TOT2 track removal

Tim Dasco

• 1 month later...

When they begin to remove the queue building, station and skull, it’s definitely going to be a mammoth task due to close proximity to Tiger Island, Pandamonium, Madagascar, Gingy’s Flyers and ABC Kids. I wonder if they’ll be closing these rides and area of the park off when they go to remove it. Possibly on weekdays outside the holiday period.

9947CE15-109D-4C58-9F9E-ABABC088FC94.jpeg

BDB12311-E27B-474A-A339-40DB9A58FBD0.jpeg

0C224562-D977-451E-895B-4F7DC6803482.jpeg

9B852DDF-FF44-496C-8B45-079F9915F345.jpeg

FE9F7723-EAFF-432A-9EA6-C0C36A2E7C2D.jpeg

51A73201-2414-4AA5-A2FB-F73FF148273F.jpeg

FA509F7D-9845-4E20-8F9D-91D38190BC34.jpeg

• Like 1

As much of an eyesore as that building is, I wouldn't be mad if they gutted it, and kept it for now with the ambition of putting a dark ride in there down the track. 

Edit: just had a look on maps, that building is way smaller than I realised. Could just about put a flat ride in there 

Edited by joz
  • Like 2

They could definitely expand Dreamworks (or whatever it becomes) and add a couple flats there because they are on the same ground level. Maybe they could fill in the train tunnel and level that whole area out so it isn’t so up and down. And then instead of the tunnel you just have a railway crossing. This would also mean they would need to tidy up the back of ABC kids world, because the back of those old buildings are a mess. Probably expensive work to do all that, but if they want to make good use and value of the land they’ve got, some reworking needs to be done 

• Like 1

On 10/07/2021 at 2:47 PM, joz said:

As much of an eyesore as that building is, I wouldn't be mad if they gutted it, and kept it for now with the ambition of putting a dark ride in there down the track. 

Edit: just had a look on maps, that building is way smaller than I realised. Could just about put a flat ride in there 

If you demolished both the TOT and Big Red Car buildings you could do a singular show building more or less of equivalent floor area to Justice League.

13 hours ago, Gazza said:

If you demolished both the TOT and Big Red Car buildings you could do a singular show building more or less of equivalent floor area to Justice League.

Yet one of the issues with Justice League is that the show building is actually too small for anything with a bit more ambition?

I don't know if I'm in favour of a big show building that extends to BRC, I'm just saying I'm not mad if they want to recycle the station building for a ride or something. The more I think about it, the less convinced I am it's a good idea, but still, buildings are expensive. So long as it gets used for something accessible to the public and not something like a train maintenance shed. Unless of course the public can access it.

4 hours ago, joz said:

I don't know if I'm in favour of a big show building that extends to BRC, I'm just saying I'm not mad if they want to recycle the station building for a ride or something. The more I think about it, the less convinced I am it's a good idea, but still, buildings are expensive. So long as it gets used for something accessible to the public and not something like a train maintenance shed. Unless of course the public can access it.

I feel like it would require much more effort than DW want to put in. With the train line in the middle, the underpass and the ground levels being wildly different, it would cost a lot just in ground works alone. Then they also need better access to get trucks and equipment on that area to complete any of the work and that would disrupt the hell out of that end of the park.

• Like 1

Simply... 'good'. 

There's no reason to keep it. Even if they could have somehow repurposed it, it'd have languished in the boneyard until they thought of a way to use it and would have both aged terribly and stood as a horrible reminder of what is no longer there. 

If it were Village i'd be suggesting they keep it for fright night theming but as it isn't, I see no reason it should survive. stick it in the woodchipper.

Edited by DaptoFunlandGuy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Simply... 'good'. 

There's no reason to keep it. Even if they could have somehow repurposed it, it'd have languished in the boneyard until they thought of a way to use it and would have both aged terribly and stood as a horrible reminder of what is no longer there. 

If it were Village i'd be suggesting they keep it for fright night theming but as it isn't, I see no reason it should survive. stick it in the woodchipper.

Come on man, that's not fair. It could have been the backstage friend of the Gamesite Prawn, he's been pretty lonely lately!

image.thumb.png.8949f6fbec2844ee1b9d00e9b3246ddb.png

1 hour ago, MrLukeCarroll said:

Come on man, that's not fair. It could have been the backstage friend of the Gamesite Prawn, he's been pretty lonely lately!

image.thumb.png.8949f6fbec2844ee1b9d00e9b3246ddb.png

Nice try - that image is from about May 2016. The prawn was removed from Gamesite somewhere between August 2012 and May 2013 and shifted to the boneyard around that time... It was gone from the boneyard by September 2016, and that whole area has since been bulldozed for an announced and then cancelled adventure river, then further landscaped for a monster truck arena. The reef diver cars (September 2016), the wipeout surfboards (august 2018) and even the TOT car (spotted in Nov2020, gone by April21 - all of them gone long ago. It's honestly a good thing they've stopped hoarding long-dead attractions like they did with Vortex for so long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, themeparkman said:

Just wondering would tower of Terror 2 be rebuilt or modernised or will it be gone for good? Will the Giant Drop be the next main attraction to be sent to the scrap heap since it's getting old?

Zero chance of TOT2 being rebuilt. They’ve removed all the track already. 

I don’t think GD has any ageing issues 

On 09/10/2021 at 8:43 PM, themagician said:

New fence and garden is done 

05DD8079-4D1C-47E8-8A08-CF9471F51E8F.jpeg

I thought I should say something positive - and so i'll just say 'at least it isn't red'.

This is pitiful. All of the efforts we've seen them do elsewhere - and they knew this giant hole was going to exist when they planned to remove TOT - and go away colourbond is what we get? Obviously driveway access was needed here but why do we need to  - couldn't we have dropped in some large planters with some grown in shrubs or palm trees, or semi-screened with something less bold than corrugated metal a foot from the path?

This isn't temporary hoarding until they finish - this looks permanent. and its horrible.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

With my extremely limited garden knowledge and a distant image these look like Lilly Pillys? I agree it looks bad and is unbelievably bland, but thankfully Lilly Pillys grow at an absurd rate of almost 1.5m every warm season. With proper care hopefully by mid next year it wont look as shoddy.

On 11/10/2021 at 8:52 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

couldn't we have dropped in some large planters with some grown in shrubs or palm trees, or semi-screened with something less bold than corrugated metal a foot from the path?

All valid points but I think its just a cost thing. It's an inconsequential walkway that people will pass a few times a day but never stop. Fully grown shrubs and trees are expensive. A 2.5M Lilly Pilly will set you back between 500 - 700 each and you still need to train them so you're going to have gaps and other problems temporarily anyway. For the twelve plants this probably cost like $100 versus $7200 for the mature equivalent. I don't love that they took this route and I wish that would do something that matches the theming of the building in distance with a brick fence (see below), but I can see why they did it. 

also if they're not lilly pillys than just ignore this post haha. 

How to build a brick fence in a simple way?