Sea World Monorail removed from website and park map

10 hours ago, StingRay said:

Track inspection vehicle. It is used to mainly check for debris or "buzz bar" damage. The "buzz bar" is what provides power to the train.

The correct term is "Bus Bar", as it transport power 'for all'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busbar

Although you'd get a pretty big buzz should you touch it and complete a circuit (750V DC).

2 minutes ago, red dragin said:

The correct term is "Bus Bar", as it transport power 'for all'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busbar

Although you'd get a pretty big buzz should you touch it and complete a circuit (750V DC).

Hence why many call it the Buzz bar and not "Bus bar".

I know that annoys the train enthusiast with misinterpretation. But it does go buzz  ;)

1 minute ago, StingRay said:

I know that annoys the train enthusiast 

Don't annoy train enthusiasts, they'll stand at a distance, awkwardly staring and mumbling something about numbers whilst wearing hi vis! 😂 

Btw - I'm not one of those type of train enthusiasts. I've been fortunate enough to drive a steam loco for a day (my photo - complete with L plate), but I have no interest in counting train & carriage numbers and recording them in a diary, or building a model railway and running it like a real one. Each to their own, just not my thing.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, red dragin said:

Don't annoy train enthusiasts, they'll stand at a distance, awkwardly staring and mumbling something about numbers whilst wearing hi vis! 😂 

Btw - I'm not one of those type of train enthusiasts. I've been fortunate enough to drive a steam loco for a day (my photo - complete with L plate), but I have no interest in counting train & carriage numbers and recording them in a diary, or building a model railway and running it like a real one. Each to their own, just not my thing.

Don't worry I ain't no rivet counter either. Had the pleasure of driving those beasts also. Very enjoyable I must say. I do have an interest in the miniature engineering but that's about it.

Gunzels annoy me also.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

It’s actually a bit of a theme park thing that buzz and bus bar get used wrong. 

A BUS bar is a power rail (commutator is another word) which some sort of Collector runs along to make an electrical connection. Think monorail, or how coaster trains get signals in the station to control the restraints. Their often yellow or green. 

A BUZZ bar is an old form of coaster restraint. Think the lap bars on the Wonderland wooden coasters if you remember/saw them. They are a single position non ratcheting bar that simply folded down to somewhat restrain the riders or out of the way to embark/disembark the train. When power was applied to unlock their mechanism they mad a ‘buzzing’ sound. Hence the name. 

Because Buzz Bars are a coaster thing and also Bus Bars get talked a lot about in theme park tech speak its become a bit of a thing where people use the wrong name. 

**fun fact Buzz Bar is also name of Sea World canteen. 

• Like 2

On 25/08/2020 at 9:35 AM, StingRay said:

Hence why many call it the Buzz bar and not "Bus bar".

I know that annoys the train enthusiast with misinterpretation. But it does go buzz  ;)

Hope you don't get to mad that I'm one!😉 Besides, I did not even knew that they were called Buzz/Bus Bar! So I am not mad.

But to the original topic, I would be devastated if the Sea World Monorail goes. It is the last place that an Monorail is in operation in Australia, the rest are in museums that are extremely difficult to find and see. I used to go on the Sydney Monorail once every 2 weeks and would from 2008 ish to early 2012 would do 1 loop from Darling Park, then from mid 2012 to mid 2013 when it shut, I went on 2 loops from Convention. It was my favorite thing in the world, and still is today. 

On 25/08/2020 at 11:07 PM, 19Michael96 said:

I think Gunzels are annoyed by Gunzels tbh.

I know, Gunzels are horrible. They go and shut you down on any word that you say! Then they excuse it saying that your ideas are dumb and that you need to stop ranting and raving. There is one on Railpage if you want to meet him.

1 hour ago, red dragin said:

There is more than one of them on Railpage! Quicker to count the non Gunzels. 

Can't delete the wink

There is literally an user called Gunzel. And he is the worst of the bunch! He knocks off my nerves even when talking about Physical Distancing, thinking that I want everyone to bunker down for 3 years when I said that you need to enforce Physical Distancing anywhere to prevent a Second Wave. And now that Second Wave has come by because of that! Great Job, s3_gunzel... 😤

On 27/08/2020 at 10:14 PM, AheadMatthewawsome said:

There is literally an user called Gunzel. And he is the worst of the bunch! He knocks off my nerves even when talking about Physical Distancing, thinking that I want everyone to bunker down for 3 years when I said that you need to enforce Physical Distancing anywhere to prevent a Second Wave. And now that Second Wave has come by because of that! Great Job, s3_gunzel... 😤

I've actually met s3_gunzel in person. He's a nice guy once you get to know him, the problem is when one is on the spectrum and has an online presence, there's always gonna be a clash of personalities when they come into conflict with likeminded individuals. Believe me I know.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, seatfiller said:

Are the signs at the monorail entrances stating it's temporary closure still there?

I'm not holding my breath that it'll return to be honest 😞

759DBB44-7D97-47C3-95BA-C8B829C9EBBB.thumb.jpeg.c158397ffdbba4bc1e683db4c7c6e8bd.jpeg

They were a couple of days ago. A little while ago they cleaned some of the track and installed new lights/cameras on the support beams near Leviathan. So I’d say there’s still some hope it might return. 

53 minutes ago, Noll_57 said:

759DBB44-7D97-47C3-95BA-C8B829C9EBBB.thumb.jpeg.c158397ffdbba4bc1e683db4c7c6e8bd.jpeg

They were a couple of days ago. A little while ago they cleaned some of the track and installed new lights/cameras on the support beams near Leviathan. So I’d say there’s still some hope it might return. 

I will gladly eat my words if it returns. I think it's too iconic to lose

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...