Rainbow's End

T-bone

Has anyone ever been to the NZ park of Rainbow's End? I stumbled across this park on the net a while ago and have become curious aboout it. Does anyone know or can share information, pictures, stories basically anyting about the park. The only thing i have found are the Promotonal pictures. Please Share if you can.

I went to Rainbow's End recently in January. There's actually two rollercoasters at the park, although no one knows it. They have a brilliant mine ride, consisting of deep tunnels, fake mine carts moving at you, fake tracks, smoke effects all combined to give a beautiful effect. They have this 360 degree cinema which is at least 15 years old. All it is is a semi-dome about 10 metres high and everybody has to sit on the floor. Woohoo. And the Corkscrew ride is shocking. But not Cyclone shocking. As you come out after the second corkscrew, your head becomes a test dummy head, banging the harsh hard OTSR restraints which have the handle bars on each side taken out so you cannot hold onto anything. The building is also cobweb infested and has a very, VERY open plan on which your small bag containers blow around. The park is also very empty, uneblievably we got in 34 rides onto that rollercoaster, most of which consisted without even having to hop out of the train. The fear factor freefall drop ride was pretty good, it was very clean and nice. Also, as you queue up, they have posters which have information about the ride. One of which actually praises the success of the Giant Drop, funny info, considering the tower is only 30 metres tall. Go figure. And three of the most scariest parts of the park was when they let a disabled man on and as they reached the top the man's prosthetic leg fell off, and that one of the Fear Factor seats was split in half on where you place your "bottom". :) Plus their only souvenir shop had a couple of gifts. ewwww. I only have a postcard and a magnet. Woohoo.....

Yes, the Coca Cola Corkscrew Coaster (now to be known as CCCC) was the same model as the one at SeaWorld, which is very commonly known as an Arrow Corkscrew rollercoaster Standard issue, as such. Unfortunately i wan't able to take a camera either due to the high crime rate, you'd now if you have past heritage in NZ. But the park is very, very clean but lacks that certain flare like Dreamworld does. With Dreamworld, you can walk down the pathway and find Kenny Koala, and even Goldie the Clown just riding around. And as you sit down for a drink you hear the awe inspiring thunder of the TOT and the magnet noise of the GD. (mmmmmmmweeeeeooooohhhhhh!) I could keep going on, but i'd only be amusing myself and my BB pencil case i bought the other day at DW..... Anyway, Fear Fall wasn't all that good really, the only great part about the ride was that the engines were absolutely silent whereas unlike GD, you can't hear the engine gearing up for dispacth at the top of the tower. Plus it only goes 85km/ph, not that fast for someone who went to DW a week before, hehe. But all in all it was quite funny to hear people's remarks about Fear Fall, there were remarks like "that tower is so huge, i can't beleive you dragged me into this ben!" And simply, the answer they got back was "well you should be thankful, the one back at home is over 4 times taller. How much would you enjoy 120 metres instead huh? And instead of waiting at the top of the tower for only 3 seconds, how about 40 seconds?" Ooohh just a quick note, with the new type of Intamin freefall, th ride-op can now calibrate how much time riders are spending at the top of the tower, sweeet.

I've been to New Zealand, but not to Rainbow's End. Maybe next time I'm down in that neck of the woods (at this stage it's a choice between Tasmania or New Zealand for a few weeks in November), but it's certainly not the sort of place I would go out of the way to visit, because there's nothing there that stands out as terribly unique or inspiring.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest newzealander

I (since I'm NewZealander) have been on Fearfall and it's bloody shocking it is overhyped and really horrible, one side drops about 0.5 seconds earlier then the other and automatically dumb GP think it's faster. It is very small and the only cool thing is that on the roof of the loading building there is all these bodys a limbs lying around which were recently removed 'cause parents complained. Coca-Cola (the park couldn't survive without advertising) Corkscrew is identical to Sea World's but way way more painful and you come off it in a huge amount of pain. Motion Simulator is pretty nice looking (INSIDE ONLY) but the films are bad quality and boring and are hardly changed. Gold-Rush is hands down the parks best ride and is very well themed and it's is cool when you dodge the miner and fly into the fog and out into the open. Nice queue area too. HINT: It can be a bit sore on the rump so take one of the brown child cushions when boarding! The Log-Flume is well themed for the first half then there was a fire and they redid the Enchated forest part and put wire meshing so you can't get out of the boat and into the theming. The drop is quite plesent although from outside is an eyesore. They have tried to landscape the park but it is not very well done. They could do with importing some of Wonderlands rides.