COVID-19 & Theme Park Closures

Slick

not too sure if this is the correct topic although i noticed one detail in the recent video that MW posted on their instagram.

the link is - 

At the beginning of the video if you look to the left, you can see some green scrim. since the parks are closed, If this was normal ride maintenance they wouldn’t put it up, correct? BSS isn’t down for maintenance on the website so what could this be? 

I was thinking a possible change of what resides in the bat mobile space, however i want to hear your guys’s opinions.

Edited by Zac Beckwith
spelling mistakes

BSS was closed for maintenance before the park shut. So I would say they’ve completed the maintenance and just haven’t removed the fencing because there is no point in doing so. There isn’t a need to spend money on the labour to remove/relocate the fencing when it isn’t essential right now.

• Like 5

The majority of VRTP staff who are on the jobkeeper payments will resume work this week. Most will be on a minimum of 4 shifts per week, with management ensuring they use every dollar of the payment.

Last week Raging Waters Sydney staff returned to work as well completing cleaning, painting and training duties.

• Like 1

On 16/05/2020 at 7:49 AM, Smol bean said:

Let’s just get back to the main topic of this thread now

Who died and made you mod? The last thread didn't stay on topic, and this one probably won't either once things have been discussed to death.

On 17/05/2020 at 9:10 AM, Zac Beckwith said:

At the beginning of the video if you look to the left, you can see some green scrim. since the parks are closed, If this was normal ride maintenance they wouldn’t put it up, correct? BSS isn’t down for maintenance on the website so what could this be? 

I was thinking a possible change of what resides in the bat mobile space, however i want to hear your guys’s opinions.

That's not a scrim, thats TFH\ATF. its temporary fencing. I'm not 100% but i think worksafe rules require the fencing around the ride envelope when the usual safety barriers may not be in position, even if the park is closed, to prevent anyone not meant to be on site from entering the work area.

I'd look to Skeet for confirmation, but he seems to be AWOL.

• Like 2

Coronavirus Gold Coast: When theme parks will reopen as demands grow for answers

Demands are growing to reopen the Gold Coast’s theme parks as fury grows over the gates remaining closed to the city’s economic engine rooms.

VILLAGE Roadshow’s boss is calling on State Government to explain why the Gold Coast’s famed shopping centres can host thousands of customers but the city’s renowned theme parks cannot.

Village CEO Clark Kirby, while praising the state’s $50 million theme park stimulation, is baffled at why theme parks like Movie World and Sea World – which he called “shopping centres without a roof” – were not in the same category.

Under a State Government road map, theme parks can have a total of 20 guests at a time from June 12 and 100 people from July 10.

But Mr Kirby said yesterday: “Essentially if Westfield and Harbourtown can have thousands of people through, we are essentially – if you look at our thoroughfares – a shopping centre without a roof.

“We’re actually far better prepared to monitor social distancing than a shopping centre,” he said. “It does not make sense for us to open our doors unless we can have about 5000 people through the gates.’

Mr Kirby said despite meetings with Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Tourism Minister Kate Jones on reopening the sticking point was how many patrons would be allowed.

Destination Gold Coast CEO Annaliese Battista backed his call, saying the best assistance would be a reopening date for the parks and Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary: “These venues rely on large group[s but at the moment there is no road map for them to viably reopen.

“It is important we get them open.”

When the Bulletin asked Tourism Minister Kate Jones’ office what the difference was between malls and theme parks, the query was fobbed off by a spokesman who said it was a Queensland Health matter.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/business/coronavirus-gold-coast-when-theme-parks-will-reopen-as-demands-grow-for-answers/news-story/36f9eb09cb6500835ad15ae078c6e066

• Like 4

11 hours ago, westical said:

The parks can’t share a ride like a 9 year old’s swimming trophy. 

Yeah well, MW and DW both have a similar coaster built or being built... so the obvious recipient is SW.... ;)

9 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

My understanding is The money is for Promotion to assist theme parks, Amusement parks and animal parks. 

it’s not cash... no one is buying a ride with it 

I'm sure you didn't think I thought that was the case... but if funding is approved - it doesn't matter if its cash - its just the rules around how it can be spent.

Of course gov advertising funding can't be used to buy a new ride, but god damn it'd still be a better use of the money...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

I'm sure you didn't think I thought that was the case... but if funding is approved - it doesn't matter if its cash - its just the rules around how it can be spent.

Knew your tongue was firmly in cheek when you spoke of buying another Rivals. 
Some of kids (who should be at school!) would have got excited and then someone started mentioning a small-scale hyper (oxymoron?) and a raptor so I was just clearing it up for them...

According to the 2019 VRL Annual Report, Clark Kirby received approximately 8% of his annual remuneration as shares under a long term incentive 'executive share plan'.

The report specifically states that Clark was allotted 200,000 shares for the 2019 year alone, valued at $2.50 a share. Obviously they're valued at a much lower amount now, and Clark likely holds more than 200,000 shares - but that tranche alone would be an extra $24,000 if the $0.12 premium was paid.

Its important to note that not all execs receive shares as part of their remuneration, and shares aren't paid to execs every year (for example, no shares were allotted in 2018 according to the annual report), but for those that hold shares, it is a fair point you mention @pin142 - there are substantial amounts to gain for many investors, if the parks can open early enough to qualify for this additional offer price.

Latest update from VRTP

We are actively working with the Government to determine a reopening date with attendance levels that are commercially viable and we will provide an update regarding this timeline as soon as we have more certainty.

This consultation and planning also includes the creation of a COVIDSAFE plan, which is in-line with the Government guidelines, for the health and safety of our team members and guests.

While we work through this process, Warner Bros. Movie World, Sea World, Wet’n’Wild, Paradise Country, Australian Outback Spectacular and Topgolf will remain temporarily closed and Sea World Resort will continue to operate at a reduced capacity. 

Edited by Jordan M.
  • Like 1

As a long term pass holder I appreciate that regular communication is being made. This forum keeps a lot of us engaged and up to date however we are the minority, the majority would or could be none the wiser on what is happening with the theme parks. 

• Like 1