Theme Parks Reopening Post COVID-19

themagician

2 hours ago, AlexB said:

The images I saw today of the front gates, with the “attractions not operating today” signs covered over with plain white boards is at odds with that.

Haven’t seen said photos, so obviously not taking those into account. However you must have the VTP app on your phone to enter, and that clear as day shows the closures. 

I think the issue is not so much "knowing what to expect", it's being presented with it in the first place.

It should be like 1 or 2 rides closed max, and rides of the same category shouldn't be closed concurrently.

I think some people will be happy to be there because it's a bit of normality and an activity they've been sorely missing, but I don't think it'll be accepted for more than a few weeks to have so many things shut.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Haven’t seen said photos, so obviously not taking those into account. However you must have the VTP app on your phone to enter, and that clear as day shows the closures. 

Clear as mud.

To see the maintenance schedule you need to either click Info and then Park Maintenance or you go the Park, click 'Now Open' and then scroll down to 'Park Maintenance'.

If you go to 'Ride Wait Times' it doesn't even bother mentioning that any of the featured attractions are going to be closed before you get to the park. Every currently closed attraction is still showing in the list of rides with no disclaimer.

E7553A03-6AD3-4843-94B9-EFDAA7FA1069.png

Under Virtual Queue it simply says 'Ride Paused'.

3FCC3717-E889-48D9-ABED-C8ACB0AF219C.png

Even if you go to a closed attraction it just says 'Wait times will show when you're in the park'. 

5899D975-7FC4-49E8-9B5C-2FD87A7D1BA7.png

Also provided is the white corflute covering the usual ride closure sign that greeted us yesterday. 

A42DE31F-41FF-4EDB-97A4-A4F8948A5AD3.png

Edited by CaptainLazerGuns

Went to the website, red banner directed me to COVID info. Clearly states check the maintenance page. Maintenance page clearly shows closed rides so...

93BE411A-3570-4344-9D34-10041F51288D.jpeg

40305521-D75B-4199-A1A3-BF5589D8AEE2.jpeg

Im very curious about the white corflute though. If they are trying to hide the signs then that’s really shit. But also they are magnetic so also weird. 
Are the closed rides not shown on the digital screens out the front now?

Edited by rappa

1 minute ago, rappa said:

Went to the website, red banner directed me to COVID info. Clearly states check the maintenance page. Maintenance page clearly shows closed rides so...

Straw man argument. We're not talking about the website but the app that is a requirement for entry. 

Visiting the website is not required for entrance but having the VRTP App is which doesn't have the disclaimer. Why would the app which is required and will get more traffic choose to opt-out from a similar disclaimer to the website?

3 hours ago, Jordan M. said:

Quoted for truth, I saw countless people enjoying themselves, the park mood was was far from dreary. 

Main St performances now travel down Main St, you would struggle to find a time on main st prior to 3pm when you couldn’t find a character.  I would argue with this in place the park is atmosphere is excellent.

I used it on opening day, it works as intended in my experience. I got on rivals after booking immediately at opening around 10:30, by 11:30 the virtual wait was 5 hours with a return time close to park close. If anyone is complaining it wasn’t working it’s most likely due to all slots simply being full.

Whilst I wasn’t there on the day that @CaptainLazerGunswas there, I have indeed experienced multiple people disappointed and upset when visiting, ranging from rides being closed, to the whole virtual Queue concept.

On virtual queue;

I mean, sure, slots may be filled, but the whole virtual queue system is being touted as the best way to ride to help social distance in the park. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was touted to the government as a reason they could reopen. But in your example @Jordan M., all ride slots were sold or filled by 11:30. That’s not necessarily making the system accessible as a fully fledged alternative to standby or traditional queues. As a result the traditional queues were incredibly long, and with lack of social distancing being followed, it made for an interesting experience.

