Has luna park sydney pulled the plug on 2 classic rides

1 hour ago, Slick said:

I have a rule in life - if the best thing about something is the car park it's probably shit.

So why so much shade towards a park then?. Is it because they don't have such an amazing coaster?. I've said this before and ill say it again. They know they ain't MW or DW. Heck even when LPS and Wonderland existed together for the month they did management knew Wonderland was more popular. But it was a vastly different beast.

1 hour ago, StingRay said:

So why so much shade towards a park then?

It's just a joke mate, it's all good! No need to be evangelical. Wild Mouse was my first ever roller-coaster, and like me, clearly the joint means a fair bit to a lot of folks out there.

I also reckon the joint has missed potential, and that has nothing to do with south-east Queensland. I'm quite taken back as to how stern and reactive folks are being to the equivalent of positive theme park fanfic. Like, fuck me for wanting to see a common interest be the best it can possibly be and not just a bunch of carnie rides. 😂

Edited by Slick

9 minutes ago, Slick said:

No need to be evangelical.

I also reckon it's missed potential, and that has nothing to do with south-east Queensland.

HAHA, I'm far from a Christian boy!

For sure its got missed potential. Rumours have circled this park much like its chequered history. I think eight or so years ago when they decided to head down the live entertainment route it changed the direction of the park. It was positive to add shows etc. But it has covered up some of the shortcomings of the park for sure.

What most definitely hurts the park now is this pandemic. Whatever major plans they might have had will definitely be pushed to the side. That's a sad thing. Because sometimes it is just a mural that needs touching up or something. I am still keen to see what rabbit can be pulled out of a hat, however. I know these two rides will be eventually missed when they leave (Tumble Bug & Ranger).

I just hope we don't lose one that really is unique. I pray they have at least been forward-thinking in that regard.

• Love it! 1

10 hours ago, 19Michael96 said:

Jesus all this tense bickering, arguing and sense of entitlement etc. going on in this forum over what LPS should and shouldn't do/have - a lot of it coaster centric - and here I am thinking: "bring back the River Caves!"

It would be an great idea to bring back the River Caves! But just like with an Roller Coaster, where do you put it? I am personally thinking that where Dodgem City is right now might be an good spot, and move the dodgems to Crystal Palace. But it would have to include basically knocking down some interior walls to fit in River Caves. And then possibly having an Eurofighter Coaster on top where Tumble Bug is now.

1 hour ago, AheadMatthewawsome said:

It would be an great idea to bring back the River Caves! But just like with an Roller Coaster, where do you put it? I am personally thinking that where Dodgem City is right now might be an good spot, and move the dodgems to Crystal Palace. But it would have to include basically knocking down some interior walls to fit in River Caves. And then possibly having an Eurofighter Coaster on top where Tumble Bug is now.

Mate you are somewhat inconsistent. You call for a Eurofighter at LPS but in another post say that one will not fit at LPM. The fact as I have stated is that there is far less usable space for a 2nd coaster at LPS compared to LPM. A custom Eurofighter at LPS WOULD be fantastic and utilising the Tumblebug spot could fit with some custom design. However, moving the Dodgems to the Crystal Palace , whilst a good idea ( and historically where they used to reside ) will not happen. The Crystal Palace is too important to LPS as a function venue and to cut that in half to accomodate the Dodgems would just not happen. The Dodgems in the 1995 incarnation were located under the Wild Mouse and whilst also a great location,  at the current time , this space is occupied by the Hungry Horse eatery.

The space left by the Dodgems would not be big enough to fit in a River Caves style attraction - to do so they would have to encroach on the Big Top , which of course they will not do.

11 hours ago, 19Michael96 said:

Jesus all this tense bickering, arguing and sense of entitlement etc. going on in this forum over what LPS should and shouldn't do/have - a lot of it coaster centric - and here I am thinking: "bring back the River Caves!"

The River Caves would be a great attraction to return to LPS but the problem is- where would it go? The  fact is that a 2nd coaster is far easier to fit into the attraction lineup than the return of the River Caves, and one that I DO see actually occuring in the future. Would love to see the River Caves return, but unfortunately, too much real estate has been taken up with the Big Top and the front Function venue for that to ever become a reality, IMHO. To fit in the River Caves , one of these has to go and we have already talked about how important the Function Centre's are to LPS's survival. I just cannot see it happening.

