COVID-19 & Theme Park Closures

Slick

Visited Australia Zoo today, their first day of operation since closure due to COVID-19.

Social distancing foot markings at the entrance and in shops, signs throughout the zoo reminding guests to social distance. Kids shopping centre style rides were blocked off, all water bubblers were also turned off. They were disinfecting the tram after each full circuit. 

General animal encounters/feeding were not happening. Shows have been reduced down to 3, Tortoises Talk, Koala Talk and main Crocoseum show.

At the start of the Koala and Tortoise talks the staff requested everyone social distance. 

The croceseum had signage to specify you must leave a 3 seat gap between groups, people were obeying that however the audio before the shows also specified leaving the rows behind and in front of you empty. As rows were not blocked off nor was this mentioned on the signs it did not happen.

Huge surprise was 16 weeks ago Tiger Cub Triplets were born! Today was their first day on public display. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RossL said:

Toshimaen in Tokyo, Japan is to close for good on August 31.

To be replaced with a Harry Potter Theme Park apparently. 

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/06/13/business/toshimaen-close-harry-potter-theme-park-2023/#.XuRpzxiuaDY

Who’s gonna build this park because universal has the theme park rights for Harry Potter. and i don’t know why universal would build a entire theme park just about Harry Potter and nothing else

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Smol bean said:

Who’s gonna build this park because universal has the theme park rights for Harry Potter. and i don’t know why universal would build a entire theme park just about Harry Potter and nothing else

i mean, harry potter is pretty popular, tbh it would make sense to have a full harry potter park as it hasn’t been done before.

23 minutes ago, gavinfulikes said:

Harry Potter is also VERY popular in Japan as well.

It definitely is. It’s the only Universal park where you need to get a return time to enter the area, you can only get this once in the day and there is a queue system setup before entering the area too

• Like 1

every country seems to have a different interpretation around what kills the virus, the life cycle on surfaces, and the use of masks.

Ive read material that states it survives hours on surfaces, and days on fabrics, and that temperatures don’t come into play in “naturally” killing the virus unless they are over 56 degrees and exposed for 15mins or more which won’t occur naturally anywhere. 

even medical grade UV exposure is harmful to humans, and I haven’t previous heard of its usage outside of health facilities as a means to kill the virus, especially in high traffic areas. Even if the cars were “hit” by light between unload and load, the ride ops would be exposed to it each time unless a custom room was built for this exposure to occur within 

Also not sure how we can say the virus is not transmitted by skin contact? If so why are we not allowed to shake hands, use utensils or equipment that is handled by multiple people? I think it’s 100% transmitted by droplets of the virus that get picked up on surfaces and then you touch your face, eat/drink and then basically ingest the virus. 

• Like 1

So it’s widely accepted that temperature has an effect but more importantly sunlight with its UV content is destructive to the virus. 

You don’t expose humans to the UV light. I’m not sure as to your knowledge level on lighting, but it’s possible to focus light (including UV) in a way that is directional and thus doesn’t contact anyone outside of the desired area. 

The virus is 100% not transmitted into the body via Skin Contact. The reason you can’t shake hands etc is because people can’t be trusted to not touch their mouth, or another orifice after possibly contacting the virus with their hands, etc. That’s why you have to sanitize your hands correctly before touching your face (ie after you ride).  

I’ll admit my knowledge on lighting isn’t strong and that’s great if what you say is possible in a theme park context. Does it need to just pass through the light, or is it a set duration that the the light must stay on the subject to kill the virus? That would be the key to how quick you could cycle I guess. 

And yes I realise skin cannot absorb, absolutely. I think mandatory sanitiser upon entering queue lines and on ride exit are the minimum. 

51 minutes ago, Jordan M. said:

It may mean nothing, but SW Resort are now offering packages including park admission once again.

SW/PC from July 1 and the rest from July 15

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 1.00.34 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 1.00.56 pm.png

If this is all real and not an accident on their part, I think we may see some an announcement this week, possibly even tomorrow. Also based off Bikash has been posting teasers on his Instagram too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

Does it need to just pass through the light, or is it a set duration that the the light must stay on the subject to kill the virus? That would be the key to how quick you could cycle I guess. 

Yes most definitely, and that's something that enters the medial/scientific realm that I don't have adequate knowledge on. But it would be interesting to explore. Certainly for the outdoor rides, the empty cycles approach seems to make a lot of sense.

21 hours ago, Zac Beckwith said:

Busch Gardens are running trains with physical distancing, however every hour they are fully sanitising the trains and then running a few cycles without guests (taking around 25 minutes) 

Reportedly Bush Gardens is a total shit show in regards to social distancing, masks and hygiene so a token sanitising every hour seems a bit like pissing in the wind really.

26 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Reportedly Bush Gardens is a total shit show in regards to social distancing, masks and hygiene so a token sanitising every hour seems a bit like pissing in the wind really.

I watched This guy go to seaworld The day it reopened which The company that owns sea world also owns Busch gardens. and it looked like the same Crap happening at Busch gardens with no one wearing face mask and no one social distancing 

Busch gardens is a ghost town, when I went there couple of years ago it was quiet but that is... not sure if they're physically limiting numbers or if people are scared or if he just didn't get people on camera but that is less than 25% of normal park operations, that is probably 15% in comparison to what I got which was already almost all walk on rides except cheeter hunt (30min wait, and although he shows 65min wait, trains were launching every 2mins at full capacity opposed to the long wait he showed), which makes me wonder why even open at all? as they're not selling much merch with stores closed, and running trains with so many empty seats aren't they loosing more money by turning the rides on?

Edited by Rexillium