COVID-19 & Theme Park Closures

Slick

5 hours ago, AlexB said:

So, that’s a yes.

@alexb I think my answer above should suffice your fascination into this comment. I take appropriate steps when I see fit but it would have to be something serious and substantial, and if I have said so then it probably was something that was concerning. No go and have a happy and great weekend.

• Like 4

@Bikash Randhawa if you are here answering questions; is it really going to only be 4 weeks to get parks open and running again as normal when you get the go ahead from the government to run with less restrictions, or is it going to be more a case of bringing rides back online as soon as they are available?

Edited by Levithian

Hi @Bikash Randhawa

I know this isn’t Covid related, but since you are answering questions, I am wondering if you can advise what the status is of the status is of the Sea World Monorail? As you know it has been removed from the maps and website. There was speculation that it’s time is done, including information from a University Student Study stating the park advised them the Monorail was a defunct attraction more or less.

I saw you refuting these comments, advising that it was due to construction of the Vortex and Leviathan. Are you able to publicly commit to reopening the parks only (And vitally important) transport attraction, and advise when you expect the Monorail will return? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, T-bone said:

Hi @Bikash Randhawa

I know this isn’t Covid related, but since you are answering questions, I am wondering if you can advise what the status is of the status is of the Sea World Monorail? As you know it has been removed from the maps and website. There was speculation that it’s time is done, including information from a University Student Study stating the park advised them the Monorail was a defunct attraction more or less.

I saw you refuting these comments, advising that it was due to construction of the Vortex and Leviathan. Are you able to publicly commit to reopening the parks only (And vitally important) transport attraction, and advise when you expect the Monorail will return? 

Hi There, happy to answer questions but I guess you will have to wait and see what happens. Yes at this point it is closed for construction and yes the attraction is very old and we are weighing up options as we do with everything and when the time is right and appropriate we will announce as a buisness not on a place like so as it would not be appropriate to do so. All the best.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Bikash Randhawa said:

Hi There, happy to answer questions but I guess you will have to wait and see what happens. Yes at this point it is closed for construction and yes the attraction is very old and we are weighing up options as we do with everything and when the time is right and appropriate we will announce as a buisness not on a place like so as it would not be appropriate to do so. All the best.

Eh R.I.P Seaworld's Monorail. 

Thanks for the reply @Bikash Randhawa It would be a shame to lose the monorail, after all I believe it recently had a complete mechanical overhaul. Not only is it a historic attraction for Australia (being the first and only remaining Monorail) but also as a vital transport attraction for your park. Sea World is a very big park, and after already losing both the Sky High Chairlift, and the Sea World Railway, it would leave the park without any transport for its guests. 

If the monorail is indeed not to return, I hope Sea World is able to afford and install a new, innovative and World class transportation attraction.

One more question to bring this back to Covid (perhaps there should be an “ask Bikash” thread on this website? 

Are you, as the GC’s Tourism Leaders, working with your opponents (Ardent plus other organisations) to ensure tourism thrives in a post covid world? Do you feel the requirements thrust upon your industry in response to Covid-19 are over the top at all?

Best of luck and thank you for answering my question. 

• Like 1

Australia Zoo is to open on June 12.

If GC parks have any form of reasonable Covid Safe plan I'd expect they'll be cleared to open in the next few days as well. 

Health Minister Miles yesterday was also pretty clear in that stadiums will get to open with low numbers at first and then those numbers can increase. Pretty clear that parks should get the similar treatment with fewer attendees allowed at first and then a ramp up in allowance if the situation remains stable.

2 hours ago, Bikash Randhawa said:

The Sea World monorail is one of your star attractions, even though it is a bit old, people love it! I really hope you choose to keep it in the park, it'll definitely be worth it. (and if we're on the topic of rides... Vikings Revenge flume, will we ever see her sail again?) 

Edited by LunaParkFan

15 minutes ago, RossL said:

Australia Zoo is to open on June 12.

If GC parks have any form of reasonable Covid Safe plan I'd expect they'll be cleared to open in the next few days as well. 