Edited by Jobe
  • Like 1

I actually do have an idea of how to bring back the River Caves; whether it’s feasible or not is another thing but it’s just my fantasy: they acquire some of the railway land behind Maloneys Corner once the stabling sidings are eventually disused. Not a whole lot but just enough that it fits the footprint of the original ride, and then rebuild a new, modernised River Caves accordingly. Then the rest of the railway land could be converted into the proposed walkway the Lavender Bay residents have come up with, with maybe one section of track retained for heritage runs. I can’t see it being impractical to do; it’s more so just a matter of money and will power that would stop such a thing. I know Multiplex said years ago that they’d love to see the River Caves return when they took over the park in 2004, and yes that was 16 years ago and times change, but it’s left me optimistic. In any case, I just would like to LPS invest in more easy-going and gentle permanent rides. Not everyone can handle the thrills and spills of roller coasters and droppers. I’ve said this for three years; LPS needs balance. Not just between functions and events and rides, but also with the ride types themselves; they need both gentle and thrilling. And I think the River Caves would be a good contender. Sigh, if only Peter Kingston was able to retain the original River Caves as is ala Coney Island. They really screwed him over at the auction. Oh well.

10 minutes ago, 19Michael96 said:

LPS needs balance. Not just between functions and events and rides, but also with the ride types themselves; they need both gentle and thrilling. And I think the River Caves would be a good contender. Sigh, if only Peter Kingston was able to retain the original River Caves as is ala Coney Island. They really screwed him over at the auction. Oh well.

LPS has balance. From the Carousel, Ferris wheel right up to Hair Raiser & The Rotor. The functions started occurring twelve months ago the park reopened back in 2004. So in 2005 the park realised they needed more money and to justify the fact the crystal palace had a major upgrade and why the Big Top was constructed.

It made sense to therefor start offering wedding packages and corporate packages. From MTV music awards to car launches to weddings. I know it would piss many people off. But honestly. it pays the bills much better than the annual pass.

River caves would be nice. But you have no space. Unless you are willing to knock down the Big Top and build in on that site. Many issues exist in doing that as The Big Top also serves at BOH. I understand the nostalgia. I really do. People would be like why do we have the rotor then. It was a massive haul mark of a ride for the park that was a super small footprint. Rotor MK2 is, in fact, a lot smaller than the original one that was located where Hair Raiser is today. 

Yes, coney island was saved. But you know it fell into disrepair?. All of the slides still utilise original framing, Roof was changed along with the floor. If you look around you'll see "drains" they are to help aid airflow and help in the event of a fire. So yes Coney was saved but I think personally it serves a better purpose today than the River caves would. Even tho it is a WHS nightmare to keep open. The free social media they get some that funhouse is amazing.

1 hour ago, Jobe said:

Mate you are somewhat inconsistent. You call for a Eurofighter at LPS but in another post say that one will not fit at LPM. The fact as I have stated is that there is far less usable space for a 2nd coaster at LPS compared to LPM. A custom Eurofighter at LPS WOULD be fantastic and utilising the Tumblebug spot could fit with some custom design. However, moving the Dodgems to the Crystal Palace , whilst a good idea ( and historically where they used to reside ) will not happen. The Crystal Palace is too important to LPS as a function venue and to cut that in half to accomodate the Dodgems would just not happen. The Dodgems in the 1995 incarnation were located under the Wild Mouse and whilst also a great location,  at the current time , this space is occupied by the Hungry Horse eatery.

The space left by the Dodgems would not be big enough to fit in a River Caves style attraction - to do so they would have to encroach on the Big Top , which of course they will not do.

The River Caves would be a great attraction to return to LPS but the problem is- where would it go? The  fact is that a 2nd coaster is far easier to fit into the attraction lineup than the return of the River Caves, and one that I DO see actually occuring in the future. Would love to see the River Caves return, but unfortunately, too much real estate has been taken up with the Big Top and the front Function venue for that to ever become a reality, IMHO. To fit in the River Caves , one of these has to go and we have already talked about how important the Function Centre's are to LPS's survival. I just cannot see it happening.

I was going to mention about the economic's of having the River Caves, but I decided to not mention it. Unless if you could find some sort of science fiction way to be able to safely have it as both an dodgems and a ballroom at the same time, it is not going to happen. And you would also have to knock down some interior walls, extend the building further to the cliff edge. And you would also have to remove a large chunk of the foyer at the Big Top. As I have been to neither Big Top or Crystal Palace yet, I don't know if other places would be affected. And as functions is the main profit for Luna Park, it will cut an huge hole into the income of the park. And then if you include construction costs, I will let you think what would happen.

