WB Kids

continued on from other thread...

Just now, AlexB said:

So, the whole area, except those four rides, leaving.... three rides to remove? Tweety, Sam and Speedy?

Ok, i'll give you speedy. 100%. its a bastard, and JDS is a much better attraction for the junior drivers.

Sam Train is one of the last well themed original attractions in the park. The 'toon style' set is so nostalgic, and the Zamperla train still shits all over the dreamworld tractor. It's a great ride for kids (although the carriages are just a bit tight for adults!) and I don't see any issue with it staying around.

Tweety cages on the other hand - i'm a bit mixed. The cage is horrendous for an adult to ride (which they used to do, but don't any more). Without an adult to ride with, this cuts the youngest end of the demographic out unless they have an older (but still young) sibling to go with. Its a 'high' ride for small kids, and losing it would be a shame, especially when the replacement would likely be an off the shelf product with a colour scheme loosely related to whatever character they decided to theme to. (i'm looking at you, Patrick's Jellyfish Frenzy).

But the Marvin Rocket set remains - (I don't know why they haven't done anything with that), as well as the taz car "parents room" space. The parents room space is well appointed (we've used it), but was such a waste of space to convert a kids attraction footprint into.

So if they can work around Sam Train, and build just-as-good an area for the parent's room space elsewhere (i'm sure the warehouse could afford to lose a 3x6m space where the old LTRR queue line was), then let's remove Taz, Marvin, Tweety and Speedy, and let's do something fresh and new with that space...

So, bearing in mind WB Kids is the only place in the park for the littlest members of the family, and the existing rides - Speedy, Tweety and Sam all cater to that demographic so well - what do you replace it with.

You can put in anything you like suited to 'kids' (under 12), as long as you've still got at least 3 attractions for a toddler demographic.

Here's your work area:

image.thumb.png.d005ee8a7396281fe71fb897ee6c3956.png

I've included the splash pad... because its feral, but remember that you need to ensure a pathway is connected to JDS and Sam train (yep, just like in RCT, all rides need a path). Remember also that the laneway beside JDS is a vehicle access point into the park, at the very least for fire access, as well as maintenance etc. I've attached another pic below without all the measurements and markers so you can go nuts with it. Let's see what everyone can come up with!

image.thumb.png.9550e61a23059c8ca3cabf2c9ee22c5b.png

I'd personally keep the Taz building because it has a great toon style too, but it could accommodate some sort of other covered attraction. Cages can stay too. I dont really have a problem with the splash zone.

I'd put say 2 round rides at the bottom end of Speedys and one at the northern end, then use the area under the trees for seating.

The Marvin Maggot area could fit another substantial flat ride, but not two due to the need to have a roadway next to the driving school.

One other area that could be used is the old outdoor queue for LTRR. I think that should be used for a ACME factory kids play structure.

For me, well if a new boat dark ride is off the board, this is what I would do with that area.

Give the whole LTRR show building back to guests. JDS can stay, however the back portion of the building becomes a new indoor section of the kids area. Tweeties Cages can go in there, Pounce and Bounce can go in there, as well as a couple of other new kids area. Slap on some Looney Tunes theming, and you have a new LT all weather Indoor Precinct. Anything of value in the allotted area is now gone. 

Bulldoze Marvin, Parents Room, pad where Tweetie Cages are, and flatten Speedys giving a clean slate. 

Splashpad now becomes a themed entry to the new indoor LT area. Build a facade that takes you from the real world to the looney world. 

Redevelop the rest of the Yellow area in Alexb’s pic above to be a more older kiddie area, Teen Titans for example, something for the slightly older audience, but who are not old enough for the full on Superman/ Rivals experience. I’d put in a proper wave swinger for one, and a couple of other smaller family rides. 

This is all just words on scrap pieces on paper so apologies if it doesn’t make sense. 

• Like 5

All great ideas Tbone, but I deliberately left out the other half-stage from LTRR behind JDS because the park is unlikely to be willing to give up such a great storage facility so close to their maintenance and storage areas. Sure, it'd be nice to have the use of it again, but realistically it's not going to happen.

I like the idea of a step up coaster for those graduating the kiddie rides that could co-exist in WB Kids with RRRC (which has been ruined by the dramatically increased height requirements). Clearly shorter kids can ride coasters - because things like Spongebob exist. I think something like a Mack powered coaster would fit well in the highlighted area, and could be elevated above ground to give some great kinetic energy, and permit other areas \ attractions to operate \ exist around it, a bit like Ocean Park did with theirs... (Arctic blast operates with a 100cm [accompanied] height requirement)

Whilst I get what you are saying Alexb, for a park that is so crampt, I feel it’s a piss weak excuse to have such prime real estate as “parade storage and maintenance” when that building was originally a ride accessible to everyone. 

I agree, they would be reluctant to give up that space, but a creative thinking management could be using that space for so much more, whilst also finding a new space for the parade floats to sit.

Does anyone know where Parade floats were stored and maintained in the glory days when LTRR was a thing?

• Like 3

Who said anything about parade floats?

No, LTRR stage is not used for parade float storage.

image.thumb.png.df2cb206723519f3ade3aab9f4dcd42b.png

And it's not 'prime real estate'. It was, sure. But the best part of that building is now JDS, and you've already accepted it will stay.

Also, I've just highlighted a 3200sqm space that is arguably more 'prime' than the back end of a warehouse, and your answer to that is 'empty the warehouse!' ? #JusticeForChristmasDecos

Besides, Movie World have shown they don't have a 'creative, thinking management' anymore.

