Theme Parks Reopening Post COVID-19

themagician

3 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

If anyone cares for it, here is an update from today.

Cyclone looks brilliant with the new paint job, looks like a brand new ride and it's much more fitting with the WWW theming, makes it blend in so much more. Hopefully they've done up the track a bit so it's a more comfortable ride experience, haven't been to Dreamworld since 2014 but by what people have said it sounds like it's getting shaky in its more recent years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, themagician said:

How are they covering up/fencing off the Big Red Car, Flowrider and the rest of Corroboree? 

Here's a couple of basic phone pics I took today. The Flowrider/Sidewinder area was also borded off, but easy enough for a cheeky slip through as shown above!  

20200916_151401.jpg

20200916_151330.jpg

Edited by OgreMagic
  • Like 1

Review: Dreamworld’s post-covid reopening falls flat

There were massive lines for Dreamworld’s reopening after a six-month coronavirus shutdown. But many visitors were disappointed when they finally got inside.

The usual raucous of thrill-ride squeals was reduced to just a buzz for Dreamworld’s long-awaited reopening with signature rides closed and the park littered with ‘attraction unavailable signs’.

Kids were dancing with excitement on the front lawn and punters were lined up in the hundreds at 10am, but once through the gates some thrill seekers – myself included – were left scratching their heads.

Scream-inducing rides The Giant Drop and Buzz Saw had closed for maintenance – set to reopen on September 23 – while the Sidewinder rollercoaster has closed until October 30 as part of a longer remodel of the park.

Just The Claw remained open for serious thrillseekers. “There was also Mick Doohan‘s Motocoaster and Tail Spin but they aren’t fast enough,” a teenage boy leaving the park at lunchtime said.

He said “it was a bit of a bummer” and I had to agree. It wasn’t the Dreamworld I remembered.

The entire ‘Corroboree’ section of the park had also been closed as part of the park’s covid-safe plan, meaning no animal viewings or popular Australian Sheep Shearing Show for visitors.

Also closed due to COVID-19 was the Dreamworld Express, Mad Jungle Jam playground, and ABC Kids World, and, adding insult to injury, it was announced The Big Red Car and FloRider have both been permanently retired.

It was not all bad news: There were hardly any queues for the rides that were open, even with time allowed for staff to sanitise between each ride. Families with young children looked to be having a fantastic time and one little girl was celebrating her birthday with her first visit to Dreamworld.

The Tiger Island presentations at midday were a huge crowd-pleaser, as was the King Julian’s Theatre children’s show. And the Sky Voyager simulation across natural wonder of the United States was world-class entertainment. The quality of that ride gave me great hope for what Dreamworld will deliver in coming months and years, once the park’s top rides reopen.

Across the road at WhiteWater World, all of the rides and pools were open and punters of all ages were having a brilliant time facing absolutely no lines.

My memories of WhiteWater World involve a lot of time waiting in packed queues on metal staircases to get just one turn, so it came as quite a surprise to me that at 1pm on a sunny 24C day there were just a couple of dozen visitors at the water park.

Those there were visibly enjoying the VIP-feel, with one mum shocked her two kids were the only ones on the popular Pipeline Plunge water-playground.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/coronavirus/hibernation/review-dreamworlds-postcovid-reopening-falls-flat/news-story/7e398ea85944968f9cdb760efd8997f5

Funnily I didn’t see any opinion pieces criticising the VTP parks on their re-opening, especially MW which opened with more then half its slate out of action.. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

Funny what you can get away with when you're the first to re-open

Ain't that right. Obviously no one remembers those parks opening with such limited attractions. Cant also use the bullshit excuse about them having more time. Plus the restrictions meant many works could not take place. Just like VRTP. Cause no company wants to outlay more than they have to during this tough time.

My memories of WhiteWater World involve a lot of time waiting in packed queues on metal staircases to get just one turn, so it came as quite a surprise to me that at 1pm on a sunny 24C day there were just a couple of dozen visitors at the water park.

Possibly due to the fact it's a weekday.

15 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Did you see how long it took for giant drop to get a sign at the queue

I'm confused....Hasn't Giant Drop had a sign since it opened in 1998?

This pic is from TPRs visit 9 years ago:

https://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=356&linkid=10144&pageno=2

dreamw36.jpg

Edited by Gazza

12 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Funnily I didn’t see any opinion pieces criticising the VTP parks on their re-opening, especially MW which opened with more then half its slate out of action.. 

Probably because even with half it's stuff closed it's not a depressing shithole that keeps getting worse like DW looks in the photos from yesterday.

1 hour ago, StingRay said:

You clearly don't walk beyond the back of main street then do you.

Which main street? The main street that splits off into a depressing dead end at Buzzsaw, a depressing dead end at Giant Drop, a depressing dead end at the Log Flume, a depressing dead end at Hotwheels, a depressing dead end at Trolls and a depressing dead end at big red car?

