TOT2 track removal

Tim Dasco

On 27/03/2021 at 12:53 AM, OgreMagic said:

Think they'll remove the "Tower of Terror" wording from the Tower?

Cheaper to re-theme Giant Drop as 'tower of terror' since the name fits. Wouldn't be the first time a ride name has been recycled almost immediately after the old one closed.... ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zacsta_1997 said:

As far as I’m aware, the “Tower or Terror” was the name of the tower itself, and when the coaster was built, it took that name. 
I could be wrong, but I’m sure the name painted on the tower was there before the Tower of Terror itself. 

Given the tower was built with the sole purpose of supporting TOT, the reason Tower of Terror was written on the side was because the tower WAS the ride. 

The tower wasn't just standing there without a ride attached to it for years before they decided to add the track...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zacsta_1997 said:

As far as I’m aware, the “Tower or Terror” was the name of the tower itself, and when the coaster was built, it took that name. 
I could be wrong, but I’m sure the name painted on the tower was there before the Tower of Terror itself. 

WOW

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Given the tower was built with the sole purpose of supporting TOT, the reason Tower of Terror was written on the side was because the tower WAS the ride. 

The tower wasn't just standing there without a ride attached to it for years before they decided to add the track...

When did the tower exist without the Tower of terror ride?

What was the Tower of terror used for?

I understand wikipedia isn't exactly a 'reliable source' but there are indeed seperate listings for TOT and the tower itself (Dreamworld Tower), and mentions of their independent nature to one another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Terror_II

"The ride was situated on the Dreamworld Tower, which also houses The Giant Drop free fall ride"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamworld_Tower

"The Dreamworld Tower supports both the Tower of Terror II and the Giant Drop."

Hopefully that helps clear something up..

You mean the 'unofficial name' that's attached in giant red letters to the marquee of the tower?

The issue is the TOT lettering on the tower are (from what i've heard) physical pieces of steel letters, rather than just letters painted directly onto the tower. the drop tower rails run straight over the top and it would be a nightmare to try and change it.

Like Kodak Skylink, Captain Sturt, and Rocky Hollow - the tower lettering is likely to remain until they have reason to remove the entire tower.

Edited by DaptoFunlandGuy

There's no benefit to spending money to remove the lettering from the tower.

And very likely cheaper to rename the remaining ride to "Tower of Terror - The Giant Drop" if you wanted to be pedantic and utilise the existing words that probably no one outside the enthusiast community worries about. 

Edited by red dragin

6 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The issue is the TOT lettering on the tower are (from what i've heard) physical pieces of steel letters, rather than just letters painted directly onto the tower. the drop tower rails run straight over the top and it would be a nightmare to try and change it.

You can thank @Slick for being your source because he literally said it on the last page. 

9 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

Honestly, let’s be realistic here. How much does it matter that the Tower of Terror words are still on the tower? 

A lot. Like the rest of the park, having rides look like they still exist from the highway or SBNO leaves a sour taste in guest's mouths. Our parks rely on repeat visitation, and especially when Dreamworld are trying desperately to fight its way back into profitability, giving people a reason to pick "the other parks" when they're planning their yearly interstate visit isn't a wise move.

52 minutes ago, themagician said:

That would be the most confusing name ever. It’s honestly more confusing than Justice League: Alien Invasion 3D - The Ride

Pretty much my point. If it's so important to do something with those letters, that's about the best we'll get. 

I'd rather see those $$$ invested in improving something useful around the park. 

I do wonder if you could very lightly use an angle grinder and remove the bits of the letters outside the GD rails...Depends on how they are attached on really i guess. Or paint over them with dark enough paint such that they become simply impossible to read from a distance.

Edited by Gazza

55 minutes ago, Gazza said:

I do wonder if you could very lightly use an angle grinder and remove the bits of the letters outside the GD rails...Depends on how they are attached on really i guess. Or paint over them with dark enough paint such that they become simply impossible to read from a distance.

If they just painted the tower I doubt only the keenest of eyes would notice.

FYI, when the Tower of Terror was built, it had a smaller cap on the tower before The Giant Drop was added. It was when the winch floors were added (the barrel at the top) that the tower was officially named “Dreamworld Tower” to reflect its multi-use. 

• Like 3