Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Zanstabar

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway opens in a few hours and we've already got a few POV's. 

While I'm sad to see the Great Movie Ride go, this looks like a remarkable family attraction. Spent a fair amount of time trying to debunk a lot of the effects... to not much success. 

What does everyone else think? 

• Like 2

Seeing the POV yesterday (and another today) I am really impressed with how the ride has turned out. 

I think that the layering and incorporation of screens between the props really works with the retro/cartoon style of the ride. 

Having non-static backgrounds/backdrops just adds so much to the ride and in making it more immersive. 

Looking really forward to one day riding it in Orlando, or in Anaheim when it opens. 

Seeing this all, I kind of hope that one day they do something similar with the background/backdrop of the it's a small world ride. I think it would add so much to the ride (rather than just looking at painted walls of the show building). 

8 hours ago, cheski said:

Seeing this all, I kind of hope that one day they do something similar with the background/backdrop of the it's a small world ride. I think it would add so much to the ride (rather than just looking at painted walls of the show building). 

Perhaps a light plussing of some key areas in small world, but i do hope they don't just try to make it into projection:the ride. the chintzy old school nature of the ride is part of its charm.

Like when they introduced disney characters to the ride there was uproar, but when everyone saw how tasteful it was, with characters themed to the lands they suited, it was subtle.

May the painted walls of the show building long live on!

• Like 2

This looks amazing and just goes to show what can be done.......if you have the money and attention to detail to do it.

I tend to view Disney attractions as showing an attraction as its best possible incarnation (Generally, i'm not saying that Disney is infallible but they generally produce a very high quality product). Other parks also produce very high quality attractions too that, IMO, sometimes are even better than what I have seen at a Disney park (Think Efteling and Phantasialand for example they both have some amazing attractions) Other parks can follow the example of Disney if they want to or make do with the best that they can, both of which are fine. I don't visit somewhere like Six Flags and expect Disney level immersion in an attraction.

That being said we also have an unfortunate example of when projection mapping goes wrong...........

• Like 2

Trackless drive systems like this are just amazing. Look how much more scope you have viewing wise when you can turn the car 90 degrees and keep driving forward or backwards, or sidewards. Hell, you can even do a pirouette if you want. Everyone is looking exactly what you want them to focus on because you can just move the position of the car. So much more immersive and seamless when you really have no feeling for exactly where you are going. 

Edited by Levithian

1 hour ago, Levithian said:

Hell, you can even do a pirouette if you want.

Can you do a Flying Pirouette? ;)

Not sure about the 'everyone is looking' part. I know for me, especially if i've been on it once already, i'm usually looking anywhere i'm not facing to see how things are done, or what they don't want me to see. And those benefits are much more tightly realised in an omnimover system like haunted mansion, because in addition to facing you the way they want, the omnimover shell generally hides the 'undesirable' areas from view (unless you deliberately try to look around them)

I still think M&MRR looks great, and I agree.... trackless drive systems like this are definitely amazing.

You can hide things like scene/screen transitions or gaps in the physical sets by moving the car away from sight lines that make these things really visible and ruin the immersion is what im getting at. You have a lot of control over what people are looking at. Dont literally need to build out the whole set from floor to ceiling to make sure you dont have any bleed from the previous scene. You can just rotate the car away and towards the start of the next scene on the opposite side. 

Edited by Levithian

but that's what i'm saying - rotate the car away, but unless the car is enclosed, that doesn't stop the immersion being ruined by a person who glances (or stares) over their shoulder at the previous scenes.

Go and ride Big Red Car - Australia's premier trackless dark ride. Since all of the scene doors were disabled, presumably because of the lack of emergency exits in each show scene in the event of a power failure, one can see, and hear the scenes before, and after one's current position well before and after one's car has been in that room. Immersion is totally ruined.

15 hours ago, AlexB said:

Perhaps a light plussing of some key areas in small world, but i do hope they don't just try to make it into projection:the ride. the chintzy old school nature of the ride is part of its charm.

Like when they introduced disney characters to the ride there was uproar, but when everyone saw how tasteful it was, with characters themed to the lands they suited, it was subtle.

May the painted walls of the show building long live on!

Yes I agree. Any changes that are done, should be minor and done to complement/enhance the existing ride. 
The last thing I would want them to do is to remove all the existing props/scenes and put all projections in. 

It’s about improving the story telling and immersion of an existing ride, rather than changing it. 

There are many rides in the Disney Parks which are classics, though could be tweaked, incorporating  modern enhancements in technology/special effects. 
I wish this was done more on older rides which feel dated, rather than removing them and putting in a completely new ride. 

Edited by cheski
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AlexB said:

but that's what i'm saying - rotate the car away, but unless the car is enclosed, that doesn't stop the immersion being ruined by a person who glances (or stares) over their shoulder at the previous scenes.

Go and ride Big Red Car - Australia's premier trackless dark ride. Since all of the scene doors were disabled, presumably because of the lack of emergency exits in each show scene in the event of a power failure, one can see, and hear the scenes before, and after one's current position well before and after one's car has been in that room. Immersion is totally ruined.

I dont know many people that look behind them. Or do we need a diagram?

On 06/03/2020 at 11:42 PM, Levithian said:

I dont know many people that look behind them. Or do we need a diagram?

What do you mean? I've already mentioned that - at least after the first ride, i'm usually looking anywhere but where they're making me look, to try and see how things are done, or look behind the magic. Its just the person I am - I want to know how the magician does the trick.