Edited by auspicious

52 minutes ago, auspicious said:

Which main street? The main street that splits off into a depressing dead end at Buzzsaw, a depressing dead end at Giant Drop, a depressing dead end at the Log Flume, a depressing dead end at Hotwheels, a depressing dead end at Trolls and a depressing dead end at big red car?

I see you cant spell Movieworld. 

Do they not have a main street anymore?. Feel free to hate. 

1 hour ago, auspicious said:

You’ve haven’t been to DW in a while have you?

BRC isn’t a deadend, it leads back to TI and DE.

no one is going to walk to the RHLR as it’s closed and the only thing there. 

Sidewinder is at the end of a path and is closed so no one is walking down to it. ditto Buzzsaw. 

I don't get it. When MW reopened it had a heap of stuff closed, so it got bashed. Now DW months later has also opened with a heap of stuff closed, so people are bashing MW.

Reality is DW has changed, I'm willing to give 'new' DW the benefit of the doubt for now to see how the new vision takes shape. The plan seems to be to shrink the park, reality is that's probably all they can do with the hole they're in. You cant argue against that walk to the mostly closed Corroboree past closed shit is depressing. Same as anyone walking past the plaza at MW when Scooby was down for those couple of days was depressing.

But if for some reason you think what MW did was wrong while saying DW won't do the same thing, and when months later they did do the same thing so you rip into MW again for some reason you need to think about your attitude.

Personally, I don't have a problem with either TBH. Reality is what it is right now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, StingRay said:

I see you cant spell Movieworld. 

Do they not have a main street anymore?. Feel free to hate. 

Mate you and your DW fanpage buddies have hated on MW for months with bullshit like saying they're risking people's lives, bullying the govt and cutting corners to sell the place. None of which are true.

DW has reopened and it's shambles and your rushing to their defence and bringing a few remaining issues at MW into it for no reason than to deflect from the fact that DW is falling to bits.

22 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

BRC isn’t a deadend, it leads back to TI and DE.

My bad. Definitely no dead ends at BRC where they've shut half the park.

17 hours ago, OgreMagic said:

20200916_151330.jpg

25 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

no one is going to walk to the RHLR as it’s closed and the only thing there. 

Umm thats the point. Everywhere you look theres a dead end with something temporarily or permenently closed.

• Like 1

The dead ends at both suck. And Doomsday also being closed doesn’t help things either, same with ex intensity. 

But when Wild West reopens next week there will be big ole life back down that end of the park. WB Kids is alive on that side, and rivals covers the other. 

The big issue I think Dreamworld have on their hands is two or 3 of their dead spots won’t be active again for quite some time. And the fact people know it’s there makes it a bit depressing. Kind of like when Wonderland closed Little Wonders Land. Removing it from the map didn’t stop being being depressed it was sat closed. 

43 minutes ago, rappa said:

The dead ends at both suck. And Doomsday also being closed doesn’t help things either, same with ex intensity. 

But when Wild West reopens next week there will be big ole life back down that end of the park. WB Kids is alive on that side, and rivals covers the other. 

The big issue I think Dreamworld have on their hands is two or 3 of their dead spots won’t be active again for quite some time. And the fact people know it’s there makes it a bit depressing. Kind of like when Wonderland closed Little Wonders Land. Removing it from the map didn’t stop being being depressed it was sat closed. 

Thats true. Thats the biggest parallel that can be drawn onto this. When they closed Hanna Barbera Land ( or Little Wonders as it was then know) it didnt make any sense or logic or reason. You had The Beastie sitting there tantalisingly close and all that land that should have been filled with families having fun. It was the beginning of the end for Wonderland. I am not suggetsing that this is what is going to occur to Dreamworld but i strongly oppose the idea of the park reducing in size for any reason. Its a big step back in my opinion and the memories of the history that occured at Wonderland are still very fresh and perplexing in my mind.

1 hour ago, Flynn_Smith said:

Your logic is pathetic. WWF is a dead end, is it not?

What do you expect? If a ride is closed for maintenance, of course there's going to be a dead end.

Also why does there need to be a competition between DW and MW? We should support both parks, and appreciate the efforts that both parks have gone to, to ensure they are safe and open for the public. 

Get your head out of your ass  ARSE - it's not a hat. Don't get so offended if someone supports a park you don't like.

*Before I get bashed, i'm not defending Dreamworld at all. I think both parks have done their best to open up as much as possible, and they should be applauded and supported for that. We're lucky in QLD to have parks open at all.*

Fixed that for you..."arse" is  much more Aussie friendly and preferred for mine!!

What sucks most about DWs dead ends, between Main Street and what’s left of Corroboree, there is nothing. There is Giant Drop, but that’s closed. It’s a long walk to get back there and when you do, there’s not much left right now. From Main Street to the back corner of Corroboree it’a almost 900 metres return 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flynn_Smith said:

Your logic is pathetic. WWF is a dead end, is it not?

What do you expect? If a ride is closed for maintenance, of course there's going to be a dead end.

