Theme Parks Reopening Post COVID-19

themagician

Minor update at Movie World from my visit on Tuesday afternoon

Seating inside outlets such as Village Bean and Ben and Jerry’s are now back in place now with those outlets requiring guests to fill in contact details prior to sitting down 

Sea World’s outlets yesterday for some reason has their seating areas closed off

Just seems a bit ridiculous. if they're going to have an infection in the park and need to trace it, they aren't going to limit it just to the restaurant - they're going to contact everyone in park - nobody has any idea who they stood next to in line, or whatver. the gate records should be more than sufficient.

9 hours ago, AlexB said:

Just seems a bit ridiculous. if they're going to have an infection in the park and need to trace it, they aren't going to limit it just to the restaurant - they're going to contact everyone in park - nobody has any idea who they stood next to in line, or whatver. the gate records should be more than sufficient.

Based on the way they are working through these things the people in a restaurant are likely to be deemed close contacts and everyone else in the park deemed a casual contact which is actually pretty different.

And I'm sure the park would prefer to only lose a few staff rather than have the entire park's operations knocked out based on a single case.  That's a pretty good incentive to have contact details well organised by key locations.

10 hours ago, rappa said:

Being in a theme park doesn’t magically make that go away so they have to follow the regulations. 

I understand that, but being in a theme park, where details are already recorded on entry is a bit different to walking into a restaurant off the street where no prior details are recorded.

7 hours ago, RossL said:

Based on the way they are working through these things the people in a restaurant are likely to be deemed close contacts and everyone else in the park deemed a casual contact which is actually pretty different.

That does make sense though. Thanks for the good explanation.

7 hours ago, RossL said:

And I'm sure the park would prefer to only lose a few staff rather than have the entire park's operations knocked out based on a single case.

If the park has an infection, I would hope that the whole park is knocked out rather than trying to argue that the restaurant was the only close contact point.

I'd expect the whole park to be closed for a clean for a day.

The key reason for details in the restaurant, is allowing the contact tracers to focus on the most at risk cases first. The lady who has returned to Japan is a good example of this. They only need to contact people there at a certain time. It brings the list of people down to maybe 20 people vs an entire theme park of potentially 5000 (is that the current limitation) people.

Meanwhile, the airlines get to play hardball - they don't have to provide a flight manifest, as the people who purchased tickets haven't agreed to their data being shared with the health departments 🙄(and that is from a reliable source, one of the Qld Gov Coronavirus team). Hence why the government has to publicly call for passengers to come forward.

Edited by red dragin

5 hours ago, AlexB said:

If the park has an infection, I would hope that the whole park is knocked out rather than trying to argue that the restaurant was the only close contact point.

I'm inclined to agree somewhat, especially shut for a day for cleaning and contact tracing.  But I think the risk of an outdoor ride operator catching it off a guest is really very low.  Same for other food outlets where the case has not visited.  So forcing them to close for 14 days would also be pretty harsh on the back of a single case.

14 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Eat Safe isn’t capacity. It’s a food safety rating 

image.thumb.png.4bec158c55b62bc51a2243b49a68d73e.png

6 minutes ago, RossL said:

I'm inclined to agree somewhat, especially shut for a day for cleaning and contact tracing.  But I think the risk of an outdoor ride operator catching it off a guest is really very low.  Same for other food outlets where the case has not visited.  So forcing them to close for 14 days would also be pretty harsh on the back of a single case.

I wouldn't be suggesting 14 days - but just like the school where that cleaner worked - closing it until everyone got tested would be the smart move.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RossL said:

barely a single breath? 

6 to 10 if you go by statistical averages. Sources vary, but generally its accepted that the average adult respiratory rate is somewhere between 12-20 breaths per minute.

The risk is lower due to the lower exposure time, but there are way too many factors at play to say 'risk is low so keep the rides open'.

3 hours ago, RossL said:

Yes but the length of time is what 30 seconds, barely a single breath?  Close contacts in Australia are getting defined by more than 15 minutes within 1.5 metres.  Not impossible but realistically very low.

So within your world, you hold your breath a lot. Don't go asking for CPR then.

• rappa locked this topic