Drone usage at gold coast parks

Flynn_Smith

When leaving Sea World last week I noticed a sign (not sure how new it is or not) on the monorail track column (the first one you see as you enter the carpark). 

I didn’t get a full chance to read it, but it said something on the lines of that drone usage was prohibited along Sea World Drive.

They can put up as many signs as they like but it doesn't change the law.

IMG_954B7EBA6C9F-1.thumb.jpeg.eb66b06787020b107ece6c2cc7d4427e.jpeg

Drones these days exist in a grey area of diminishing common sense. The more bad apples that pick them up, the more CASA will have to continue to create new sub-sets of regulation and training to ensure someone throws common sense to the wind and either ignores the rules or does something clearly dumb (like flying it too close to a coaster).

• Like 1

Part of my job involves using drones. I would have expected Sea World to most definitely be a no-go zone.

For starters, CASA guidelines are that you should not fly within 30 metres of a person, unless they've agreed and you've got all the required permissions etc. Try doing that anywhere near a theme park. That doesn't mean that I'd your drone is 100m up in the air you're fine, that's the circle around your drone.

The heliport is another big factor, you're not allowed anywhere near that.

The main factor though is if it goes down, you risk polluting the area with the battery. I've nearly lost drones due to wind and wildlife, and always keep an eye on it rather than just rely on the screen and GPS. As I say, if it goes down I would want to do a quick recovery in case the battery cracks and leaks. Even if it was outside the park, wind can blow it off course (happened to me more times than I'm comfortable with) and maybe down it a bit too close to the animal enclosures.

I went to Tassia a couple of months ago and I should have left my drone at home.  Felt like everywhere was a no-fly-zone.  

3 hours ago, djmcbell said:

For starters, CASA guidelines are that you should not fly within 30 metres of a person

It might be hard to tell if somebody is on the other side of the fence from the road.

Edited by New display name

30 minutes ago, New display name said:

It might be hard to tell if somebody is on the other side of the fence from the road.

Exactly. However, if anything goes wrong that won't stop CASA and whoever else coming down on you like a ton of bricks.

If I really wanted to fly over Sea World, I would ask the park if I could fly when they're closed. Then, considering you should be able to see the drone at all times, ask if staff can be used as spotters. Then check the weather for any wind. And be prepared to land at a moment's notice, even if it's a hard landing (had to do them a few times).

And then I would fully expect them to say "no", because unless I was doing it for them, why would they say yes?