What’s next for movie world

Smol bean

10 hours ago, Coasterlife said:

I feel like projection mapping is way ahead of its time for SDSC it was fairly rushed in my opinion and they should have done something like that when the technology has evolved better

It is honestly quite disappointing and depressing seeing how they somehow downgraded the ride. Animatronics will always beat 2D images.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

I don’t believe there is any less animatronics than there used to be with the exception of the final room

The werewolf is missing, Scooby is missing from the elevator entrance. It might just be the quality of the video I watched but it looks as if the lighting on the remaining animatronics doesn't make them as visible. Is the spinning guy still there?

The rotating guy, the ghoul that comes at you as you round the corner and the demon that drops out of the roof are all still there, but you're right, they could be lit better.

Of course the Scooby figure to the right after you get off the ride in the tiki hut is a new addition.

17 hours ago, Coasterlife said:

I feel like projection mapping is way ahead of its time for SDSC it was fairly rushed in my opinion and they should have done something like that when the technology has evolved better

It wasn't. Have you been to a show at outback spectacular where its used on the sand to project a creek bed and running stream? It looks great and is very well done. Even the back wall projections are better and blend in with the floor projections, so village can do a proper job of it when they want to. They just did a really shitty job implementing it at scooby doo. 

Edited by Levithian

I don't think projection mapping technology is the problem, the problem is that it does not suit the ride at all. The tech is there, its just not fitting for SDSC, where the best thing about the ride was the ghost train section with tangible monsters jumping out at you and of course actually seeing Scooby Doo rather than flat poorly animated images.

Also I heard somewhere that the projectors were just the old ones from AOS next door. Not certain if the source is factually correct though.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Smol bean said:

Why do they have to wait for a “better time” to announce it i know it’s probably COVID and all but it doesn’t matter at least in my opinion 

When Dreamworld closed Wipeout, the bungling of the announcement caused such a major impact to Ardent's share price that the amount that Gary Weiss lost in a single day was more than the cost to replace Wipeout with a like for like model like a Zamperla Windshear.

I have no doubt Village Roadshow want to avoid that kind of situation in the midst of a very large privatisation deal.

1 minute ago, Prequel said:

How long do you think it will take for a replacement for the ride? Considering Wet & Wild is most likely next to get some investment, since water sliders are a lot cheaper than roller coasters.

They need to get through finishing off Sea World first, which will be a feat considering COVID-19. I actually wonder what the ramifications of a global pandemic will be post second wave and when vaccines start rolling out. Will there be a huge backlog? And if so, what does that do for timelines, especially when ride timelines are in the years, not months? 

If anything, now would be a great time to figure out the next few years of capex, figure out your projects and lock in some OEMs to build stuff before you get locked out by bigger buyers in the US/EU/China and you end up having a huge gap in your five-year rollout.

TLDR; 3-5 years easy, but happy to be wrong.

Replacement timelines you would imagine will be reflective on how long covid lingers not only domestically but internationally. Second waves, third waves, cures, vaccines, uptake of vaccine will all throw out plans.

I wouldn’t expect a significant capex investment at MW for at least 4-5 years and that’s assuming we get back to some form of domestic travel normality in the next 12 months, which in itself is no guarantee 

• Like 1

So... I ventured to MW today...in my opinion it is so disappointing at the moment. Based on audience reaction Yogi Bear was pretty awful - HWSD was by far the worst I have ever seen it... (and I think it has changed post-covid). I was aware of all of the ride closures, but even Batmans suit looked like it had seen better days. Lots of issues with JL3D. The showcase is.. meh.

IMO, It is such a disappointment to see what the park has become... embarrassing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smol bean said:

@aussienetman let’s hope that new management comes in in a few years or earlier and brings this place back to its golden days during late 90s to early 2000s

How would you know the late 90s to the early 2000's was the 'golden years' for the park?

This is the golden years for the park in my opinion, with the exit of Arkham Asylum allowing for better future developments. The park attraction wise is a lot better than the 2000s, DC Rivals makes a lot of difference.

I do think Movie World can spend a few years renovating the place, but i entirely disagree that the late 90s to early 2000's was the park's peak.

Edited by Prequel

So there is a lot of talk of Golden Years for all our parks. Sea World, Dreamworld and Movie World...

I think an interesting measure would actually be for all of us to state our age at the time along with what we think of a parks golden years. 

By and large I think we all remember a lot of things much better than they really were. I for instance remember Harry Potter as being really good at MW but plenty of people tell me it was totally shit. 

would just be an interesting statistic to look at. 

• Like 1