COVID-19: Why are the Gold Coast theme parks still operating?

Parkz News

4 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Actually, discussion of the workforce welfare has been brought up a few times already. Here's a few truths:

• Many businesses that have closed, either voluntarily or mandatorily, have continued to pay their staff.
  • Some businesses have even offered to pay casuals, even though they aren't obligated to do so.
  • Casuals are paid a 'casual loading' that is intended to compensate them for not having all the leave and benefits of a full time worker. This is the trade off and is why Casuals get the short end of the shut-down. I know many are typically low-income, and live paycheck to paycheck, but that is the unfortunate life of the casual worker. This, however, while very unfortunate for the large casual workforce should not be a reason to remain open and compromise the health of the community.
  • Given the large casual nature of the park workforce, perhaps they should consider paying their casuals at least base rate for a period while they are closed.

Do you have examples of this in Australia at present, complete shutdown of a larger scale employer and relief is being provided?

5 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Hand Sanitiser stations have been shown mounted to several locations around the park on their social channels. I think the question is more whether those dispensers were actually filled? Did you test each station?

If so, and they had sanitiser in them, maybe the reports of no sanitiser are a case of people using them more frequently than anticipated on day one, and they've needed to up their game on having them refilled throughout the day

Always so cynical... can't just accept that proactive measures have been put in place and those who have visited the parks have stated this to be correct? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Yes, Singapore does have a lot going for it (although I wouldn't say 'best' - North Korea so far has gone without a single infection, so i'd suggest they're probably the 'best'.)

The fact is that Singapore's social responsibility is deeply ingrained in their culture as a small island nation. They're a global travel hub, and so they've been exposed to the worst of the pandemics of the past. Like SARS. And they learned from that.

Their citizens self-sacrifice more for the social good. Possibly infected? They stay home. When an Australian is possibly infected? they go out partying at Friday's night club while awaiting test results.

We've also seen today a case of a Sydney couple being denied a corona test because they weren't in the 'risk categories', only to be found later to be positive.

This 'social separation' concept that we've all heard this week? Singapore has been doing that for over a month.

Actually, discussion of the workforce welfare has been brought up a few times already. Here's a few truths:

• Many businesses that have closed, either voluntarily or mandatorily, have continued to pay their staff.
  • Some businesses have even offered to pay casuals, even though they aren't obligated to do so.
  • Casuals are paid a 'casual loading' that is intended to compensate them for not having all the leave and benefits of a full time worker. This is the trade off and is why Casuals get the short end of the shut-down. I know many are typically low-income, and live paycheck to paycheck, but that is the unfortunate life of the casual worker. This, however, while very unfortunate for the large casual workforce should not be a reason to remain open and compromise the health of the community.
  • Given the large casual nature of the park workforce, perhaps they should consider paying their casuals at least base rate for a period while they are closed.

Hand Sanitiser stations have been shown mounted to several locations around the park on their social channels. I think the question is more whether those dispensers were actually filled? Did you test each station?

If so, and they had sanitiser in them, maybe the reports of no sanitiser are a case of people using them more frequently than anticipated on day one, and they've needed to up their game on having them refilled throughout the day.

Maybe that's the new cap to stay under the 500 outdoor gathering rules? 🤣

You never know re the cap haha. 

Yea, I did use each one and there was certainly sanitiser in each and every one of them. 

@Brendo88 The comments about no sanitize products was made days ago.  People where saying the couldn't find any and MW said they were trying to source some.  MW press release stated there was already sanitize products in the park which there wasn't.  It's good MW has now fixed the issue.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, S.W24 said:

Do you have examples of this in Australia at present, complete shutdown of a larger scale employer and relief is being provided?

In Australia? None that I can disclose.

There are few examples of large scale employers shutting down in Australia, However I do know a few employers who, while still operating (because they're an office environment, not a tourist attraction) have told their workers that they were creating special leave provisions just for their casual workforce in case of a covid related shutdown.

If we're talking tourist attractions - like overseas theme parks for example - Disney has continued to pay their park based cast members that cannot work from home. Many third party contractors and college program participants were termed, but the direct engagement workforce continues to be paid.

But Disney is Disney! They're so rich, and they aren't even in Australia!

