5m between people walking through 

scare actors not allowed within 1.5m of you.

it just won’t happen.

Ditto White Christmas.

i still believe it’s a 50/50 whether the parks even re-open this year. PC sure, wet n wild, maybe with the wave pool closed. But the major parks - I just don’t see how you make it work 

15 hours ago, FoolishMortal999 said:

the 1978 Ford LTD station wagon ( which was going to originally be used in the Halloween precinct in 2016)  is sitting to the left of the Zombieland 2 maze. Not sure if that means anything?

It's been there since at least November, but wasn't there in September... you do the math...

As for whether the event will go ahead - I don't think they should, but I feel like Village will do whatever they can to 'satisfy' their obligations to make it go ahead..... even if they shouldn't.

• Like 1

I think the theme parks will be open by September at the latest (Unless shit really hits the fan) but as far as Fright Nights etc goes, I would say it's unlikely due to the way things are going. Not that it upsets me in any way, but I'm sure there will be people that will complain and demand compensation with their passes because they aren't getting as much "value" because White Christmas etc gets cancelled and it's an inclusion in their pass so it will be interesting to see if Village offers any compensation or something IF that happens.

White Christmas I can see as a "maybe" for going ahead this year, but I think the timing etc for Fright Night's just may be a bit off for this year. Happy to be proven wrong, but right now it's capex that they would be having to spend on mazes etc that they probably don't have to spare right now unless they re-use all the old mazes from previous years.

I will admit though, I'm glad to see that the parks appear to still be going ahead with their expansion plans (Dreamworld and Sea World) as I really think having these new attractions opening still will really help get people back once things calm down.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

I will admit though, I'm glad to see that the parks appear to still be going ahead with their expansion plans (Dreamworld and Sea World) as I really think having these new attractions opening still will really help get people back once things calm down

Agree here 100% Spotty. If the parks are able to forge ahead with their expansion plans, this will give greater motivation for the public to come back and visit the parks as soon as practically possible. Plus , what a great selling point for both parks- 2 new roller coasters to ride and being built in a post COVID -19 lockdown world. I know as soon as they open, I will certainly be looking at a trip to come and ride the latest and greatest. This can only be seen as a positive sign that these plans are still going to occur and I think that the management of both parks realises this.

• Like 1

In regards to ride maintenance, do we think that they will release a new schedule once they reopen (because right now it's all the same) and it will all be cramped into the rest of the year? Or will it be done while they are closed? Or once they have an idea of when they'll reopen, they will begin doing said maintenance? 

'squishing' sounds like a great way to kill people.

All mechanical rides have certain required maintenance times. That date doesn't get an extension just because the ride hasn't operated for 2 months. Anything that was due for maintenance should not open when the parks do unless it's maintenance has been completed.

For this reason, i'd hope that the parks would have kept their maintenance teams going throughout the shutdown, even if its at reduced hours to complete essential maintenance only.

• Like 1

Worse than that - they don't have the staff to do them all at once - so if they aren't doing it currently, and they only start again when the park opens, then anything due can't open until it's done, and they're only going to finish 1-2 rides at any one time... plus catching up on the backlog means others that fall due either go to the back of the list, or are prioritised, which delays the ones still closed even further... - no, stopping required annual maintenance during this time is only shooting yourself in the foot.

TL:DR They won't all be due at the same time next year because they can't possibly do all of the required maintenance simultaneously.

12 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I reckon with the exception of a skeleton staff and those looking after animals, everyone else is stood down so requires maintenance will be squished in. 
no income coming in means no wages to pay people to be working now 

Even sitting rides require maintenance, for example some coasters if they sit to long can flat spot the running wheels.  

Flat-Spotting – A flat spot can form on the polyurethane tread when the wheel is loaded in a stationary position. 

15 hours ago, themagician said:

I can confirm scheduled maintenance is being done across the parks, as per the websites

What is that based off? Movieworld replying to guests on facebook, or do you have some first hand information? 

Looks pretty dead driving past oxenford at the moment. Even the barriers/fencing are still up around green lantern. 

Edited by Levithian

To be fair, periodic maintenance (weekly, monthly, semi annual, etc) is really based on Cycles for the most part, not time (unless it's shelf life of things like Oils etc) so if the rides aren't running, maintenance intervals do push out.

Edited by djrappa
  • Like 3

On 27/04/2020 at 3:39 PM, themagician said:

I was talking to a staff member who said when they first announced the parks closures, they were already discussing whether or not the event would go ahead this year.

It wasn’t the dipping dots guy who told you this, was it? 

Edited by FoolishMortal999