Theme Parks Reopening Post COVID-19

themagician

6 hours ago, auspicious said:

You can’t, not from a scientific viewpoint. Because it’s been an us vs them, qld vs nsw, ALP vs LNP parochial gamble ahead of an election that paid off. I don’t even hate it and I voted for this govt to stay but I’m not going to pretend that the nsw border hasn’t been pure politics

Yeah, just fuck off

• Like 1

where are these tantrums exactly?

Facebook, press conferences, closed door meetings between corporate and government... I mean - a COO whining at a press conference that the whole thing 'is bullshit' is a tantrum. That's not the sort of outburst one expects from an executive of a large public corporation

How do you explain areas of Brisbane remaining fully open when there’s a community outbreak but areas of NSW shut off from Qld despite no cases in months? (prior to last weeks easing off border restrictions)

Its very difficult to separate suburbs from each other in the same state. Victoria's 'ring of steel' has been breached numerous times, and has involved an enormous amount of equipment, manpower and logistics. When the 'Logan Liars' breached the border and made false declarations (the source of most cases in recent SEQ times), they had exposures from Ipswich to the Redlands, BCC and Logan council areas. Its impossible to 'separate' that. But you deal with cases in your own backyard. You don't import new ones - you manage the risk with the existing population.

Sydney isn't allowed in even though the rest of NSW is because 'greater sydney' has a lot of crossover. 4 unexplained cases in 3 different localities means the spread could be far larger. Sydney siders work all over. When I lived in Sydney, I lived around the Penrith area, and within a few years (without moving house) I worked from Hornsby, Castle Hill, Parramatta, Cronulla, Eastgardens, Sydney City and everything in between. 

The mobility of Sydney means a case in Castle hill can just as easily reach Sutherland as it can Campbelltown. So 'greater sydney' is the hotspot, not 'castle hill'.

I’m not going to pretend that the nsw border hasn’t been pure politics

It'd be pretty hard to pretend. It hasn't. Anyone who thinks the Premier's position on the Queensland Border has been about politics either needs to stop sucking Murdoch's tit, or declare their LNP membership card at the door.

• Like 3

Oh good @AlexB the expert at everything speaks. Murdoch is trash. LNP offered nothing. Labor have handled covid well and won that election largely because of that handling. I have already said that. But they plucked the '28 days of no community transmission' definition of a hotspot out of no where in the months leading up to the election. Theres no WHO or legitimate scientific basis for this hardline '28 day' policy. Feel free to post links to medical/scientific materials that suggest otherwise.

The curves were flattened with open borders through far more targeted and swift declarations of actual hotspots as needed months before the borders were closed. And that 'logan liar' situation you mentioned showed that community compliance with social distancing and swift contact tracing is both ncredibly effective and far more important because this virus can and does slip through the cracks.

@Jdude95 yet again demonstrates his wit and intellect with his well researched rebuttal.

Edited by auspicious

17 hours ago, auspicious said:

What actual statement by village do you disagree with though? And where are these tantrums exactly?

What about the statement that the CEO of the company has “banned” the premier of the state from entering their theme parks? The same premier of a government who has dished out millions of dollars to said business to help build new attractions to entice tourism and keep their gates open? 

That for one example is what I’d call a childish tantrum. 

• Like 2

And anyone who thinks QLD did this for health and safety of its residents can check their Labor and ABC cards at the door. 
Politics is all about power and ego and doing what it takes to ensure you stay in at the next election, the decision on the border was based purely on this. 
The QLD government has come unstuck with their contradictions and we all know the QLD & NSW premiers hate each other and play off each other. 

4 hours ago, T-bone said:

What about the statement that the CEO of the company has “banned” the premier of the state from entering their theme parks? The same premier of a government who has dished out millions of dollars to said business to help build new attractions to entice tourism and keep their gates open? 

Banned? Erm no they cancelled a schedule political photo op because they weren't happy with how talks with the govt were going. Thats their right as a private business just as it was their right to allow the premier to visit in the first place for some positive pr.

Has nothing to do with the commercial loans they secured from the independently governed QTC.

@Jdude95 grow up. The edgelord schtick isn't as cool as you think it is.

Edited by auspicious

36 minutes ago, Original said:

The QLD government has come unstuck with their contradictions and we all know the QLD & NSW premiers hate each other and play off each other. 

I'm not saying you're wrong but if you could provide me an example of a contradiction that wasn't the cause of a spike in viruses / a new cluster, that would be great. I'm more curious to be honest as I've followed this closely from a life and work perspective and didn't see anything to show that. Labor have generally stuck to their guns. (annoying for work, good for life)

LNP however has constantly backflipped on the QLD border and don't have a national approach, seeing as the NSW premier (LNP) said the QLD LNP leader would have opened the border already if elected, and the QLD LNP Leader (at that time) was saying the QLD Border closed was the right move.

6 minutes ago, auspicious said:

Banned? Erm no they cancelled a schedule political photo op because they weren't happy with how talks with the govt were going. Thats their right as a private business just as it was their right to allow the premier to visit in the first place for some positive pr.

Has nothing to do with the commercial loans they secured from the independently governed QTC

Never said it had anything to do with the loans, just pointing out how much of a childish tantrum move it is. Good on them for sticking to their beliefs, just a shame both the CEO and COO have chucked childish tantrums towards the hand that was feeding them. By all means, chuck a tantrum, but don't do it in the way they have without expecting people to comment about how childish it is.

Yes QTC is independent, but it is also a government funded organization. Those loans aren't the only thing that has been handed to Village in recent times...