With LPM, I have personally never have been to LPM before, nor really anywhere outside of Sydney in my life. So I am not an expert anywhere outside of Sydney really. And I was only thinking about the space where Metropolis used to be. But when you told us about the S&S coaster, which I did not know anything about, I just knew that it would be perfect at LPM. 

I do apologize for not mentioning it beforehand.

27 minutes ago, 19Michael96 said:

I actually do have an idea of how to bring back the River Caves; whether it’s feasible or not is another thing but it’s just my fantasy: they acquire some of the railway land behind Maloneys Corner once the stabling sidings are eventually disused. Not a whole lot but just enough that it fits the footprint of the original ride, and then rebuild a new, modernised River Caves accordingly. Then the rest of the railway land could be converted into the proposed walkway the Lavender Bay residents have come up with, with maybe one section of track retained for heritage runs. I can’t see it being impractical to do; it’s more so just a matter of money and will power that would stop such a thing. I know Multiplex said years ago that they’d love to see the River Caves return when they took over the park in 2004, and yes that was 16 years ago and times change, but it’s left me optimistic. In any case, I just would like to LPS invest in more easy-going and gentle permanent rides. Not everyone can handle the thrills and spills of roller coasters and droppers. I’ve said this for three years; LPS needs balance. Not just between functions and events and rides, but also with the ride types themselves; they need both gentle and thrilling. And I think the River Caves would be a good contender. Sigh, if only Peter Kingston was able to retain the original River Caves as is ala Coney Island. They really screwed him over at the auction. Oh well.

I agree that there needs to be gentle rides available, I don't ride stuff like the Moon Ranger, as I even puke on an kids teacup ride! There has already been an proposal for that which we have already talked about on this forum, it is called The Highline. And even if the plan goes into place, there will be no room to fit in River Caves in the new land. And if you want to use the back of the park for River Caves, you won't be able to fit in anything else!

• 1 month later...

When I asked Billy about a month ago about Moon Ranger and Tumble Bug, he said “we can only hope”. Seems like that hope is lost. I’ve seen that fence on Tumble Bug before. But Moon Ranger is now a goner. With the loading platform, and especially if the motor is gone. The Moon Ranger is going to scrap. And I think Tumble Bug is next. It’s very disappointing for me. As I never got an opportunity to ride either ride. As I was so worried about getting sick and covering the park 9ft deep in vomit. Does anybody know is there’s any rides in Australia or in the world that are the same model as either ride? What could be coming next?

I can confirm that the Moon Ranger will be closed. It's now public knowledge and staff aren't worried about talking about it. We know that the ride will be replaced by something else. We could see this around mid to late 2021. We don't know what it will be, so we can all speculate!

I'm thinking a Disk'O ride would be a good idea. Specifically the Mega Disk'O with 40 seats. Putting it where the kids rides are now. And have the kids rides being put where the Moon Ranger is now, or at Lavender Green. It would be themed to the Whirler (a former ride at LPS). With the current Whirler sign as the new entrance. The eye of the sign would be on the floor of the ride vehicle. And the track would be coloured red. There would also be a food and drink stand on the side of the ride themed to the ride (like the Helter Skelter Cafe). It would be the largest Disk'O in Australia (by seats).

I've seen on the bottom of the ride some wheels that have been put on. Could this mean that the Moon Ranger could become a travelling fair? We don't know.

My final remarks on the ride is: 'The time was going to come, you can see how old it was as you could see it was made in West Germany. I sadly never went on the ride to prevent the park being 9ft deep in vomit. But I hope whatever comes next will be great (like a Disk'O)!

The only way to move the ranger is to have the trailers recertified fit for purpose. So that process should not take a long time but the trailers have had modifications over the years. So stacking the platform won't be easy etc. Also, the main boom arm has not been lowered since the ride was back on-site in February 2004. So a lot of work is going to be required. Once they swing the gondola and set it onto the main trailer things should be fine. Then off it goes onto its new life.

replacement wise I don't know. Lavender bay is set to undergo a few changes with a new walking track etc. Could the kids' rides be eventually moved onto the current site of the tumble bug?. Always been a possibility. Could see another multi-purpos. marquee installed in Maloneys corner much like they did back in 2004/05.