Put yourself in the shoes of Mum and Pop, and kiddies who are visiting the park for the first time, or a once a year kind of trip. If you were there, promised you could virtual queue, only to find by the time you got yourself sorted, the VQ was all filled up, or a ridiculous wait time, you’d be pissed. On top of that, you attempt to ride in the standby queues, and the standby queues would be overflowing, you’d be double pissed.

If you arrived at the park, signage out the front advertising no closed rides (the universal way that rides around the world are advertised as being closed), get through the gates only to see multiple big rides closed, you‘d be disappointed. This isn’t one big ride, but multiple headliner attractions. 

Want to see and get a photo (from a distance) of Tom and Jerry? Pay $20 to experience the Hollywood magic... yeah, ok, you’d be disappointed.

Take the kids to ride Junior driving school, and the kids get baited by the flashing lights and soft plush in the claw machines now placed in the queue line for that ride, kids scream, get upset and chuck a tantrum because you don’t want to, you’d be pretty disappointed. 

These are just some of the personal experiences I have witnessed since Movie World has reopened. I applaud them for reopening, don’t get me wrong, and the operations I’m not going to give comment on as it’s something that will be worked on in due course, however it’s easy from a realists point of view why @CaptainLazerGuns has the view he does. I don’t disagree with him.

I walked out of the park wishing I had of gone to Timezone instead as well...

Just on a parkz level for a minute, I remember this website was very critical of Dreamworld reopening after the TRR accident closure with a lot of the major rides being closed, and people on here (including the official articles) slaughtering the park. But somehow it’s ok for Movie World to announce the second coming of Jesus, and have 3 major headliner attractions closed..

• Like 2

I’m not going to say it’s right, because the app should have that info. But I’m guessing it’s because the app is from a third party vendor who couldn’t make that happen in time as it meant changing the app. 
Where as VRTP have complete control over their site so could change it. 

I’d be very surprised though if anyone was heading to a park that just opened and not checking their website or Facebook prior. Especially as those are the places the tell you that you need the app. 

The information should be everywhere possible, but I’d dare say the reason it’s not is more incompetence than subterfuge. 

15 minutes ago, T-bone said:

Just on a parkz level for a minute, I remember this website was very critical of Dreamworld reopening after the TRR accident closure with a lot of the major rides being closed, and people on here (including the official articles) slaughtering the park. But somehow it’s ok for Movie World to announce the second coming of Jesus, and have 3 major headliner attractions closed..

https://www.parkz.com.au/update/2016/12/16/442-Dreamworld_reopens_with_respect_and_dignity.html

Stop talking shit 

• Like 2

Geez thanks Joz! Appreciate it! I’m not saying EVERY article was like that, but there was a position over the course of the opening months on these forums and in an official article or two. Which ones? I haven’t got the time to sort through all the articles, and am purely going on mine and others memories. 

Well I have the time. The first negative article was 4 months on, and was a jibe at the advertising campaign that used fake atttactions and unrealistic experiences. A pretty fair a assessment . 

Then we returned to mostly positive articles cept the occasional reporting of negative items in the press etc. The articles were still positive at least a year later (which is when I stopped looking). 

So the bias is not with Parkz. It’s with people who have decided a narrative and are now making up evidence to support it. 

• Like 1

In a forum that is supposed to be friendly in nature, an abusive nature is not very nice coming from the admins. 

Sure say I’m wrong, that’s fine, but there is no need to be so incredibly rude. Everyone makes mistakes, no one is perfect. 

20200717_122349.thumb.jpg.5577c9dcfc72de17d0a4f9536fe97dd1.jpg

Taken out the front of MW today. I guess in Village's mind these work just as well because you see this before you buy your ticket, not after like the signs down by the gate. If you're going to gp digital after the park reopens is as good a time as any I guess. BUT it is digital though, and it scrolls through other things which isn't ideal. Personally I think the physical signs are better and should come back. Just thought people might enjoy the whole picture.

Edited by joz
  • Like 1

• rappa locked this topic