Drone usage at gold coast parks

Flynn_Smith

Hi, i'm interested to know what are the particular regulations at the parks in regards to the usage of drones? I did some research in regards to the Queensland governments guidelines, however I'm not sure whether each park has their own set of rules. I understand flying within the park is prohibited, however is filming allowed around the boundaries prohibited also? (For example, adjacent to Entertainment Drive, on the grass patch in front of DC Rivals, or behind Dreamworld's bushland near the train line).

• Like 1

In my experience with the CASA apps, almost the entire area from Currumbin and upwards is towards Stradbroke free game. The northern edge of Currumbin where the channel is, is your limit on the GCA DNF area. Other than that everything was orange which means its free game, but if you see a helio, you drop it immediately.

The land between entertainment drive and the physical track of rivals is only just bigger than 30 metres. I believe the CASA regulations require the drone to be at least 30 metres away from other persons. Theres no practical way you could be within that guideline in that space given the public footpath and roadway along that edge.

The simplest answer is exactly what Slick said above, but if its really that important to you - contact the parks to seek permission.

• Like 1

Hi @Flynn_Smith, Here are the CASA Regulations.

Dreamworld / White Water World

* As long as you launch from public land you are able to fly the drone over dreamworld.

* No higher than 150ft or 45m

* If recreational and no license you must have the UAV within eye sight.

* Dreamworld Tower is classified as a local landmark and you must keep a 500m radius around it.

image.thumb.png.6d351b3e73dd362b7f9ad26197e82b58.png

Movie World

* As long as you launch from public land you are able to fly the drone over Movieworld.

* Movieworld borders a no fly zone so be careful where you fly!

image.thumb.png.34c753328c94be4722aabe86e0bc8056.png

Wet'n'Wild

* As long as you launch from public land you are able to fly the drone over Wet'n'Wild.

* VFR aircraft operate within the airspace so you also need to be on the lookout and give aircraft right of way. 

image.thumb.png.ecfe19994ddb3ba3e5a68c19a2ae6b72.png

SeaWorld

* Personally I would not fly there

* The app has not been updated since the new heli port was built

* Below is the VTC Chart for pilots which gives most a clear indication if you know how to read it. 

* In other words, DO NOT FLY THERE!!!

image.thumb.png.a51225af491f3fd167bd2e0e72dfd54b.png

In regards to when the parks are operating, you must keep 150m away from the operational equipment (i.e. the rides). :) 

Edited by Thrill Seeker
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

Wow. That’s very surprising. I never would have thought it was legal to fly over a theme park, especially since you aren’t allowed to fly over vehicles, houses or people.

I think you answered your own question - you can't fly over people. Going to re-quote myself for prosperity.

On 29/03/2020 at 12:42 PM, Slick said:

Don't is my general suggestion.

Follow CASA regulations but above all else use common sense - if a ride-op spots a drone near a ride like say Rivals, they're going to stop the ride and notify security out of abundance of caution for safety.

2 hours ago, Slick said:

I think you answered your own question - you can't fly over people. Going to re-quote myself for prosperity.

I never actually had any intention in flying over the parks themselves. I was specifically asking if it was allowed around the boundary. By the looks of things, it seems to be legal.

18 hours ago, Thrill Seeker said:

Dreamworld Tower is classified as a local landmark and you must keep a 500m radius around it.

image.thumb.png.0f3b2875fb79afa0e91e3c22c4004686.png

Looks like you can film Fully Six from outside the boundary... ;)

Movie World

* As long as you launch from public land you are able to fly the drone over Movieworld

Just a reminder that Movie World's Carpark (and dreamworld's too for that matter) is NOT "public land". The entire Oxenford lot is one single parcel, and is private property.

image.png.f565a8b4c6364e3b489a36362f14faba.png

* As long as you launch from public land you are able to fly the drone over Wet'n'Wild.

Same again for the privately owned land of Wet N Wild.

Worth mentioning that the darker green area at the top of the lot is high voltage powerlines, and wet n wild has them too.

In regards to when the parks are operating, you must keep 150m away from the operational equipment (i.e. the rides)

Annnnnd.... that rules out fully six, and the public land outside oxenford, and this is why you will only see drone footage done in this area by professionals.

10 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

By the looks of things, it seems to be legal.

I think you need to look a bit harder.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

I never actually had any intention in flying over the parks themselves. I was specifically asking if it was allowed around the boundary. By the looks of things, it seems to be legal.

You'll need to read the whole thing. Will paste here for the third time:

"if a ride-op spots a drone near a ride like say Rivals, they're going to stop the ride and notify security out of abundance of caution for safety."

By all means, contact the parks for permission first.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Jdude95 said:

Moreso illegal than dangerous as aircraft and foot traffic are at a minimum during these times.
Still definitely shouldn't have been done though.

That is true. What shocked me is that the creator actually knows it's illegal. In his comments he mentions that he hides in his car so he doesn't get seen when he films this stuff.

• Like 1

I'd love to see the Admin building moved and it's land given over to the park. The Admin building was originally next to the Studio's original entrance (in-between Green Lantern and Rivals) which is the logical place for admin to be. The main entrance for the studios is now behind sound stage 8.

Edited by Slick
Edited because Joz is lazy