COVID-19 & Theme Park Closures

Slick

Yeah look - not opening when your competition does will really hurt in the short term as people will be able to rely and plan on the fact that the VRTP are open.

However, as we've seen from Richard's stats mentioned in articles and posts recently, Dreamworld wasn't doing too well out of peak. It may be a good excuse to keep the park closed during a loss-making season while still supported by Job Keeper, and to reopen in time for the school holiday peaks?

Sure, they're behind the VRTP 8 ball, but if they're open in time prior to summer holidays, it shouldn't be a major impact. Although we know many holidaymakers plan their holidays 12 months in advance, those with earlier plans may have cancelled already. Those booked for Xmas this year probably won't have cancelled and those plans would not have been impacted by park closure.

Most of their guests during off peak times are pass holders, who have been guaranteed an extension to their expiry by both chains. If DW stays closed a month longer, then the passes will also extend by a month, but in turn, it lets all those who hold passes to both parks off the hook about 'which park do we do first' - let village open, and the wave subside, and then open later, with all those who've already visited and tried VRTP given the opportunity to visit DW, without competing with village for attendance as much as their opening weekend.

I don't think it's smart, but there could be some logic to it...

• Like 2

Its a lot better than the company who has been jumping up and down demanding the government changes rules and regulations while keeping its own staff in the cold.

At least DW has not kept staff in the cold. What's wrong with today's announcement from DW anyway?. They announced they are opening and that gives everyone a timeline. But then again DW ain't no VRTP and we al know hos this forum acts these days.

Just don't go crying when the numbers fall or if those parks are required to do more than what we have already been told.

32 minutes ago, StingRay said:

But then again DW ain't no VRTP and we al know hos this forum acts these days.

How does it act exactly?

32 minutes ago, StingRay said:

At least DW has not kept staff in the cold. What's wrong with today's announcement from DW anyway?. They announced they are opening and that gives everyone a timeline.

They are excited to announce they don't know when they're opening. How is that even a thing? It comes across like it's an announcement in response to the news today rather than being something they are promoting on their own terms. They are on the back foot, not smart. If this is them on the front foot, they're also not smart. HeIl the media reached out to then and the declined to comment. You know why? Because they had nothing to announce. Obviously this story is going to blow up today and they weren't ready have beeb left behind. Yes they'll get clearer air when they do announce it, but yesterday they weren't even able to say 'We're in the final stages of finalising our reopening date for Dreamworld, however we are excited to announce Sky Point will be reopening on..'

Also according to the link posted yesterday, weren't the staff told first at Village what was going on? Isn't there communication to staff out there explaining the various situations to them?

Also, someone from Ardent has been reading from the Village book of bland Corperate speak, having announced a **World Class** Covid safe plan

Edited by joz
  • Like 2

Advanced issues found

🤷

14 minutes ago, joz said:

How does it act exactly?

They are excited to announce they don't know when they're opening. How is that even a thing? It comes across like it's an announcement in response to the news today rather than being something they are promoting on their own terms. They are on the back foot, not smart. If this is them on the front foot, they're also not smart. HeIl the media reached out to then and the declined to comment. You know why? Because they had nothing to announce. 

First question. Well, it is fairly obvious.

They have announced when they will be reopening. Before the September holidays in a staged re-opening. I gather people are upset because they didn't yet give an exact date. They have given an idea. So its better than nothing else. It is not like they are chucking a tantrum. It seems to me like DW management understand workers health and safety along with guest is more important.

Does anyone also know how VRTP has been losing 15 million a month?. Is that just the GC parks or worldwide stuff also.

1 hour ago, joz said:

Also according to the link posted yesterday, weren't the staff told first at Village what was going on? Isn't there communication to staff out there explaining the various situations to them?

Yes DW staff recieved an update email today. Approval has been recieved to operate at 50% capacity however no opening date to be declared just yet so as to 'properly implement' covid-safe measures and 'recommission' rides and attractions.  

My spec - they cant afford to operate with locals only and are waiting travel restrictions to ease. I personally would prefer they stay closed and play the longgame to try and ensure a future, then open quickly just cause the other guys are. 

• Like 1

Sounds more to be Dreamworld hadn't got their shit together/don't have the cash to reopen at present, and were blindsided by a VRTP announcement. 

Then they've rushed out a PR release implying this is all part of their plan, and then made a (VERY) thinly veiled jab at VRTP implying they are staying closed because they don't want to rush safety. Basically implying that VRTP care less about safety.

Let's just not even go there in regards to the irony in Dreamworld suggesting someone else is cavalier when it comes to safety.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, westical said:

Does it work for members yet?

Haha

can confirm it does as I was just about to add my 3 premier memberships to the app for the family, luckily I still had the confirmation/order email from 2 years ago or I wouldn’t have been able to as you need the order number not the pass number...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StingRay said:

Because VRTP has never had any issues at all.

Well in regards to safety, no they haven’t. They’ve always been a leader in safety of both guests and staff alike. So the suggestion otherwise is quite out of order I feel. 

Please elaborate on the multiple times? I'm really curious and love to hear your examples. 

We know of one instance, and that was an issue to do with S&S designing their cars and wheel bogies poorly. 

Hah I was beaten to it @rappa said exactly what I was thinking. 

Edited by Original
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Why can't anyone comment about GL? is that off-limits?

Because a manufacturer design floor that was undetectable by a park following all prescribed procedures to the letter cannot be considered a safety failing by the park. That’s why. 

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

can confirm it does as I was just about to add my 3 premier memberships to the app for the family, luckily I still had the confirmation/order email from 2 years ago or I wouldn’t have been able to as you need the order number not the pass number...

Unfortunately order numbers were not a thing back in 2015 when I signed up to mine. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Was the ride inside the property though and attended to by the company?.

Are you daft? What does that idiotic comment have to with anything. The comment made above said the park toed the line on safety. 

So in respect to that, Green Lantern is irrelevant. But I’m not going to have a stupid argument about it because there is no need. 

Was there ever an official finding that stated the fault was 100% undetectable by village engineering for the GL incident? 

Just remember, a very well known Head of Engineering at Dreamworld who had been there for many years when the 2016 incident occurred, was previously in a highly paid engineering position at Village Roadshow theme parks, and has often been cited as the reason for many attractions falling to disrepair, and eventually removed. Who’s to say Village were just lucky to not get caught with their pants down?

I know your position Rappa means you were very knowledgeable of the business and I don’t deny that knowledge. I’m not here to pick a fight, but I would also like to point out that village aren’t the holy grail as mentioned above. No one is. Not even Disney. Whatever you do is only still as good as the last persons effort. 

If GL gets a pass because it was a manufacturer’s defect, then technically TRRR was a manufacturer’s defect or oversight, since the ride was built and maintained in house.