The fact that they had research done that suggested people wanted the border open and was done by the same group doing her election research and then opened the border to everyone bar Sydney. You look like you're keeping people safe, yet giving them what they want and opening. 

It being hard for people to get compassionate leave for people cross the border, yet movie stars and AFL players and families easily coming through. They claim the only thing they look after for their state is the health of their people. Yet when people quizzed why were some getting special treatment they claimed it was for the economy. So what is, the health or the economy?

Which is why when certain groups get exemptions for the 'economy' people like the airlines, theme parks and hotel groups say this is unfair on us. If you have the correct contact tracing in place then your state should have no problem opening and trading and when little areas pop up you can clamp down hard on it. 

Just now, red dragin said:

People seem to forget/not realise that it was the Federal Government that let Tom Hanks etc into the country.

I didn't think the problem was that Tom Hanks was allowed in.. it was that QLD Gov. allowed him to isolate in a multi-million dollar penthouse, while regular repatriated Australians had to stay in a small hotel room 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Flynn_Smith said:

I didn't think the problem was that Tom Hanks was allowed in.. it was that QLD Gov. allowed him to isolate in a multi-million dollar penthouse, while regular repatriated Australians had to stay in a small hotel room 🤷‍♂️

It was possible for other people to do this as well, there was a process out there that allowed for this (international returnees only I believe). This is how Dani Minogue was able to do it, took applications prior to returning to the country. I know someone in the coronavirus 'department'.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, T-bone said:

Never said it had anything to do with the loans, just pointing out how much of a childish tantrum move it is. Good on them for sticking to their beliefs, just a shame both the CEO and COO have chucked childish tantrums towards the hand that was feeding them. By all means, chuck a tantrum, but don't do it in the way they have without expecting people to comment about how childish it is.

Oh come on. You mentioned the loans to suggest village "owed" the premier something. That is the only reason you mentioned it so don't pretend otherwise. They got loans becuase it was commercially beneficial to QTC and qld as a whole.

Still haven't seen anyone quote any statements by anyone at village that are objectively wrong or show a tantrum. I see a company fighting for their future in a heavily politicized pre election environment.

Or is it just that the man with the transition lenses that a few of you decided you don't like said a naughty swear word to media?

42 minutes ago, T-bone said:

Those loans aren't the only thing that has been handed to Village in recent times...

Care to elaborate? Genuinely curious what you mean by this.

Edited by auspicious

1 hour ago, Original said:

The fact that they had research done that suggested people wanted the border open and was done by the same group doing her election research and then opened the border to everyone bar Sydney. You look like you're keeping people safe, yet giving them what they want and opening. 

It being hard for people to get compassionate leave for people cross the border, yet movie stars and AFL players and families easily coming through. They claim the only thing they look after for their state is the health of their people. Yet when people quizzed why were some getting special treatment they claimed it was for the economy. So what is, the health or the economy?

Which is why when certain groups get exemptions for the 'economy' people like the airlines, theme parks and hotel groups say this is unfair on us. If you have the correct contact tracing in place then your state should have no problem opening and trading and when little areas pop up you can clamp down hard on it. 

Gonna break this down.

First paragraph you took issue with the the research company being the same company for 2 different sets of research. I see where you're coming from but remember people tend to use the same companies if they like the service/cost. No need to change for no reason. What they did with the results is as displayed. But also I'll remind you they have always intended to open to NSW in November, but decided Sydney was too risky. The rest is personal opinion so I'll ignore that

Letting in a select controlled cast of movie stars (assuming you're referring to Tom Hanks here) allows the production for a whole film crew to start back up. not rocket science. On the health aspect, risk is super low. High profile so they can't break quarantine or everyone will know,  plus its low numbers of people, paying for their own quarantine. On an economic aspect, a heap of people are now back at work. 

AFL front, similar but larger scale. High profile, so when they broke quarantine and their bubble it was in the news and they were punished. AFL paid for everything also so economically it makes sense too.

The Airlines are welcome to run routes between the open states, SA, WA, NT, TAS, ACT. It was literally only 2 states barred from QLD. The other point is those businesses require 'tourists' in large hard to control numbers, often with low profile. That is a large health risk.

Things are obviously changing now, with VICs reports coming out cleaner than NSW so we could open to VIC sooner than Sydney.

2 hours ago, Original said:

Anyone can come to Qld, you still have to do your 2 weeks quarantine. 

There was a bit of misrepresentation around celebrities, people had the impression they were let straight in, without quarantine. 

49 minutes ago, Gazza said:

people had the impression they were let straight in, without quarantine

Whatever suited the bias in the media on the day.

I've no problem with private quarantine. To be honest, i'm sure anyone could have arranged to stay in fancy resort 'quarantine' if they were willing to pay that - as it stands a lot of people aren't even willing to pay the budget price for the normal hotels...

High profile actors are usually very respectful of local law requirements - Depp-inately some exceptions to that but consequences followed. I'd expect Hanks would be one to follow the rules for sure - especially when he and his wife were hospitalised and treated so well the first time, he of all people would be in a position to know what danger they were placing everyone in if they breached it.

At the end of the day, there's no use arguing with conspiracy theorists, lunatics and political oppositionists. They'll never listen to reasonable argument. It's like playing chess with a pigeon - they'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut around like they won.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, auspicious said:

Care to elaborate? Genuinely curious what you mean by this.

I’ve said enough as it is, some people will know what I’m referring to. 

This senseless discussion will probably be deleted anyway, but holy crap, everyone turn it down a dial, for the sake of everyone’s keyboard, please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • rappa locked this topic