To be honest, having driven in and around the maintenance back of house areas (and into the 'warehouse' itself) I'm honestly surprised the park survived that long without a space like that so close to their other facilities, and until they relocate a large swath of their park services team elsewhere, that half of the building will not come back into public use.

...Besides - the stages they have available to them aren't being used that well as it is - the Showcase, while certainly a step back in time to a time when Movie World was actually about 'real' movie making, props and sets and the like, really isn't what the modern Movie World has set itself up to be...

Although, if you look behind some of the black curtains, you can kinda see just how suited Showcase is to movie world - a really useful area that has been abandoned, and just walled over in order to continue on with something else - see also: Chinatown Alley, Lethal Weapon Shop, Lethal Weapon Cinema, Looney Tunes River Ride (1/2)... heck, I can't even remember the name of the food outlet in WB Kids (next to RRRC which used to be a show stage for the LT characters before RRRC was built)... now we can even add Intencity to that list which has been abandoned in favour of leaving some maze sets in place, derelict and unused for 12 months.

I mean - we all know the real reason such a large, air conditioned theatre tiered seating venue with a full complement of audio and lighting systems got converted into a walkthrough prop exhibit.... the roof wasn't high enough to do motocross jumps in.

ETA: Oooh! Just thought of another one! Gremlins Theares, AND the hallways leading to them!

Edited by AlexB
thought of another derelict abandoned space in movie world.... like it's hard?
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Who said anything about parade floats?

No, LTRR stage is not used for parade float storage.

image.thumb.png.df2cb206723519f3ade3aab9f4dcd42b.png

Correction, LTRR storage area is indeed used for float storage. It may not have the floats used during the day parade, however it does have a number of floats from seasonal events plus a lot of the White Christmas floats and previous parade vehicles. 

• Like 1

Well, yes -

59 minutes ago, AlexB said:

#JusticeForChristmasDecos

I had intended the day (general) parade floats, but semantics. yes, some floats and seasonal stuff are in the warehouse... because Christmas Decorations don't like being exposed to the Queensland sun.

(although, hot gluing 2811 LED strip to floats is just asking for trouble, really...)

I mentioned parade floats because in my experience, parade floats were also stored in there. I didn’t mention of what kind of parade floats though..

My reasoning stands, why is it so imperative that Christmas decorations are stored so close to the park, when that space should be used for guest facing areas, in an area of the park and land that is incredibly landlocked. 

I do get why it’s like that, but doesn’t mean it SHOULD be like that. 

• Like 1

It's not so much just Parade Floats, but general storage for Tech Services next door.

I mean im guessing the current Tech Services got built when the park was opened, but since then the park has built many more mechanical rides so obviously the space and resources needed increases too.

In fact, the Tech Services end in the LTRR building had a mezzanine built to increase the amount of space.

I'd take the view that you could build another kids land with a different IP, so the park has two.

Edited by Gazza

What about a Tom & Jerry themed attraction since the park now features the characters? I definitely think the whole area highlighted on the map needs reworking. So much under utilised space which is essential for the park. SW and DW have such great kids areas that have both been updated many times over the last couple of decades, and yet MWs has hardly changed. I agree that Sam's should stay as that is still a pretty decent attraction. Tweety's has just had a refurb, so that'll last for a while. But they could easily get another 3-4 new attractions.

They should also sort out that corner at the start of the area. Its a mess and looks cheap. 

6BEDA5DC-EAD1-4E5E-B3DA-AC871A0622DF.thumb.jpeg.e823908bc6c14da325cf206930aa94ca.thumb.jpeg.0803d5ca8a1377fa80631354369727ac.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themagician said:

They should also sort out that corner at the start of the area. Its a mess and looks cheap. 

6BEDA5DC-EAD1-4E5E-B3DA-AC871A0622DF.thumb.jpeg.e823908bc6c14da325cf206930aa94ca.thumb.jpeg.0803d5ca8a1377fa80631354369727ac.jpeg

hehe - I agree - thats specifically why i had that little dog leg at the front

image.png.9e52e3ce055dd3e39c07f3ba7d28dcc0.png

I have no idea whats behind it, but assuming it was part of first aid, I drew around it and just covered the thatched hut.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skeeta said:

Why can't we relocate WB kids to a different location?

Came here to say this.

Re-theme the current Kids WB area to be a teens area, so Teen Titans, Young Justice, Gotham Academy, etc. Plenty of IP to theme some good rides and attractions.
In my fantasy world, SDSC2 and AA are removed, keeping the Sound Stage and putting a facade up to separate WB Kids from SE and DC-land.

(This is if I can't have my western RMC Hybrid encompassing AA thru to WWF.)

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, AlexB said:

^That was sorely needed. I just hope it stands up to the traffic - Especially since that's a vehicle thoroughfare too.

They better hope it stands up to traffic too. These guys a posting all of this over their social medias so anyone who searches that tag will see the pictures.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gavinfulikes said:

It’s a bit of a shame that not much is happening with Dreamworld during its closure with the exception of supports arriving.

How do you know that not much is happening?

just assuming because a contractor hasn’t posted their jobs on social media?

i imagine there would be stuff happening in the park, we just can’t see what it is 

1 minute ago, Brad2912 said:

How do you know that not much is happening?

just assuming because a contractor hasn’t posted their jobs on social media?

i imagine there would be stuff happening in the park, we just can’t see what it is 

You do have a valid point however with recent drone footages showing the park basically deserted and no construction works happening and very little updates from Dreamworld I’d argue that there isn’t much work happening with the exception of maintenance. I could be wrong though.

• Like 1