Gold Coast theme parks shut as COVID-19 restrictions mount

Parkz News

i'm very glad they've finally been shutdown, but i'm annoyed that their statements refer to them 'making a decision' to close the parks.

BULLSHIT.

they closed because they were forced to by the increased restrictions. if the government hadn't included them, they'd still be out there explaining to everyone why the current rules don't apply to them.

I saw someone call Bikash out about comments he made 2 months ago about how everyone was blowing it out of proportion. He called them an idiot and said it was a different time. Crap. it was the time to act. the only actions our GC parks took is because they were forced to do so by public sentiment or government regulation. Make no doubts about it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Hiisi90 said:

More overreaction to a fucking non-issue, to something so mild so nothing.... Is it really worth plunging the world into recession with the closure of so many businesses who of which most likely won't open back up with hundreds of thousands of people out of work all over a mild flu? This cancellation culture, this cancellation war on everything by hysterical overdramatic idiots is 100% pure bullshit and is so totally unwarranted, making the world a bleaker more boring place to live in. They absolutely deserve whatever bad karma comes to them. 

782 people died in Italy in the last 24 hours man. That’s more than the flue. 

28 minutes ago, Hiisi90 said:

hysterical overdramatic idiots

I've never seen a more apt self-description anywhere on the internet.

6 minutes ago, gavinfulikes said:

I’ve heard somebody say that Australia is the next Italy because our PM isn’t really doing much. Queensland schools are still open :/.

A lot of people seem to have 'heard' a lot of things from 'somebody'.

Seriously, if it isn't .gov.au or who.int, you probably want to check the sources and reliability of the information right now.

Just now, gavinfulikes said:

I’ve heard somebody say that Australia is the next Italy because our PM isn’t really doing much. Queensland schools are still open :/.

Our curve supposedly more closely matches that of Italy, just a few weeks behind. Unfortunately not enough being done here until it's too late. A school in my State had a teacher who tested positive so they shut it down for two days to clean, during that time a pupil of that teacher also tested positive. and yet they still went ahead with reopening the school?

The measures being put in place WRT state borders closing should have happened a month ago. It's going to be a very isolated winter by the looks.

Yes ok - but you're taking a shot at the PM because QLD schools are still open? I'm not a fan of Scotty from Marketing, but Schools, Hospitals, Ambulances, Cruise Ship Port Authorities - they're all state government controlled. Our states are all sovereign bodies who are free to legislate as they see fit.

Our multi-level government means things are shared across the levels.

As for statistics - 97% of statistics are made up to suit the argument of the person making them, and that's a fact.

36 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Yes ok - but you're taking a shot at the PM because QLD schools are still open? I'm not a fan of Scotty from Marketing, but Schools, Hospitals, Ambulances, Cruise Ship Port Authorities - they're all state government controlled. Our states are all sovereign bodies who are free to legislate as they see fit.

Our multi-level government means things are shared across the levels.

As for statistics - 97% of statistics are made up to suit the argument of the person making them, and that's a fact.

New Zealand is going to be in lockdown from midnight today. This means everyone has to stay home and they cannot leave. Police will be patrolling. Scott should take more action like what Jacinda did to NZ but it’s probably too late.

56 minutes ago, gavinfulikes said:

New Zealand is going to be in lockdown from midnight today. This means everyone has to stay home and they cannot leave. Police will be patrolling. Scott should take more action like what Jacinda did to NZ but it’s probably too late.

There's at least 2 things wrong with this, but I know @AlexB will probably say something after me..

1. Australia's population is 5 times the amount of New Zealand's. Locking down 25 million people is not as easy a task as locking down 5 million - especially when a portion of Australian's wont actually listen to those lock down orders (as we are seeing at the moment)

2. Australia is literally 28.5 times larger than New Zealand (7.69 million square kilometres). A decision like this needs a lot of time and thought, which clearly you have not done, as you seem to think ScoMo has the ability to just shut down the country at the flick of a switch 😉

But what does this have to do with the gold coast parks? 

2 minutes ago, gavinfulikes said:

I’m not saying that Australia should go to lockdown

That's like saying you want half a circumcision.

You either do it, or you don't. Closing some spaces will just push others to the remaining places open.

2 minutes ago, gavinfulikes said:

And I don’t know why we are going off topic.

Because this is Parkz.

2 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

1. Australia's population is 5 times the amount of New Zealand's. Locking down 25 million people is not as easy a task as locking down 5 million - especially when a portion of Australian's wont actually listen to those lock down orders (as we are seeing at the moment)

Lol wut? Yeah we have 5x the population, but we'd also have 5x the police officers or soldiers etc to keep up with the enforcement.

2 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

2. Australia is literally 28.5 times larger than New Zealand (7.69 million square kilometres).

Lol wut? If people are out on the Nullabor plain, then to be honest I don't think its as much of a worry if they flout the curfew because if you are out in the middle of nowhere you aren't spreading it.

Likewise, a max exodus of people to the outback is unlikley due to the sparse road network, so very few checkpoints would need to be set up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

I’m just waiting for the announcement of the First Purge...

First on the chopping block -

• everyone who said it was just a flu
  • everyone who said these restrictions were a massive overreaction

I do note that that wonderful user appears to have disappeared, and I for one thank our moderator overlords.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AlexB said:

First on the chopping block -

• everyone who said it was just a flu
  • everyone who said these restrictions were a massive overreaction
  • Adults who ride kids' coasters without kids

I do note that that wonderful user appears to have disappeared, and I for one thank our moderator overlords.

Fixed😂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Serious question. If they go to lockdown, how do they get food?

NZ specifically? This article is helpful

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120512184/coronavirus-what-stores-and-services-are-still-open-during-lockdown

Back here, I am in isolation atm after a quick jaunt to America. I am recieving priority delivery from Woolies. They are leaving the groceries outside my front door. Same for ubereats. Havnt left my house in six days. I have a negative test result for covid-19 but qld health advise today this does not lift my isolation requirement. 

Edited by aussienetman
  • Like 2

Having seen emergency responses in disaster zones, I would imagine a lockdown situation would see food rationing.

Military would be charged with packaging a 'food parcel' of some sort, and theyd drive down the empty streets dropping a box at each door.

There would probably be some sort of quickly thrown together registration system, where you could list the number of people at home and whether there were any particular requirements.

All speculation, no evidence of this at all, but the military come in really handy during peacetime disaster response for quick labour - they're self contained and self sufficient, can go all day without 'rest pauses' and 'health and safety breaks' and they get the job done.