Health Minister Miles yesterday was also pretty clear in that stadiums will get to open with low numbers at first and then those numbers can increase. Pretty clear that parks should get the similar treatment with fewer attendees allowed at first and then a ramp up in allowance if the situation remains stable.

The parks can not afford to open until thousands are allowed. Australia Zoo would be lucky to have 1000 in a day, especially during winter and without interstate and international tourists.

They are not the same situation in the slightest as everyone in a zoo also isn’t sitting in the same seats and holding the same queue rails or  ride restraints 

12 minutes ago, LunaParkFan said:

The Sea World monorail is one of your star attractions, even though it is a bit old, people love it! I really hope you choose to keep it in the park, it'll definitely be worth it. (and if we're on the topic of rides... Vikings Revenge flume, will we ever see her sail again?) 

Vikings Revenge will never return.. that’s obvious. 
The monorail is good for transport but a punishment in summer. 

14 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

The parks can not afford to open until thousands are allowed. Australia Zoo would be lucky to have 1000 in a day, especially during winter and without interstate and international tourists. 

I'm not a buyer of the parks can't open without thousands. VRTP average ~6-7K per day across 4 parks over a whole year. 

Also they're getting Job Keeper so the marginal cost of opening is really electricity and food and maintenance etc. 

They may still be net unprofitable but they're more unprofitable not having their doors open at all. In the first instance they should be trying to reduce their losses which means getting some revenue in. 

If Australia Zoo can open so can Paradise Country unless they really believe demand is totally lacking in which case they don't need approval to have a crowd of thousands.

Ps. I'm sure stadiums will also be 'unprofitable' for sports with small crowds but it will reduce their losses hence why they will take a small crowd over none at all. 

Edited by RossL
Stadiums comment

17 minutes ago, RossL said:

I'm not a buyer of the parks can't open without thousands. VRTP average ~6-7K per day across 4 parks over a whole year. 

Also they're getting Job Keeper so the marginal cost of opening is really electricity and food and maintenance etc. 

They may still be net unprofitable but they're more unprofitable not having their doors open at all. In the first instance they should be trying to reduce their losses which means getting some revenue in. 

If Australia Zoo can open so can Paradise Country unless they really believe demand is totally lacking in which case they don't need approval to have a crowd of thousands.

Ps. I'm sure stadiums will also be 'unprofitable' for sports with small crowds but it will reduce their losses hence why they will take a small crowd over none at all. 

I’m not necessarily saying they need thousands, but that is what the parks have said they want before they will open. 

you are assuming everyone at the parks is permanent, many are casual so don’t get job keeper, and many would have found other jobs now. It’s not just flicking an employment switch, hence why the parks have said it will be 3-4 weeks after they get the approval before they can actually open again. There will be large costs associated with preparing the park for social distancing and enforcing it - and the cost of those measures will he factored into the break even point of guest numbers for viability. 

having been to PC many times, more than 80% of their guests are international tourists, and another 10% is school groups. None of those can happen. They wouldn’t get 50 in a day without those groups so it is not even worth them opening other than maybe on a weekend when you’ll get some locals.

stadiums are a different beast entirely as they are having to open for the sport itself and the home team is paying its lease fee regardless of attendance. Very little of gate takings make it to the clubs themselves, that’s why sponsorship is so important. 

Australia Zoo is more or less passive also. They have had to stay open for staff to feed, care for and clean the animals during the shut down. That includes continuing to do their presentations and enrichment activities as the animals are used to it.

Additionally a lot of the staff at Australia Zoo are actually volunteers. 

Allowing public just lets them offset some of the costs and being to the zoo many times (6 year old loves it), the whole zoo has large open areas, and the stadium always has many spare seats.

The only areas that would need more work are the transport buses around the park, the otter and tiger shows and possibly the snake enclosure but only QLD locals attending would mean they should be fine for now.

• Like 1

Went to Sealife at Sunny Coast today.  Venue is all indoors. Had to pre-book an entry time (seems to be 40-50 slots per halfhour). Was temperature checked before gaining entry. Stickers on all the floors marking spaces to stand and distancing. Some smaller areas closed, but seemed to be all up and running ok. 

• Like 2