Yes. However Dreamworld was able to pay all their staff for an extended period after TRRR. It can be done.

28 minutes ago, S.W24 said:

Always so cynical... can't just accept that proactive measures have been put in place and those who have visited the parks have stated this to be correct? 

Not being cynical at all. As Skeet mentioned, there were numerous reports they didn't have sanitiser. I had seen their social channel pointing to the dispensers mounted around the park, and had made the assumption (clearly wrongly) that they might have installed the dispensers to appear proactive without being able to source the product to fill them.

Now I see that the reports of no sanitiser available were made before they installed the new dispensers, and judging by Brendo's confirmation, they're operating. I have misunderstood the reports, and I do stand corrected. I asked Brendo a clarifying question to check whether his report differed from what i've heard.

I agree - It's great they have been proactive, after claiming they had sanitiser stations throughout the park, but didn't, and then they installed dispensers after people complained none could be found. Oh shit wait - that's not proactive - thats REactive. How dare I be cynical.

17 minutes ago, Brendo88 said:

Yea, I did use each one and there was certainly sanitiser in each and every one of them. 

THanks for clarifying that for me Brendo - its great to have the correct info! As a side note - what did you think of some of the placement locations? I thought the ones on village bean for example were really jarring to the theme, and disappointing that they couldn't have placed them in a spot that impacted on the environment a bit less than they do.

6 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Hahahahahahahaha?

Sure Jan.

image.png.99e66c1d3bd27bcf04bf35700c067d19.png

Proof! Despite being sandwiched between China's 82007 cases and South Korea's 8320 cases (the first and fifth most cases of any country in the world) as you can see here, North Korea has not reported a single case! It is a triumph of the supreme leader's might and power that and a testament to his leadership that the blessed people have been protected by his grace and wisdom!

3 minutes ago, Brendo88 said:

FYI those are @AlexB’s words not mine 🧐

They were indeed Comrade.

I hardly think North Korea would report a COVID-19 case even if they had one (all jokes aside)

For those who have been to the DMZ before, I assume it is closed right now because when you go in that room, all it would take is a cough of someone infected & BOOM! North Korea wiped out by the "Booma Remova"

Edited by MickeyD
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AlexB said:

THanks for clarifying that for me Brendo - its great to have the correct info! As a side note - what did you think of some of the placement locations? I thought the ones on village bean for example were really jarring to the theme, and disappointing that they couldn't have placed them in a spot that impacted on the environment a bit less than they do.

I didn’t find the locations to be too bad. It’s a tricky one as you want it somewhere prominent where people will see it and use it, but also not so prominent that it detracts from theming. 

The ones at ride exits were done quite well but the others throughout the park were kinda of just put there I guess. I doubt they will be staying after the virus situation comes to an end but we shall see. 

4 minutes ago, MickeyD said:

I hardly think North Korea would report a COVID-19 case even if they had one (all jokes aside)

No I believe it - they won't have a single case of covid...

Because:

1. Anyone who appears sick will be shot without diagnosis
  2. Can't report a case if you never diagnosed it!

...all jokes aside.

21 minutes ago, Hiisi90 said:

sniffles that won't affect 99.9% of the population. 

*Citation Needed

You're a complete moron.*1

*1:Citation

21 minutes ago, Hiisi90 said:

I don't and will never give a shit about the sniffles that won't affect 99.9% of the population.  

You've been fed. Now fuck off.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hiisi90 said:

Like what? Everything has been closed down because of the hysterical gullible idiots cancellation/closure war on everything and it is absolutely ridiculous.... I don't and will never give a shit about the sniffles that won't affect 99.9% of the population. 

A Hiisi fit.

2 hours ago, Hiisi90 said:

Like what? Everything has been closed down because of the hysterical gullible idiots cancellation/closure war on everything and it is absolutely ridiculous.... I don't and will never give a shit about the sniffles that won't affect 99.9% of the population. 

Despite this post of yours, I will still feel sympathy for you and your family if when any of your family come down with this Virus. I can't imagine the guilt you'll feel should anyone you know passes away from this Epidemic. 

(Blocking this nong.)

Edited by Whombex
  • Like 1