Also why does there need to be a competition between DW and MW? We should support both parks, and appreciate the efforts that both parks have gone to, to ensure they are safe and open for the public. 

Get your head out of your ass - it's not a hat. Don't get so offended if someone supports a park you don't like.

Wait what? What even does that last line mean? I'm criticising a major company with lots of flaws. Yet you (and @Jobe) seem to think personal insults are appropriate for anyone that dares to say that DW is looking rubbish. That's pretty childish.

WWF and a few other things @joz pointed out suck at MW. I didn't bring up direct comparisons to MW. @StingRay did and I replied with a list of things from DW seeing as he decided to make this about DW vs MW's failings for some reason.

You're right its not a competition. But no we shouldn't all support both blindly. Do you go back to your favourite restaurant after it repeatedly gives you food poisoning?  I don't hate DW but I definitely hate what it's looking like right now. And my idea of support isn't to ignore how bad DW looking and pretend they're getting better when it keeps getting worse.

I'm not offended that people like DW. I'm amused by the hipocrasy from the DW fanboys who went as far as calling the vrtp boss a wanker and said they were risking the public's safety when they reopened but have been mysteriously quiet about DW reopening.

Edited by auspicious

4 hours ago, auspicious said:

Mate you and your DW fanpage buddies have hated on MW for months with bullshit like saying they're risking people's lives, bullying the govt and cutting corners to sell the place. None of which are true.

If I recall correctly VRTP was indeed jumping up and down saying let us open. I get it was for the workforce they had sitting either on job seeker of casuals waiting in the wings. I also understand it was to help keep the local economy running. But they did carry on.

While you sit back in your computer gaming chair snickering away I do enjoy other parks. I enjoy the VRTP properties also. People are allowed to have a personal choice or preference. If we didn't then we would all be driving the same cars and living in identical houses.

So while I don't show my VRTP love all the time they do indeed so things are great. But sometimes its also nice to go for the underdog and encourage it along I believe. That's something I've done for the last 15 years.

If you can show evidence while breaking NDA's about the future sale of VRTP then go for it. Because no one would even know the future sale of DW either.

34 minutes ago, auspicious said:

I'm not offended that people like DW. I'm amused by the hipocrasy hypocrisy from the DW fanboys who went as far as calling the vrtp boss a wanker and said they were risking the public's safety when they reopened but have been mysteriously quiet about DW reopening.h

Prove to me I personally said that.

Also fixed your grammar error for you.

6 minutes ago, StingRay said:

If you can show evidence while breaking NDA's about the future sale of VRTP then go for it.

Current shareholders will be able to retain their shares. The kirby family are remain in charge and a major shareholder. Its moving the company from public to private, not selling. That's not NDA stuff. Thats in public announcements.

8 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Prove to me I personally said that.

I never said you said that? But collectively you and the ppl that run the DW page have waged a war that no one else is fighting against village, and said all the things I listed.

At the time VRTP were jumping up and down saying to let them open to massive numbers, it was also at the early stages of the pandemic. The second wave in Victoria was getting started when VRTP were campaigning to reopen, so it is easy to see why people including myself were concerned about the parks reopening too early.
On the contrary, Ardent has opened at a time where we know more about the virus thanks to time, and we seem to have a better hand on it than what we did back earlier in the year. 
That is part of the reason you haven't seen many people jump up and down about Ardent opening.

In terms of the park, you can't deny (and I certainly won't) that AWE, Rocky Hollow and Giant Drop regions are depressing, id almost campaign that they should open the train to take people to the vintage cars to avoid people walking past the depressing area. However, a large portion of that area around Giant Drop is due to chopped up and significantly changed when the coaster starts construction. No point making a gold plated concrete path when in a few months it is going to be chopped up. 

In regards to the ride closures (temp ones), ok, you can argue that Dreamworld hasn't opened up with many main rides, having shut TOT, RHLR, Wipeout and BRC, but out of all the rides that are intended to reopen, you have 4 rides closed, Giant Drop which I believe was cycling today, Buzzsaw which we know is a difficult machine as it already is, Sidewinder (re-themeing committed to prior to Covid) and Dreamworld Express. Out of all the rides that are yet to reopen, the list is quite small when compared to what opened down at Movie World with the park. You can easily stack the argument by saying "But you need to count TOT, RHLR, Wipeout, BRC", ok, sure, if you want to do that, lets look at Sea World where you can then say "What about Monorail, Jet Rescue, Flume ride, some underwater exhibits (polar bears is one) and I think one of the rides in Nick land".

Fact is a majority of the rides at Dreamworld opened on day one, bar those 4 rides, minus one which reopened on the second day. Ontop of that, WWW opened with every slide and pool operational. 

11 minutes ago, T-bone said:

On the contrary, Ardent has opened at a time where we know more about the virus thanks to time, and we seem to have a better hand on it than what we did back earlier in the year. 

Except DW had petitioned for and gained approval to open months ago. At the same time that village started reopening. The only reason they didn't is because they were broke.

• rappa locked this topic